Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

I am fully disappointed !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I am fully disappointed !!

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
    I won't list any here. This site is alpha!
    There are about 20 RAD that can match close or even surpass. They also vary in price and mostly more expensive, also some have a bit more hand coding involved.

You are probably best right where you are.
    Thanks DaveM for your guidance. I appreciate you suggesting I continue to use what I already said I was going to. Are you related to the other poster? Your comments have the same actionable feel, by that I mean none.

I hope you're happy right where you are too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

Boy this thread has gone down hill. It's a shame.
      Mike Brown - Contact Me
      Programmatic Technologies, LLC
      Programmatic-Technologies.com
      Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

I think the real trick is to help the original poster to get his problem solved. I use the desktop side so must leave it to you alpha web gurus to help.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by mikeallenbrown View Post
          Boy this thread has gone down hill. It's a shame.
          Agreed. I've asked for the project in order to have a look. Hopefully, AboNAif will post it and we can see if something is going on. Lots of variables... server... connection... etc... but at least the code can be ruled out. Hope we get back on track.

Comment

I will say this much. I use JS, html5, sql, etc. every day with no speed issues. So unless something gets written wrong, it usually works pretty fast. My apps are opened on all types of phones and don't seem to have any problems other than an occasional issue with broken text.
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Nice to know how many developers in this thread are actually using Alpha UX for phonegap development.

Comment

Every RAD tool in the market will cause overhead of line coding that started in the middle '90. The challenge for the vendor is to keep the generated code as low much as possible.
                I think the main purpose of RAD tooling has not changed to help to keep the developer staying away from low level repeating code. No RAD tool is bad these days.
                RAD tools service different type of developers van beginner to experts. They all make in indepent choice what tool will help to get the job done fast and simple.
                It's the difference what your knowledge experience time and budget?

It has no value to reply to old post to compare other vendors what is the purpose?
                Currently i am working on a project for a volunteer organisation [Altzheimer] the have no money, i have time of the world.
                If the would have a budget i would write it in A5 and deliver it 3 months the hole stuff for XXX, but know i am a keyboard monkey working with node express jade gulp bower jails pencilblue mongo and lot more, the difference i have the knowlegde and interest the other developer needs the build apps fast secure and in time, that is the market for A5 a great tool.

m2p, btw stick to the subject!

cheers

Eric

Comment

Good points of RAD tools

But Rad or not means nothing to the end user. The final apps performance means. If customer is happy then everything is good. ( I am talking here about Phonegap apps, just like in all my post in this thread)

Comment

The (legacy) application server probably isn't helping here; if you use the IIS AA plugin things will be faster and as of IIS10 (in Windows Server 2016) http2 will be supported accelerating things even more.
                    Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

I would send the app to selwyn and ask him to take a look at it because you followed it as outlined and it runs slow. I would not be surprised to hear that there has been a code change to improve performance somewhere with phonegap or alpha and a simple change would correct it. If you were able to use chromes developer tools you could maybe see what the hold up is. There was a time when google maps were actually causing a holdup. You may have an extension enabled that is failing and your app is waiting for the callback and appearing to hang a lot. I would look into and remove any unnecessary extensions and or styles. The most common speed issues I have come across were third party calls that take forever to get a response, usually due to new versions of api's.
                      NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Fwiw, it's taken me 8 months from zero to an iOS app. The iOS app was designed for an iPad 2. I use disconnected, local storage, client side data cache, 60 days of data spread across 3 hierarchal lists. Lots of potholes getting going like compression and minify kill performance on iPad 2 but were fine on 6s. It's a good product but you don't want to code this by hand.

Comment

Hi,
                          I don't know if this thread is still on track.
                          Samsung tab 3 is slow... Disregardless of alpha anywhere. I tried the same app on Lenova and on galaxy tab 3 (I don't know of there are many configuration of the tab 3), Definetly the galaxy tab is SLOWWWW.
                          Even other apps are slow on Galaxy tab 3.
                          Nevertheless I have many issues with disconnect app (and even connected) with alpha anywhere. Either I am still not very knowledgable in this area or it is still not robust enought.. Honestly I am starting to have 2 "angry customers" the only 2 I promised something with alpha...
                          In my own opinion the main issue with alpha anywhere is the lack of "professional books" or documentation. It is like a hidden secrect that eveybody has to discover by his own.
                          This forum is great but at the same time as a professional developer I cannot be at the mercy of/waiting for someone willing to help. My customers will not understand that there is something not working as it should because I have a trick missing. and there is no way I can learn that trick without someone from the forum helping me.
                          Honestly after 3 years in "learning alpha" I am looking to switch ship.
                          Alpha is great many many many easy feature. But 1 small undocumented issue makes you loose all the time you saved previously...
                          I prefer to have less options but more robust and more documented.
                          Every few days there is a new release with new features (great). but if I am going to follow the releases and new features (some working some not) I will stay all day learning and not working...
                          At the same time waiting for the official release is not possible because of bug fixes (the new release created new bugs fixed in the coming pre-release) etc..
                          The dream is that Alpha releases 1 very detailed and professional books with ALL features explained then add a new release with a new book every year or so... (no or very little bugs) Update should only fix existing bugs and not add features (with new bugs)...
                          unfortunately I don't think this is possible. Because some options work and if you add other options to it it does not work anymore etc..
                          sorry for my long reply but I am also confused and disappointed (I may have lost 3 years learning "xbasic" & "grids (not used a lot anymore)" and "ux list"... which I will never needs in any other platfomr (In case I decided to change...)
                          Have a nice weekend.

Paul

Comment

In my own opinion the main issue with alpha anywhere is the lack of "professional books" or documentation. It is like a hidden secrect that eveybody has to discover by his own.

Yes. This is supposedly being addressed according to the roadmap.

I prefer to have less options but more robust and more documented.

Many developers feel the same way.
                            Peter
                            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Thank you for your answer Peter.
                              At least it makes me feel not alone....
                              But the problem remain (and I would like some new developer opinion) how can someone relatevely new to alpha develop an application that works (even after an upgrade and or some modifications)....
                              I develop a ux that it working... I leave it working and do something else, meanwhile I upgrade alpha to a new release. Then I have to do a very small modification to the UX and BANG it stops working and I cannot figure what's wrong. I need to spend many hours and sometime delete the ux and do it from scratch to make it work again (to be fair I feel the latest version are having less problems but it still happens and it is frustrating).
                              I really don't understand how a relatevely new developer can work with ALPHA. I am not talking about the couple of person that are using alpha since v1...
                              I am really interested to know what kind of applications are being developed and how many years of experience did it require to do it..
                              I am now 44year old and I feel the time left I have in this life will not be enough for me to be able to correctly debug an app in a logical manner and not by trial and error...
                              Thank you again for your answer and this forum and people participating to it are the best...

Paul

Comment

Paul,
                                It's not Alpha or the code that it is generated it's functionality of complexity in layers and customer demands and type of devices.
                                True your spending more time in debugging then coding 80% of the job is done by the tool.

In de mid '80 we wrote Progress 4GL code on a IBM unix machine like:

Def x for customer_insert use customers with 2 colums on error retry.

Now do the same thing on a UX you get 7000 lines of code.

Comment

Working...
                                X