Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

UX Components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UX Components

Good day all,
    I am new to Alpha. I have been advised that if I intend to write an app that has to run on a desktop and a mobile device, I should stay clear of grid components and use UX componenets as these are more suitable for mobile. Is this true?
    I have since started using alpha and grids are a no brainer, but UX components take some more work. I have since watched the videos and tried my hand at UX componenets.
    Question: If I create a list in a ux component I will list say 5 fields of 40 in the table. Now if I want to create a CRUD action against the record I need access to all the fields in the record. I also see that you cannot use another ux component to use as a CRUD component that is created outside the list properties. Is this so or am I missing something.
    All help appreciated.

Regards

Neville Dearham

Re: UX Components

Hi Neville,

Yes... the UX component is the best choice for a mobile app. For your List question... you can display 5 fields in the List, but by using the Detail View of the List control, you can edit/update all 40 fields. The List control normally resides in a PanelCard control, and the Detail View of the List will reside in another PanelCard. You can set up the List so that tapping on a row in the List will set the Detail View PanelCard active. The update/synchronize process will run from the Detail View.

Comment

I would go against all advice, and say you can use grids as well and it depends on what you prefer and what your needs are. I use both and find that in some things the grids work very well and in other ways the UX and list controls are totally awesome. I personally have created a saas app that uses grids and UX and I am happy with them all. I would venture to say that the interesting thing about Alpha is they all run well on both desktop AND tablet and phones! I just bought an IPAD to ensure testing results on my end in the top systems - to my surprise - Alpha performs well and I am not worried about a grid or a UX when it comes to what works best on mobile devices. I think the number one thing to remember is that these mobile devices are ALWAYS looking to improve - so what that really means is that they can render about anything, and well. My advice is to learn to use what suits your needs best - Alpha serves it up quickly and efficiently either way!
      NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Thank you very much guys. I really appreciate your input.
        I will take this bull by the horns and run with it.
        I am sure I will be back with more question.

Regards

Neville

Comment

This blog done recently will show the benefits of the UX in mobilizing web sites. see Blog I haven't used grids for almost 2 years now.
          Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
          Albert Einstein, (attributed)
          US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Nice work Peter. I too only use UX components and List controls and panels. I believe they give you more power than grids. However, I do miss using grids sometimes. I code everything now as if it were mobile.

Comment

It seems like all functionality is now inside one component (the newest ux). I personally would like more the Delphi approach of components.

Comment

Thanks Lee - truth is - moving forward the more a web presence can handle both environments the more chance of the message getting through to the customer resulting in a sale for them, that's the goal. While the UX is a super component being able be bound, it can also host list components each of which can be autonomous, it also plays a role in calling smaller UX components for simpler tasks. If find it very powerful and profitable to work with. Cheers. Pete
                Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Originally posted by Neville View Post
                  Good day all,
                  I am new to Alpha. I have been advised that if I intend to write an app that has to run on a desktop and a mobile device, I should stay clear of grid components and use UX componenets as these are more suitable for mobile. Is this true?
                  I have since started using alpha and grids are a no brainer, but UX components take some more work. I have since watched the videos and tried my hand at UX componenets.
                  Question: If I create a list in a ux component I will list say 5 fields of 40 in the table. Now if I want to create a CRUD action against the record I need access to all the fields in the record. I also see that you cannot use another ux component to use as a CRUD component that is created outside the list properties. Is this so or am I missing something.
                  All help appreciated.

Regards

Neville Dearham
                  If you're writing specifically for a user on a non-desktop situation, UX (which can cheerfully contain grids) are the way to go.

However, there is no reason not to use a grid for crud on desktop. I've asked Alpha directly about Grids "going away" and I've been assured they will not.

Alpha allows for some really amazing programs to be written, but sometimes you just want to give users a grid to get some edits done. Nothing is faster or easier than a grid for this.

When you're looking for that "that was easy moment" for editing records, grids are it.

Comment

Working...
                  X