Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Mobile - is someone else having such difficulities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile - is someone else having such difficulities?

how to deal with such issues...

Today I had an issue with a UX component. When clicking on back button - to go back to the main menu (first panel). it displays blank. While when it opens first (when loading the app) it works and the panel is displayed correctly. (phonegap)
    Let me be specific so you understand my level of frustration. Don't understand me wrong, I am looking to understand how other succesult AA programmers deals with such issues. I am in no way trying to critisize alpha.
    There are the steps I made to develope the app. check at the end the issue and resolution (this took me from the 9:00 til 16:00 to fix it)..
    The work was not completed in one day it is a work of few weeks working on this and other project (non alpha). Today was just to fix this blank panel issue)
    1- I developed the panels and tested the layout (back / next etc..)
    2- I added the list boxes with detail view when needed.
    3- tested again even on the phone with phonegap.. it works..
    4- I continued the development with many things working and not till I have it working.. via working preview , live preview and browser viewer.
    5- Meanwhile I added panels, removed panels etc..
    5- I updated the phonegap and BANGGGGGG when going back to the main ux it opens a blank page... 1st it open well bit when trying to go bak to it, it displays blank.

What I did to debug
    1-check versions of AA (same in developer and on server)
    2-updated to the latest pre-release
    3-tried it on another phone
    4-rename the 1st panel
    5-delete the 1st panel and re-create it from scratch
    6-tried it on the browser phone
    etc.. don't remember all the the steps...

at the end this was the issue.
    In phonegap I specified that this is a portrait app (this was not done today so I forgot about it).
    In my main panel, ALL the buttons do not fit on the same screen (you have to scroll down). just 1 button was half viewable- when you open the app for the first time.
    when I removed the portrait only layout. When I click back I get a blank screen,If I rotate the device to landscape (I forgot to speficy this is working on a motorala tc55 device but same behavior with a normal phone). then back to protrait it refreshes well...
    So I beleive that the issue is from having a fixed protrait layout in phonegap and having the items not fitting on the whole page (maybe I don't know). But now it works (I think I will test it again after a break)..

How to deal wit such issues?

I have another issue with another customer where datas are either not synching every time or getting duplicated on a disconected app.
    This customer is tired from me and is looking now for someone else. While He has a complete accounting system from me and I just promised him a small mobile app as an addon...

thank you for reading the long post..
    I am just curious to know if someone else is having similar bugs/issues (I don't know what it is called) etc..

Paul

Re: Mobile - is someone else having such difficulities?

Paul,

I think it is called a "learning curve" of a platform that is evolving continuously & fast in a (mobile) world that is evolving even faster...
    There are no easy or magic solutions & there never were in software development I think. So don't just offer to quickly do something for a customer for some fixed -low- price because both of you may end up frustrated regardless of what tool you are using.
    Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

i just read something in the pre-release notes about delaying the time to draw a panel until the outer container loads, or something like that...might be relevant.
      http://www.ajaxvideotutorials.com/V1...ight100pct.swf
      NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper87 View Post
        There are no easy or magic solutions & there never were in software development I think.
        Are you sure :). You need to check this.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulAmmoun View Post
          I have another issue with another customer where datas are either not synching every time or getting duplicated on a disconected app.
          Did you check the advice given to you in an other thread to enable Use server-side synchronization log table.

Comment

Hi,
            Thank you all for your reply.
            I already have server side log table...
            unfortunately it does not happen always to be tracked and debuged..
            when I get a solution I will post it...

Paul

Comment

Hi,
              I have exactly the same problem. I have an extremely simple '2 panel cards in a carousel panel navigator' app. The back button or default sliding back action takes me back to a blank initial panel card. Rotating the device, allows the panel to correctly redraw.
              Did anybody find a solution to this problem?
              Last edited by jgrannis; 05-06-2016, 11:56 AM.

Comment

I would suggest that you both send in the offending UX for testing if you have not already. From experience if you can produce a working and repeatable issue, Alpha responds very quickly. I have sent in I an issue and had a fix in the next build the very next day with an offer for a hot fix if I wanted it. Good luck.
                NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I'm not sure how I would send in the offending UX for testing as I'm simply evaluating the product with a trial license. I am of course also evaluating the documentation and the size and helpfulness of the products' user groups.

Comment

I just tried PhoneGap by published a few of my mobile apps that work fine in browsers. Got a blank screen on one when hitting a back button and another app only loads as a blank screen. I'm going to send in a bug report when I get a chance.

Comment

I currently use the list control to make the main menu in mobile phonegap.
                      It works fine.
                      I gave up adding just buttons on the make page.
                      when you have a blank screen try rotating the phone to landscape and back to portrait it then display normaly (When I worked on it this was the behavior).

Comment

Working...
                      X