Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Email to address obtained from table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email to address obtained from table

I utilize MySQL in a multi-user/company configuration. When a user logs in, a variable is created with the company ID number. When a record is saved, that variable is used for the CompID that exists in every table. Users can only see records for their own company.
    What I want to be able to do is allow a user to email the person who is listed as being the manager for the company they belong to.
    For example: I am an employee of Jackson Transportation and when I click a button in a UX I want an email sent to Jeff Smith, who is my manager and his email address is [email protected]. All this is obtained by looking at my company name variable, which in this case is "1201".

alphamail.jpg
    J.R.
    Epigate Software, LLC.

[email protected]
    http://www.epigate.com
    sigpic

Re: Email to address obtained from table

There's many ways to send emails using Alpha. How far along are you and whats the issue?

Comment

JR you can create a field called "email to" and use that as the variable or field from which your email gets the info. Then setup that as a dropdown from your choice. Vague but help it helps you work through the logic. I can probably post my code later on tonight. What method are you using to send?
      NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Jim, it is not exactly an issue with how do I email. It is more of how do I get the email address from a secondary table.

Charles. The problem is getting the email address from a table other than the one utilized in the UX.
        When the user clicks the "Email Manager" button in the UX, I want it to look up the manager name and email address in another table based on the company id of the user who is logged in (which is the user who clicked the "Email Manager" button).
        J.R.
        Epigate Software, LLC.

[email protected]
        sigpic

Comment

you need to write your own ajax callback to get the email address via an xbasic function. as long as company id is available you should be able to do. and then run the code to send an email via xbasic not built in function on the ux.
          thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
          mysql backend
          http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
          [email protected]
          1 914 924 5171

Comment

if you think this will be a major requirement then you can set another variable that will hold the supervisor name and another one for the email and dispose them off when people log out.
            in that way no ajax callback needed to get the email address or the name.
            thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
            mysql backend
            [email protected]
            1 914 924 5171

Comment

I thought about doing that Govindan, but I am already loading variables, such as user id, company id, along with a few others, but I was hoping to keep the number of variables to a minimum. I am assuming holding variables, especially multiple variables, will create an extra load on the system. I would rather use some type of lookup to get that value when/if needed, because I would like to eventually expand on this and allow users to email a fleet manager, supply manager, quality control manager, etc, without loading a bunch of variable which may or may not get used.
              J.R.
              Epigate Software, LLC.

[email protected]
              sigpic

Comment

then it will be necessary to make an ajax callback to get the email address, that should be possible as long as you have the id of the company, correct?
                thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                mysql backend
                [email protected]
                1 914 924 5171

Comment

Yes, the company id is set as a variable when the user logs in.
                  Back to the question at hand though...how to create the callback to make it work.
                  J.R.
                  Epigate Software, LLC.

[email protected]
                  sigpic

Comment

write an ajax callback that will call an xbasic routine say xb
                    there you define
                    connection string and connect to the table where the data is
                    execute a sql to select the name and email address where companyId variable equals the company id
                    then set the name to rs.data("name") email to rs.data("email")
                    then
                    construct the email using
                    pm and ps pointer variables and send via
                    email_send2(pm, ps)
                    thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                    mysql backend
                    [email protected]
                    1 914 924 5171

Comment

Not sure if your following the other thread I have been pretty involved in the last few hours but it is essentially the same - getting a variable from another table via an xbasic function in an ajax callback - very similar indeed...
                      NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

look at this one:
                        http://www.alphasoftware.com/alphafo...ign-a-variable

Comment

Here's what I do and essentially this WAS the mandrill method that I adapted to steve woods sparkpost method (not alphas, so you can ignore the comments a little) but regardless of the method the idea is the same where I have a variable set from the "email" field (currentRowDataNew.email) which could be a drop down that is a lookup to customers, but could also be employees, managers, etc. and of course the lookup is filtered by the company_id as mine is a multi-tenant application as well.

