Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Working with multiple tables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working with multiple tables

Hi everyone!

How can i use a next and previous button to insert/update and a record in the database. Each next button will save or update a record in a different tables.

I have different tables and each table has a unique key. How can i use a single Ux Control to design with a panel control for each table?

Thanks,

Jeff

Re: Working with multiple tables

You would create all of your panels and fields and in the "next" button, you would have script to insert/update the record you are working on.

So the next button would:

Save the record.
    Hide the current panel
    move to the next panel.

You wouldn't use the UX's built in submit button for this - you would custom script the next button(s) yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by lgrupido View Post
      You would create all of your panels and fields and in the "next" button, you would have script to insert/update the record you are working on.

So the next button would:

Save the record.
      Hide the current panel
      move to the next panel.

You wouldn't use the UX's built in submit button for this - you would custom script the next button(s) yourself.
      Please lgrupido, can you help me with the sample code? i want to apply it both on the "next" and "previous" buttons.

Thanks

Comment

That is a rather tall order.

In order to do it, you must start with a working panel set, with the next buttons and everything in place.

There are videos on panel controls that will help you do that.

Get the panel cards setup so they are going between your panels first (without saving any data) and shout back for the next step. We'll take it one step at a time ...

Questions to think about:

Do you need the data to save every time you click next or prev or do you want all the data to get saved at the same time when you are "done"?

Does the data you save in one panel affect the outcome of the next panel?

How much error checking do you need to do? Can someone click next before filling in "field a" for instance?

The next question (or maybe this should be the first question) Why do you need to do it all in one UX? If you put each "table" into it's own UX and then use the next buttons to move between pages instead of between panels, you could accomplish this and use all of the built in save functionality of the UX without writing your own code.

Comment

That is a rather tall order.

In order to do it, you must start with a working panel set, with the next buttons and everything in place.

There are videos on panel controls that will help you do that.

Get the panel cards setup so they are going between your panels first (without saving any data) and shout back for the next step. We'll take it one step at a time ...

Questions to think about:

Do you need the data to save every time you click next or prev or do you want all the data to get saved at the same time when you are "done"?

Does the data you save in one panel affect the outcome of the next panel?

How much error checking do you need to do? Can someone click next before filling in "field a" for instance?

The next question (or maybe this should be the first question) Why do you need to do it all in one UX? If you put each "table" into it's own UX and then use the next buttons to move between pages instead of between panels, you could accomplish this and use all of the built in save functionality of the UX without writing your own code.
          Thank you very much, exactly what you said is the process. I have set all the necessary panels and the NEXT and PREv buttons are working. All the questions you taught about applies. That is, I want when a user clicks next or previous button it save or updates and
          moved to the next panel in line. The data save in one panel will not affect the outcome of the next panel, just that I want to use session variable to track users profile on sign up. ON the error part, I will like to apply immediate validation rule on the controls property. Can you help me to accomplice this task?

kindly help out.

warm regards.

Comment

What I would be inclined to do in this instance is create a series of xbasic functions to save the data.

Each function would be responsible for saving the data on a different panel.

Then, you could put a hidden button on each panel. The button would be responsible for running the javascript.

You could use javascript

buttonClick('BUTTONNAME')

to click that button on panel hide.

Or you could even replace the next button with your own button that both runs the xbasic and moves to the next panel.

Do you know how to use xbasic to save data to a table?

If not, lookup the connection string in the help file - that will show you how to open an manipulate a connection to the database in xbasic.

Comment

Please if you can include screen cast to show it up with the xbasic code that will awesome.

Thanks.

Comment

What I would be inclined to do in this instance is create a series of xbasic functions to save the data.

Each function would be responsible for saving the data on a different panel.

Then, you could put a hidden button on each panel. The button would be responsible for running the javascript.

You could use javascript

buttonClick('BUTTONNAME')

to click that button on panel hide.

Or you could even replace the next button with your own button that both runs the xbasic and moves to the next panel.

Do you know how to use xbasic to save data to a table?

If not, lookup the connection string in the help file - that will show you how to open an manipulate a connection to the database in xbasic.
                Please, share the codes with me, if you have screen cast as well, I will appreciate.

THANKS.

Comment

Does your UX use List Binding (Detail View) or UX Binding?
                  Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                  Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                  US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                    Does your UX use List Binding (Detail View) or UX Binding?
                    Am using Grid, but if it can be achieved using List Binding (Detail View) or UX Binding, let me know how to.

Thanks.

Comment

In Earlier messages you say that you have a ux with panel controls already setup and you only need the code to save the data. Now you say you are using a grid?

What do you actually have, and what work have YOU already done?

Grids and UX's are fundamentally different in how they work. You could do what you want with a series of grids, just put one on ech page and use your next and back buttons to move between the pages.

But that is not what you said you were looking for.

Comment

In Earlier messages you say that you have a ux with panel controls already setup and you only need the code to save the data. Now you say you are using a grid?

What do you actually have, and what work have YOU already done?

Grids and UX's are fundamentally different in how they work. You could do what you want with a series of grids, just put one on ech page and use your next and back buttons to move between the pages.

But that is not what you said you were looking for.
                        Yes, i was trying with a grid recently but is not working. So please is ux component that can achieve it. is like a recruitment app, am using a ux component with a panel navigator, and i set navigator type = list, on the list definition, i list all the panel card with list properties and style as button, each button has target panel to a panel card on the design window. On the panel navigator, i set a panel header where the next, previous and menu button. NOW i want when a use click on the next or previous button, let it insert or update the record in the database, and move and set the next form active for the user to fill, if there is any validation on the controls of each form, it should validate immediate before moving to the next form.

Here is a screen shot of the design on browser; online form.jpg

Here is also the design window on Alpha; design view.jpg

Each of the panel cards are inserting to a different table but linked with a key.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X