Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How do I display a background image on a panel card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I display a background image on a panel card?

I have a panel card wrapped in a panel navigator, the panel card only having some static text. In the panel card properties, I selected "has background image" and provided a valid image name from the project folders, but no image appears on the background in neither working nor live preview, and as usual, there is NO documentation explaining the use of this feature.

What am I doing wrong now?

Re: How do I display a background image on a panel card?

Is the image in the A5Webroot folder? ...something else, I used the"Panel body style" property and set a background image there and it worked.
    Mike Brown - Contact Me
    Programmatic Technologies, LLC
    Programmatic-Technologies.com
    Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

This is the only way I could get one in See Image
      2016-03-16_1415_background.png

I just noticed in the latest pre-release you can just put a the file name from the project folder and it will work. - the image must be published and of an allowed type - good to see this fixed.
      Last edited by peteconway; 03-15-2016, 11:32 PM.
      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
      Albert Einstein, (attributed)
      US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Thank you so much for taking your time to help!
        I was able to display the background image using your suggestion, but since this is meant to be a "disconnected" app wrapped up in a PhoneGAP project, I was unable to figure out the correct URL to pull up the image file from the mobile device.
        Once I got the background image to display in working and live preview, I added the image file to the "additional Files Required" of the PhoneGap build project settings, and ran the app on the mobile device, but the image didn't appear, obviously because the app was using the URL pointing to the local file system on the server, not on the mobile device.
        Once I learn what URL to use to reference the local image file, this problem will be solved!

Thanks again!

Comment

I did make sure that the image was published into the proper folder, and experimented with the panel body style which finally got the image to display on the working and live previews, but not on the actual mobile device.

Because this is going to be a "disconnected" app, I need to be able to reference the image file from local storage on the mobile, but I don't know how to work out the URL which may be further complicated by the fact that this app is wrapped inside of a PhoneGap project.

I can locate the image in the file system of the device, but I don't yet know how to write the URL for the panel body style settings.

Thanks!

Comment

I think you will fond PhoneGap localizes the images at prep time and packages it - I don't have the issue.
            Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Comment

I am downloading and installing the latest pre-release since, as you mentioned above, they may have fixed a few things that have been vexing some of us.

PhoneGap did localize the image, but it doesn't look like Alpha made the connection when the app was loaded on the mobile.

Regardless, I have been trying these things using build 3463-4629, which is considerably older than the latest; I'll report about any changes after I get the Alpha software updated.

Comment

The latest build is a cracker - some amazing stuff.

Comment

I finally got this figured out. In a PhoneGap project, if the background image is to be expected to appear simply by checking the "Has background image" box and then entering the image file name into the "Image name" field of the Panel Card Properties, the background image must be copied into the ROOT of the project files folder set.

My attempts failed because I stored my images in nested sub-folders, which PhoneGap re-created in its file system, but the Alpha app running under PhoneGap doesn't know about these folders, apparently looking for assets in the project root by default. It would appear that the Panel card body style "Background Image URL" would have to be used to point into a different folder above the root if the assets are to be stored in a location other than the default. I'm pretty sure people were trying to tell me this, but I wasn't catching on very well.

After placing the background image into the project root folder, and then adding the file name to "additional Files Required" list of the PhoneGap build project settings and rebuilding the project, the image appeared on the mobile device, while the working and live previews exhibited the following behavior:

* The live preview now displays the image as expected, and no body style entries needed to be made other than "border-style: none", which I added simply because it was in the example I finally found...

* The working preview does not display the background image unless the file path is provided in the "Panel body style" configuration list...

I do still intend to work out the use of the file URL's within PhoneGap for other purposes...

Thanks for your help!!!

Comment

Yep all my stuff is in the root - not nested - anyhow onward .. good job.

Comment

Another Note:

Continuing weirdness in my install caught the attention of Dion McCormick who helped me discover that there was an issue with the installation of the pre-release, which may have been causing unpredictable problems for the functions I was trying to duplicate through the tutorials. This obviously was not the cause of my app's failure to display a background image as posted here, but I was having some other weird problems with other functions, like one button on a UX control would do exactly what it was configured to do, but the next button would not, etc.

Big thanks to mikeallenbrown, peteconway, and Dion McCormick for helping me with this!

Comment

Working...
                      X