Although. it's in two seperate functions it could be all done more efficiently within one and I am certain my code is not "robust" or perfect by any stretch of the imagination but it does work...I hope you will take the idea of what I am doing with the realization that like you I am very new to this and even after a couple of years working with Alpha I am still a noob - no fault of theirs, I realize my own short comings. If it was not for the great timely advice on here I wouldn't be anywhere at all with this!
                          I guess someone could make the point that me posting mediocre code only serves to promote more of the same, but on the other hand I just hope it helps.
                          Remember also, that you probably do NOT need session variables, they could be arguments or just regular variables - state or otherwise. It would really just depend on what your after and for how long and where you need the variables to persist - I know that much, lol - execution is another matter...

Code:
                          function setmailto as c (e as p)
                          	session.mailedto = e._currentRowDataNew.EMAIL
                          	session.sentto = session.mailedto + " " + Date()
                          	'session.mailfrom = e._currentRowDataNew.REPLYEMAIL
                          	session.mymsg = e._currentRowDataNew.CUSTOM_MESSAGE
                          	session.sentto = session.mailedto + " " + Now()	

end function

function ReportForEmail as c (e as p)    
                          'debug(1)
                          dim key as c 
                          key = e.fileSessionKey
                          dim b as b 
                          'get the binary day for the report
                          session.GetDataFromFile(b,key)
                          dim size as n 
                          size = b.size()
                          if size = 0 then 
                              ReportForEmail = "alert('Report was not sent.');"
                              exit function
                          end if 

'dim mysecretkey as c = ""   'if you leave this blank the key value is read from a setting in Project Properties
                          dim ms as p
                          dim date as d
                          ms.send_to = session.mailedto
                              if session.mailedto = "" then
                                  ReportForEmail = "alert('Email Address is missing or invalid!');"
                                  exit function
                              end if
                          ms.from_email = "[email protected]"
                          ms.subject = "Wildlife Control Invoice/Estimate"
                          ms.message_html = "Please find the attached invoice and or estimate." + "<br>" + session.mymsg + crlf()+\ 
                          "<br>""<br>""<br>""<center><b>Confidentiality Notice:</b> This e-mail message, including any attachments,is for the sole use of the intended recipients." + crlf()+\
                          "It may contain confidential and privileged information or may be otherwise protected by law." + crlf()+\
                          "Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited." + crlf()+\
                          "If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message." + crlf()+\
                          "If you received this email by mistake, send complaints/concerns to [email protected]</a>This email is generated using NWCOPRO software.</center>" 

dim ms.attachmentsArray[1] as p
                          ms.attachmentsArray[1].name = "Wildlife Control.pdf"   'if the report was an html report, use the .html extension
                          ms.attachmentsArray[1].type = resolve_mime_type("pdf") 'if the report was an html report, use the 'html'
                          ms.attachmentsArray[1].content = base64encode(b)

dim pResult as p
                          pResult = wt_email_send_sparkpost("",ms)
                          ?"RETURNED: " + pResult.body + "<hr>"
                          ?"POSTED  : " + pResult.json + "<hr>"
                          ?"HASERROR: " + convert_type(pResult.error,"C")
                          ?"APIERROR: " + convert_type(pResult.error,"C") + "<hr>" '==True IF SPARKPOST RETURNED AN ERROR OF ANY KIND
                          if pResult.error = .f. then
                          	ReportForEmail = "alert('Your Invoice/Estimate was sent.');"
                          	save_to_file(pResult.body + crlf(2) + pResult.json,"H:\a5\bodysent.txt") 
                          else
                          	ReportForEmail = "alert('Your Invoice/Estimate was not sent because your a turd.');"
                          	save_to_file(pResult.body + crlf(2) + pResult.json,"H:\a5\bodynotsent.txt")
                          end if
                          end function

And no, my code does not call anyone a turd for real, lol.

Cheers~

Comment

Originally posted by J.R. Noe View Post
                            I utilize MySQL in a multi-user/company configuration. When a user logs in, a variable is created with the company ID number. When a record is saved, that variable is used for the CompID that exists in every table. Users can only see records for their own company.
                            What I want to be able to do is allow a user to email the person who is listed as being the manager for the company they belong to.
                            For example: I am an employee of Jackson Transportation and when I click a button in a UX I want an email sent to Jeff Smith, who is my manager and his email address is [email protected]. All this is obtained by looking at my company name variable, which in this case is "1201".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42081[/ATTACH]
                            The easiest is possibly just creating an unbound field (or a bound field if you'd like to save it to whatever table your UX is based on) that is populated with the email address by using a "lookup and fill in fields" action javascript based on the logged in users company id. You could use an on change event or some other event to trigger the action and populate the field. Then you have the email address in your UX to use.

