Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Pre-release features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-release features

Does anyone know where pre-release features are listed? I should know this, but I watch Selwins newest videos and even some which are many months old but the features and concepts he demonstrates are often not available. I'm not comfortable nor do I really have time to work with the pre-release versions. It would be enormously helpful if either the video stated pre-release or had text at the opening to that end.

Thanks - John H

Re: Pre-release features

http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/A...easenotes.html
    Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Not sure where you're watching the videos, but if you use the pre-release page as your source, then you'll know these videos belong to a pre-release. There's also a link on the release notes page (available from Help in Alpha) to the pre-release page.

Comment

I think term pre release or official version does not mean anymore anything. You can check form Alphas pricing page that they have been selling now few months beta features and pre release features. So who cares if Alpha does not.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
          Not sure where you're watching the videos, but if you use the pre-release page as your source, then you'll know these videos belong to a pre-release. There's also a link on the release notes page (available from Help in Alpha) to the pre-release page.
          Thank you all for the replies. I often watch you tube channel. There is no indication of the status from there. I'd be curious are many folks using the "pre-release" features in production environments. I did see where Alpha is up charging for features not in the official release. That seems q questionable practice since they state that we should not use these features in production. Hmm.

Comment

I use the pre-release in production everyday. I do not use the disconnected stuff, the IIS stuff or the newer form controls though. I just havn't learned them, but one thing I DO know is that every time I found a bug or something that was not working as expected they jumped on it immediately which gives me the courage to run these pre-releases. Now, many people work and design for profit and their policies do not allow anything but official releases for stability.
            I think it is awesome that they let us use these features as they are developing them, it gives us the chance to test them - learn them and ultimately make the product better long term.
            Other software I use come out with their next "version" once a year and then want FULL PRICE again the next year. The cost is around 100 bucks so it isn't a big hit to the wallet and I don't complain because there is always a ton of new features keeping them relevant in the ever changing world.
            So, in the end I am comfortable with paying for use of the pre-release stuff with a monthly tithe.

It's a great product!
            NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

The problem is that if you buy a separate extra server you get now 8 month (2015.07) old version and not be able to update it. Same thing is with separate developers (for web or for desktop)

What comes to bugs beta testing is always nice thing especially if customers do it for you.

Comment

The pre-releases have always been a bit of a conundrum for me. I have a fairly well developed application, but I watch the pre-release updates intently as they always seem to include cool new things that I can think of ways and uses to improve my app. The problem comes when I hit the rare bug that needs reporting. I know before I even submit the bug what the response will be ... "you are not using the latest pre-release. please test with the latest pre-release before reporting the bug". Yet, on the other hand I'm running in a production environment and the explicit stipulation it not to use pre-releases in a production environment. I know all the arguments, I've heard them all and I'm not preaching to the choir, but it is all rather ridiculous.
                Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesParker View Post
                  I use the pre-release in production everyday....

...I think it is awesome that they let us use these features as they are developing them, it gives us the chance to test them - learn them and ultimately make the product better long term....

I think you use pre release version because there is no up-to-date stable version available. If you install pre release version to your customers server then what if something serious happen?

I do not think that there is many software companies that makes customers in practice beta testers and bug hunters and make them pay subscription price of that. All my respect to that company:). Yeah, awesome move.

Comment

I do not think that there is many software companies that makes customers in practice beta testers and bug hunters and make them pay subscription price of that. All my respect to that company:). Yeah, awesome move.
                    There are always going to be issues with software... that's it's nature. The day after Apple releases a version of iOS, there's a patch waiting for us. As with Alpha, this happens quickly because the company, the people, care to fix stuff. You simply can't test everything in every scenario with every browser with every device and every service. Many years ago, working with Access, we discovered a bug in their run-time, which actually corrupted tables... it was awful. It was months after our own testing and rollout and it was not easy to reproduce. Microsoft refused to fix it for over 6 months regardless of test cases and scenarios we supplied. We had to roll back all our clients. What a mess. We immediately dropped Access and we've never gone back.

We find Alpha to be extremely responsive and they produce some very cool stuff.

