Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Mobile GUI help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile GUI help

I've built a few web apps that view just fine on mobile devices. But one now is just problematic and I don't know why. This is a web app - not PhoneGap. And the problems seem pretty consistent with Android and iOS, though I don't have the issues on my iPad. This is a one-page site using a panel navigator. It

Generally, when the site is first accessed in portrait mode, all is fine. But turn the phone sideways and you're done. Even if you then turn the phone back to portrait, problems include:

Screen gets cut-off/shortened.
    Can't scroll down on the shortened screen.
    Buttons can't be clicked.
    Fonts often get way too small.

This is not built with the responsive layout settings.

Project style is iOS. iOS is also specified in the UX properties, and I am sure the CSS folder is present (plus, everything is just fine until your turn the phone sideways).

I have the basic default meta tags on the page:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=no" />
    and
    <meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes" />

So, I'm not sure what else to manage here. Any thoughts?

-Steve
    sigpic

Re: Mobile GUI help

Hi Steve,

I have been encountering exactly the same problem. Have you had any luck resolving this?

Comment

In my case, I had specified some CSS on the A5W page that interfered with the CSS from the UX. Solution wasn't just the editing of that A5W CSS, but it's complete removal.
      -Steve
      sigpic

Comment

One thing, somewhat related - and perhaps you can help me resolve this. Alpha seems to love to call ALL of the css style sheets properties and yet if I look at google chromes dev tools I see that often 98% of the style is unused.
        It would be a huge improvement if we just loaded what was necessary.
        Any thoughts?
        NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

adjective COMPUTING
          denoting or relating to software or hardware that has been superseded but is difficult to replace because of its wide use.
          Always was and always will be an issue in an evolving product. You use some css - I use some other and someone else 10 years ago uses some other css stuff - all in the same product.

Just have to live with it until a from scratch build occurs. or..

What I have done to move forward is..

It was difficult to make the jump - it took me a year to become really confident in UX use and PhoneGap - now I never looked back - haven't used an a5w page for 6 months and haven't used a grid for 18 months, and never used a tabbed UI in an app. My advice is future is UX and PhoneGap. - for what it's worth.

Peter
          Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
          Albert Einstein, (attributed)
          US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

css files:
            the supplied css files will contain style definition for all the html markup whether one uses that or not, and in my humble opinion size of the css file will not affect the performance of the product. this should be true even if you use ux/dialog component as primary means of interaction with the user. you may use some of the markup and another will use a different html markup. so the css will cover all the basis. if alpha has provided means of just generating raw html files without any css then you can edit those files and supply your own css files or supply external acquired css files/javascript. that is not the case here. so you will have live with that. alpha five provides means of producing custom software for the developers to market, they will cover all the basis for all the developers. one should expect that. on the other hand if you do not like the way it is handled and want even more control you may invest time to look into front end frameworks as jQuery/angularjs/ionic based on angular etc. to name a few, then use the alpha as data provider, much the same way people use php/asp as data providers.
            thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
            mysql backend
            http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
            [email protected]
            1 914 924 5171

Comment

after i posted the reply and went down to the gym, thought of something that you can try.
              try this in the second computer that you are allowed to install alpha.
              make local copy of the css file to assign the css for your project.
              and copy that file separately - you will need it to copy and paste to the local copy.
              now edit the css file with your editor.
              delete all the content and add the css classes you want using copy paste from the spare copy you made.
              if twerking needed you just keep adding the classes you need from the spare copy.
              this should be done to the style file so it does not affect any other file.
              since you are trying this out in the spare computer it won't affect your real life.
              if you succeed then all good.
              like they say, you can have your pralines and eat it too, i guess.
              thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
              mysql backend
              http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
              [email protected]
              1 914 924 5171

Comment

I won't need any twerking in my app, lol.
                NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Working...
                X