Otherwise, Gandi's idea will work fine as well. I use both, for different reasons, throughout my application. Here's an Xbasic version:

Code:
                            function SendEmailToApprover as c (e as p)
                            debug(1)
                            dim reportName as C = e.reportFilename
                            dim vjscmd as c

dim key as c
                            key = e.fileSessionKey
                            dim b as b
                            session.getDataFromFile(b,key)

file.From_blob(reportName,b)

if (e.dataSubmitted.complete = "True") then '.AND. (e.datasubmitted.complete <> e.oldDataSubmitted.complete) then
                            	dim trnum as c = e.dataSubmitted.unique_id
                            	dim tooln	as c = e.dataSubmitted.toolno
                            	dim approver as c = e.dataSubmitted.written
                            	if approver <> "" then
                            		dim firstname as c = word(approver,1," ")
                            		dim lastname as c = word(approver,-1," ")
                            		dim cn as SQL::Connection
                            		dim args as SQL::Arguments
                            		dim SQLCommand as c
                            		args.Add("approver",approver)
                            		SQLCommand = "SELECT emailaddress FROM security.allowedusers WHERE fullname = :approver"
                            			if cn.Open("::Name::MVWKS") then
                            				if cn.Execute(SQLCommand,args) then
                            					dim rs as SQL::ResultSet = cn.ResultSet
                            					dim recipient as c = rs.Data("emailaddress")	
                            					dim subj as C = "M.E. Request Number "+trnum+" Is Complete"
                            					dim body as C = "Hello "+firstname+","+crlf()+crlf()+"A M.E. Request (Number: "+ trnum +" ) that was approved by you has been checked as completed."+crlf()+crlf()+"Please check with the Manufacturing Engineering department if you have any questions."
                            					dim ishtml as L = .F.
                            					dim CC as C = "[email protected]"
                            					dim CC2 as C = "[email protected]"
                            					dim sender as C = "[email protected]"
                            					dim EmailPassword as C = "mvworks"
                            					dim msg as System::Net::Mail::MailMessage = new System::Net::Mail::MailMessage()
                            					msg.To.Add(recipient)
                            						msg.From = new System::Net::Mail::MailAddress(sender)
                            						msg.Subject = subj
                            						msg.Body = body
                            						msg.BodyEncoding = System::Text::Encoding::UTF8
                            						msg.Priority = System::Net::Mail::MailPriority::Normal
                            					dim addrCC as System::Net::Mail::MailAddress = new System::Net::Mail::MailAddress(CC)
                            					dim addrCC2 as System::Net::Mail::MailAddress = new System::Net::Mail::MailAddress(CC2)
                            					msg.CC.Add(addrCC)
                            					msg.CC.Add(addrCC2)
                            					msg.Attachments.Add(new System::Net::Mail::Attachment(reportName))
                            					dim MailClient as System::Net::Mail::SmtpClient = new System::Net::Mail::SmtpClient("bung.hole.com",25)
                            					MailClient.EnableSsl = .F.
                            					MailClient.UseDefaultCredentials = .T.
                            					debug(1)
                            					MailClient.Send(msg)
                            					vjscmd = "setTimeout(function(){{dialog.Object}.submit()},3000);{dialog.object}.hideWaitMessage();alert('An email to the approver of this tool request has been sent telling them that it has been completed.');"
                            					msg.Dispose()
                            				end if
                            			args.Clear()
                            			cn.Close()
                            			end if
                            	else
                            	vjscmd = "setTimeout(function(){{dialog.Object}.submit()},3000);{dialog.object}.hideWaitMessage();alert('Tool Request has not been approved so an email can not be sent to the approver');"
                            	end if
                            else
                            vjscmd = "setTimeout(function(){{dialog.Object}.submit()},3000);{dialog.object}.hideWaitMessage();"
                            end if
                            file.remove(reportName)
                            SendEmailToApprover = vjscmd
                            end function
                            That was written a while ago so please excuse any optimization violations.

The code above also attaches a file since I'm using the "Open a Report, Letter or Layout" action to call it.

Comment

Working...
                            X