There are lots of environments out there... so why not investigate something else? Find something that is cheap and bug free.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
                      There are always going to be issues with software... that's it's nature. The day after Apple releases a version of iOS, there's a patch waiting for us. As with Alpha, this happens quickly because the company, the people, care to fix stuff. You simply can't test everything in every scenario with every browser with every device and every service. Many years ago, working with Access, we discovered a bug in their run-time, which actually corrupted tables... it was awful. It was months after our own testing and rollout and it was not easy to reproduce. Microsoft refused to fix it for over 6 months regardless of test cases and scenarios we supplied. We had to roll back all our clients. What a mess. We immediately dropped Access and we've never gone back.

We find Alpha to be extremely responsive and they produce some very cool stuff.

There are lots of environments out there... so why not investigate something else? Find something that is cheap and bug free.
                      Davidk, Alpha is extremely responsive and they listen customers. Fortunately some customers says their opinion. I remember many times when ALpha has changed policy after feedback from customers.

If you thing current time frame to publish stable versions is ok then what to say. Hard to understand but at least you have opinion.
                      I do not have problem when you say your opinion. Now we know what you think.

Comment

I think you use pre release version because there is no up-to-date stable version available. If you install pre release version to your customers server then what if something serious happen?
                        ah, see that's where there is NOT an issue. First of all, I am my customer and I install updates to MY server, secondly and more importantly - all I have to do is install the last pre-release that worked. It's just that simple.

In fact this just happened yesterday. The March 18 pre-release Build 3481-4635 18-Mar-2016 severely affected my instances of Jim Colts calendar, as well as screwed up the way one of my main "lists" works where I display the technician agenda. I have a good bit of editing going on with his calendar, and I didn't care to look into why it affected it, so I simply re-installed the last pre-release that worked for me as expected.

I am not under any obligation to tell alpha devs that the release works as expected or otherwise. Sometimes I do, sometimes I just wait a few days for the next one. Often, these things get worked out if they are actually a bug. I appreciate the opportunity to test and YES even so much so to pay a subscription for it - especially when I know that as a subscriber those guys really work to address an issue - even when it is actually an error on my part!

Selwyn has for instance been VERY gracious to correct my code a couple of times and in that way teaching me not unlike many of you on here.

Now on to the bashing of Alpha - I am STILL very disappointed in the style builder and it seems to me that it should have been addressed BEFORE the form view controls - even though they are at this point in my opinion overly complicated to setup and use ----- they are pretty nifty. The style builder is essentially broken, when you get a warning that says YOU CANNOT EDIT a style. To take it a step further - I should be able to buy a style through let's say the alpha bootstrap product and then further EDIT it right in the style builder...and it would be even cooler if I were able to SELL my styles to others wherein they could install them and edit too if they wanted. I dont think it's that far off from happening - so I am holding some hope for that soon.

THAT ASIDE, overall I am super happy with what I have been able to accomplish with alpha and I have enjoyed the ride.

Cheers~~
                        NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesParker View Post
                          Now on to the bashing of Alpha - I am STILL very disappointed in the style builder and it seems to me that it should have been addressed BEFORE the form view controls - even though they are at this point in my opinion overly complicated to setup and use ----- they are pretty nifty. The style builder is essentially broken, when you get a warning that says YOU CANNOT EDIT a style. To take it a step further - I should be able to buy a style through let's say the alpha bootstrap product and then further EDIT it right in the style builder...and it would be even cooler if I were able to SELL my styles to others wherein they could install them and edit too if they wanted. I dont think it's that far off from happening - so I am holding some hope for that soon.
                          Are you talking about the new style builder or the old one?

Comment

currently I beleive. The last time I tried to use it was about a month ago, I got an error basically telling me that I couldn't edit the style. Posted about it, and I probably should have sent in a complaint but I did not. They already know people are not happy with it.

On the flip side, I am as I said really pleased with the additions to the product since the last official release. Stripe for one, made my day! Next key addition was web sockets, and the incredible amount of work done with list controls.

What I would suggest to ANYONE using the pre-releases.
                            ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS
                            save a copy of the downloads so you can easily go back to a previous pre-release. And of course regularly backup. It's a good practice to begin with!

I like to put them in a folder named 2016 and so on, in other words by date. As Ken suggested, if theres an issue what will you do?

Comment

Working...
                            X