Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Content truncated when sending email from grid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Content truncated when sending email from grid

Hi
    I have a grid with a number of fields which I use to compose an email using a button in the grid.
    One of the fields occassionally has a lot of text/html which then gets truncated for some unknown reason.
    The text is showing ok in the Mysql database, but even when displayed in a text area field, it still is truncated. This is the case when trying to email the content.

This particular field is made by group_concat in mysql which needed increased as the default length was 1024k. It seems to be something in alpha.

The content of the email is composed using an xbasic function so even if the content displayed in the grid in the textarea field, it still truncates in the email.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Content truncated when sending email from grid

How are you sending the email? Are you using Action Javascript? An xbasic method?
    Sarah Mitchell
    Director of Customer Success | [URL="https://www.alphasoftware.com"]Alpha Software Corporation[/URL]
    [B]Get in the know! [/B] Join us for our Weekly Webinars: [URL="https://www.alphasoftware.com/weekly-transform-tuesday-webinar"]TransForm Tuesday[/URL] and [URL="https://www.alphasoftware.com/weekly-alpha-anywhere-overview-webinar"]Wednesday's Alpha Anywhere Demo and Q&A[/URL]
    Connect with us: [URL="https://www.instagram.com/alpha_software_corp/"]Instagram[/URL] | [URL="https://twitter.com/AlphaSoftware"]Twitter[/URL] | [URL="https://www.facebook.com/AlphaSoftware/"]Facebook[/URL] | [URL="https://www.linkedin.com/company/alpha-software"]LinkedIn[/URL] | [URL="https://www.youtube.com/user/AlphaSoftwareInc"]YouTube[/URL]

Comment

This particular field is made by group_concat in mysql which needed increased as the default length was 1024k. It seems to be something in alpha.
      would you please explain this, you have opted to increase the length of field(s), instead of using longer field like text, you have concatenated.
      when you use text field in mysql as far as i know alpha does not truncate that field.
      additionally, i repeat the same question sarah has raised.
      how are you sending the email?
      if you send email using xbasic, you can easily add those fields to the message. good to take a look at the documentation or any messages on the board relating to sending email.
      thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
      mysql backend
      http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
      [email protected]
      1 914 924 5171

Comment

I have a job table and a job_details table (one-to-many relationship)

The job details table contains the names of all employees on that job.

I have created a mysql view which group_concatenates all the employee names by job_id.

The purpose is to send the client a list of employee names for each job.

I have a grid which is a list of jobs which has a button for emailing (I use the standard javascript function). I also have an xbasic function that returns the group_concat field which then is included in the email content using {ExecuteFunction:email_report} where email_report is the name of the xbasic funtion.

This has been working really well and the only issue is when the job is quite large (eg lots of employee names, etc) this data gets truncated in the email.

In the mysql view, the data is all there as expected.

Also - with reference to not using a text field, this would require updating this field each time the job_details table is updated. Using group_concat function is much more convenient as it is simply bringing together information which is already there.

Another reason why I think is is an Alpha issue is that if I display the view in a grid, and have the group_concat field displayed in a textarea control, it also truncates in the same way as the email.

Thanks

Comment

I have a job table and a job_details table (one-to-many relationship)

The job details table contains the names of all employees on that job.

I have created a mysql view which group_concatenates all the employee names by job_id.

The purpose is to send the client a list of employee names for each job.
          okay i understand now.
          what you want to do is to put all the employees involved in the job to a single field and then refer to that field in the email as single entity.
          would it be difficult for you to create a report using the data available in the header and the detail tables then attach the report as pdf to the person?

(it may be possible to pull the names ( or ids ) of the employees from the detail section and add that to email, haven't followed that route. but with alpha i am sure there is a way to do that way too.)
          thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
          mysql backend
          [email protected]
          1 914 924 5171

Comment

here is something to think about..
            since the job table and the job_detail tables are linked, you can call the mysql data matching the job_table_id in the job_detail_table foreign key and the resultset will contain all the records that matches the job table id.
            then it is a matter of joining the values of the employee names in human readable style and add that to the email.
            this will be done in the xbasic code.
            thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
            mysql backend
            [email protected]
            1 914 924 5171

Comment

It seems that the problem was in the way I had configured the group_concat_max_len variable in mysql.

I had used something like set sesson ... instead of:

SET @@group_concat_max_len=15000;

The length of the concat field is now increased to 15k which is more than sufficient for what we need.

I'm not sure what the exact syntax should be for changing the variable, but perhaps initially using session keyword was the reason why in the mysql viewer the text was all there, but when accessed via alpha it was still truncated.

Its working well now. Something simple after all!!

Thanks

Comment

Using the session keyword would make the setting change for only that connection (e.g. the mysql viewer). Which is why you were seeing the truncation in Alpha.
                Not using the session keyword makes the change to the entire server which is why it then worked.

I feel like you may lose the setting if your mysql service restarts and I would recommend setting this value in your actual mysql.ini file so that upon reboots it does not change.
                You can find the particular ini you are using by right clicking the MySQL Service (in services) and clicking Properties and then looking at the --defaults-file switch in the Path to Executable section.

You can add the group_concat_max_len=15000 to the [mysqld] section, stop the MySQL service, start the MySQL Service and you can run the following sql to verify
                SHOW VARIABLES LIKE '%group_concat%'

SHOW VARIABLES is really useful to review settings / determine if changes worked etc.
                Scott Moniz - Computer Programmer/Analyst
                REA Inc.
                http://reainc.net
                (416)-533-3777
                [email protected]

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
                If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,
                contact us to discuss options.

Comment

Working...
                X