Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to debug errors in code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to debug errors in code

Hello,
    I am new with alpha five development environment.I am learning alpha five for less than two weeks.I can configure the components in alpha five but now facing some problems in the code.When I publish the page in localhost, It displays the error like:

Script Error
    Error:Script:framebodyL2.a5w line:25
    if convert_type(session.stWPID,"n")=0 then
    Property not found
    session.stWPID subelement not found.

Can anyone tell me that how can I deal with errors in code? I am not familiar with debugging techniques in alpha five and please can you help me to resolve this error.
    thank you.

Re: How to debug errors in code

the error is that sesssion.stwpid doesn't exist. So it cannot be used at this moment.

Comment

Thanks Pieter. Can you tell me,where do I find these all codes so that I can edit or correct them?

Comment

Seems to be a problem in your framebodyL2.a5w page or perhaps the component that in embedded in that page. Where are you defining that session variable?
        Mike Brown - Contact Me
        Programmatic Technologies, LLC
        Programmatic-Technologies.com
        Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

Error:Script:framebodyL2.a5w line:25 - Indicates the page the error occurred on and the line # (usually this line # is correct or it is the one above it causing errors)
          if convert_type(session.stWPID,"n")=0 then
          Property not found
          session.stWPID subelement not found.
          - This is you error message - ALWAYS READ THIS!!! It will generally point you exactly to what is wrong

Debugging Techniques for an a5w page:
          at the top of the page try the following

Code:
          ?session.stWPID
          end
          the end line ends the script so that you can run the page ain the browser and see some output
          This will try to output session.stWPID - if it does not exist you will get the same error.

To code around this error - check if the variable exists before using it:
          Code:
          if variable_exists("session.stWPID") then
              'do something
          else
              response.redirect("generic-error-page.a5w")
              end
          end if

Other debugging techniques:
          on pages: outputting is your best friend use ?"hi im output" and end to stop the script at strategic points and output particular variables / results etc
          on grids / xbasic code / modules: add the line debug(1) and run the code through interactive (for code) or working preview (for grids/ux) - this will allow you to use a traditional debugger with step through / watch window

good luck!
          Last edited by aburningflame; 04-15-2016, 11:18 AM.
          Scott Moniz - Computer Programmer/Analyst
          REA Inc.
          http://reainc.net
          (416)-533-3777
          [email protected]

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
          If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,
          contact us to discuss options.

Comment

You can also place a debug(1) in the Alpha-generated A5w pages on your local computer and then do a preview. Depending on which preview you use, alpha will overwrite that A5w page so if it doesn't work, you are using the wrong one (I just can't remember which right now as it's been a while since I've used it). Also, no worries, since Alpha overwrites it, you don't need to worry about messing up the file by putting the debug(1) in it.

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

I generally lean towards debugging most of my pages in the browser as I find sometimes the previews can sometimes not 100% replicate the browser environments but Preview can be great for quick tests / debugging!
              REA Inc.
              (416)-533-3777
              [email protected]

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
              If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,

Comment

Hi Scott,
                Thanks for your reply.I have to customize the existing application in alpha five that contains lots of errors.I am not familiar with defining the session variables in alpha five environment. Can you suggest me where can I get more knowledge about defining sessions in alpha five. I think there is very little support for alpha developers over the internet and alpha forum is one that is helping me to go ahead.
                thank you.

Comment

Hi Rajen,
                  Personally I have found the built in help files to be of most use even though they can be difficult to search at times. In Alpha go to Help > Open documentation. You can search for session and there will be some resources "Understanding and Using Session Variables", "Sessions" etc.

The documentation can be thin but its a good place to start! Good luck
                  REA Inc.
                  (416)-533-3777
                  [email protected]

Comment

Hi Jinx,
                    thanks for your reply.Now its working.

Comment

Hello There,

There is another way to debug if need be and I do that all the time:
                      Create a folder say in drive C or for any drive of your choice: C:\Alpha Debug

Then you may enter the below line any where to track down what's the status of your session variable.
                      The below will simply append into the ErrorLog.txt file. The Now() function will give you the date and time.

Code:
                      File.Append_Line("C:\Alpha Debug\ErrorLog.txt", "Type OF --> the session.stWPID is: " + TYPEOF(session.stWPID) + " " + Now())
                      Try that next time or for any other purposes to see different values.

Regards,

Doron
                      The Farber Consulting Group, Inc.

Main Web Site: http://www.dFarber.com
                      Avis Car Rental Software
                      Custom Software Development

Comment

Working...
                      X