Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

web user security management UX to a SQL server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

web user security management UX to a SQL server

OK, so I am going to ask for some direction from this wonderful group once more. I am struggling to understand what I need to be looking at in order to get a UX component created to deal with user management from within the application itself. I have implemented web security, and it works, and SQL is holding the relevant tables: webSecurityUsers, Members and Groups. From looking at the tables in SQL Studio I can see the 'relationships' exist as members contains the GUIDs of the Users and Groups tables. I have tried opening up the UX component template for SecurityFramework-CreateNewUserAccount_and_AddUserInformationRelatedToTable. It looks like I have to then redo the binding to correctly match what exists on SQL, right?

This is where my ignorance comes in, I am basically trying to learn T-SQL, JavaScript, and Alpha all at the same time coming from no real previous experience in any of them. When looking at the data binding, I cannot select multiple tables to bind to unless I also link them with related fields. I thought I could do that after discovering how the tables are related (even though they don't show relations within SQL) but when trying to do a one-to-many Alpha tells me I need to add repeating sections.

Can anyone give me a few minutes of time and tell me how I should be attacking this? I have done some searching around and browsing videos, but this is one of those times I wish AA had an actual manual and not 942 hours of 5 minute video chunks as reference materials. I suppose it's not as big of a deal for actual developers though, I'm not exactly the target audience for the platform I would presume.

Re: web user security management UX to a SQL server

I don't know if this will be any help, I might lead you down a path that takes a lot more work. What I did was to break things down into separate pieces where I mostly use plain xbasic and AlphaDAO to manipulate the DB instead of any action scripting. The one exception is for editing WebSecurityMembers table.

1. I placed a simple LIST control on a UX. The LIST uses a SQL datasource against the WebSecurityUsers table and one additional companion table that I use to store a little extra information about each user. Trying to update this companion table as well as Alpha's table at the same time is probably why I avoided action scripting.

2. I placed buttons for manipulating the LIST on the bottom of the UX to include functions like the following: 1) Add User, 2) Change User ID, 3) Change User Name, 4) Change User Password, etc. These buttons all open a container window within this same UX. There's a button on each container window for calling an xbasic Ajax Callback function that validates the data and executes the necessary AlphaDAO SQL to affect the change. No databinding to worry about, just plain xbasic.

3. I thought implementing the WebSecurityMembers table would be the most difficult, but using action scripting in a separate UX made things work easily. To access this UX, I placed a "Security Permissions" button on the main UX. The button opens the UX and displays the security permissions for the selected user from the main UX. Action scripting takes care of setting the initial checkboxes of the assigned groups for the user. After submitting any changes, action scripting takes care of deleting and inserting records into the WebSecurityMembers table as needed based on the checkbox control.

The UX is bound to my companion user login table that has the user's firstname, lastname, last sign-on time, etc. which is displayed on the top of the UX.

There is a checkbox control for displaying the user's security group assignments. It has these properties:
    Code:
    Variable Name: SECGRPS
    Choices: variable = UserRoles
    Orientation: Columns  ; flow: TBLR;   Row Count 18;
    Not in list rule: Add
    Table Alias: *unbound
    I do the following in the Server Side OnDialogInitialize Event for the UX:
    Code:
    	'... set alphaDAO connection info for cn, tbl, fltr, rtnFld fields ...
    	e.rtc.UserRoles = sql_get_values(cn,tbl,fltr,rtnFld,.t.)
    	'-- use action script to load user login display values, such as name and ID
    	ExecuteServerSideAction("Populate Dialog from Tables::Sec_Access_Load_UL")
    	'-- use action script to load the checkbox control for security group assignments
    	ExecuteServerSideAction("Load Web Security Values::Load_Web_Security_Values")
    Server side dialogValidate event:
    Code:
    	'... code to validate security group assignments; in my system I have a safety check to ensure some security tags can only be granted by certain users.
    Server side afterDialogValidate event:
    Code:
    	ExecuteServerSideAction("Save Web Security Values::Save_Web_Security_Values")

Comment

That does seem like a valid way to attack it, I guess since I had seen the template containing a template for doing multiple table entries at once I was assuming it wasn't that big of a deal to implement, and I was just ignorant of how to set data bindings properly. Your solution also seems likely above my abilities at present. This leaves me with a question as to how to populate the GUID, to which it seems is the common linkage between the webSecurity tables. I appreciate your help in any case!

*edit*

Ah well I did find this video that looks like it should help me with the GUID. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxVREFQcjLg
      If I can manage to at least alter the individual tables with popup UXes linked to buttons having the GUID created and linked, that *should* accomplish what I'm trying to do. More involved than I originally imagined but at least seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

The last thing I may have to change if it can't be answered here, is how to use the UX to store the password encrypted as happens when making the users from within the AA platform. It's not a huge deal since this app wont exactly be hypersensitive but would be nice to know.
      Last edited by jrodder; 02-16-2016, 12:51 PM.

Comment

You can use
        a5_decrypt_string(Text as C, Key as C [, Algorithm as C [, Initializer as C ]] )
        a5_encrypt_string(Text as C, Key as C [, Algorithm as C [, Initializer as C ]] ).

Do NOT use ENCRYPT_STRING() or DECRYPT_STRING (). There is something weird about the 'key' parameter. The Alpha documentation doesn't explain what characters are allowed or its expected length. It may have a lot to do with which Algorithm is used. I had success using 64 character length string comprised of lower case letters (a - f) and digits. The 'key', of course, must also be set in the Web Security project settings on the "User ID and Password options" tab.

Comment

Use "api_uuidcreate()" to create your GUIDs.

Comment

Originally posted by RichCPT View Post
            Use "api_uuidcreate()" to create your GUIDs.
            I'm playing with that now, but no love as of yet. I need to see how to make debug(1) produce some output. GUID row in table webSecurityUsers is named 'Guid', and I've inserted DataSubmitted.Guid = api_uuidcreate() into CanInsertRecord but nothing being written to the guid field on a record save. (in a grid component). Looks like I am more in the tinkering stage than totally lost stage, which is progress.

Comment

Is this on the Grid part or Grid Detail part?

Make sure the control type for your guid on the update form is either of type "Hidden" or "Textbox".

Try setting the "Field Update Setting" to "All Fields" or maybe you have to add the guid field to a "dirty field" list, if you have the update setting as "Dirty Fields Only".

Turn on "Show Update Command" if you are using Grid Detail for this update.

When using debug(1) in Working Preview (or Live Preview) you can use the watch window to look at any variable. So, I don't know what you are looking for when you said, "I need to see how to make debug(1) produce some output".

Comment

When using debug(1) in Working Preview (or Live Preview) you can use the watch window to look at any variable. So, I don't know what you are looking for when you said, "I need to see how to make debug(1) produce some output".
                Apologies, as I had stated before I am highly ignorant of much of the workings of AA, kind of trying to tread water so I struggle when posting to ensure that I don't waste anyone's time, yet it still happens. :) I understood that to try and see why I was getting no output when I should be into the Guid field, I was looking to do a debug to see what was going on. I did figure that out, threw the debug command somewhere else and could bust out what was being sent to the server, of course it was nothing. Not NULL, but blank.

As far as the rest, I will try what you have recommended and see if that helps. I was inserting DataSubmitted.Guid = api_uuidcreate() into the server side event section. (assuming that I needed to append the .fieldname to the DataSubmitted) The Guid field is set to textbox. I am looking for the Field Update Setting in both Grid and Detail part, but not seeing it. I'll keep nosing around. "Show Update Command" was exactly the type of 'debugging' I was looking for. I was just trying to see if I could turn over any rocks.

Am I even putting the api_uuidcreate() in properly you think?

pg1.pngpg2.pngpg3.png

Comment

I just tested this in a Updateable Grid based on a SQL statement and this all all I had to do:
                  Code:
                  function CanInsertRecord as v (DataSubmitted as P, Args as p, PageVariables as p, Result as p)
                  with PageVariables
                  Result.Cancel = .f.
                  Result.ErrorHTML = ""
                  end with

if DataSubmitted.GUID = ""
                  	DataSubmitted.GUID = api_uuidcreate()
                  end if

end function

Comment

Try starting over with a new updateable Grid.

Comment

Originally posted by RichCPT View Post
                      I just tested this in a Updateable Grid based on a SQL statement and this all all I had to do:
                      Code:
                      function CanInsertRecord as v (DataSubmitted as P, Args as p, PageVariables as p, Result as p)
                      with PageVariables
                      Result.Cancel = .f.
                      Result.ErrorHTML = ""
                      end with

if DataSubmitted.GUID = ""
                      	DataSubmitted.GUID = api_uuidcreate()
                      end if

end function
                      Yep, that worked wonderfully. This is why I get frustrated sometimes. Looking at your IF, it now makes total sense. However, I was going off the video pasted earlier in the thread, and that one appeared to be working without any "If blank then fill with this function output" logic. https://youtu.be/UxVREFQcjLg?t=167

So I am assuming that part should have been good, you know? I appreciate your patience with something that is a simple fix. It can be difficult to figure out what code can run where, which variables are passed where, where to best stuff code, etc. I am slowly learning especially after getting working examples from people like yourself and David K. Thanks!

Comment

Oh, I'm sure that it wasn't the 'if DataSubmitted.GUID = ""' that made it work. It wouldn't surprise me though, if it was the fact that my code occurs after the "end with". I've had nothing but trouble putting code inside that "with" block, so I just ignore it and put all my code after it.

One thing I have to keep reminding myself: when something isn't working right in Alpha, always try another way. When something fails in Working Preview then try running the application against the development server. When a component doesn't work right, start over with a brand new component and built up just the part that doesn't work from the original. There is a "disconnect" between the Alpha component designers and the server, such that properties that have become hidden in the component (based on other property values) can influence what happens when running the component. Hours can be spent trying to figure why a component is doing something that it shouldn't be only to discover there is some property in the designer that has become hidden that has to be unhidden and then changed!

Comment

Working...
                        X