Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Upgrade to Build 3670.4684 causes list title and column spacing issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade to Build 3670.4684 causes list title and column spacing issues

Good afternoon.

I just installed the Alpha Anywhere 3670.4684 (June 13 2016) patch (updated from 2999.4519 July 28, 2015) on both my development machine and my development server.

I have a single UX component with several active panel cards that uses list controls and JavaScript for all of the functionality. The application has been functioning perfectly for several months using the 2999.4519 build from July of 2015.

Since the update to 3670.4684, all of my list controls are experiencing some strange spacing either in the headings or in the columns. My component uses a local copy of the IOS7 CSS files which I have replaced with the new files from the 3670.4684 update. I have recalculated all of the controls in the component and published it to Live Preview etc.

Heading Issues
    The headings example involves a list that I have on a debugging/maintenance panel showing employee information used by the application. The list is 1125px wide. Inspection with the Chrome debugger in working preview shows that the list has been "published" to the working preview server with a container width for the column titles of 2649px, more than double the actual width of the list. This causes the entire row of titles to be skewed to the right, starting at approximately the center of the visible list. In the first screen shot, you can see how the offending element extends well beyond the right edge of the panel card

List Titles Skewed 01.gifList Titles Skewed 02.gif

The same behavior occurs when I use live preview and when I publish the component to my development server and open it with the Chrome browser. A "preview" of the list using the List Control Builder shows the titles centered over the columns as they should be. Since this behavior seems to be computed on the way to the server, there is nothing I can find to turn on or off or modify.

Column Spacing Issues
    In the column spacing example below, the titles are manually set using HTML code in the "Fixed header HTML" property. The sub-total lines are manually calculated in the "Group breaks definition" property. Both of these are spaced as they should be and as they were under the 2999.4519 build.

However, the actual positions of the data in the detail rows are all skewed to the right by several px.

Column Positions Skewed 01.gif

No amount of tweaking of the iOS7 List CSS definitions will move the columns back into line with the titles as they were before.

As the component is not that complex, I was expecting a straight forward transition from one V12 build to the most recent one.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Peter

Re: Upgrade to Build 3670.4684 causes list title and column spacing issues

Bump

Having this issue myself since that build and it continues to my current one 4095_4816.

Did you find a way to resolve this?

Comment

I've been having that problem with the heading for some time - many months. I can't tell you when it began, and I never found the real cause. Further, I figured it was a problem within my CSS somewhere (large, complicated site) so never reported as a "bug".

You can fix the heading, however, with this in the UX onInitializeComplete event. Name your list appropriately, and the width to fit your needs (usually the LIST width).

Code:
      $ss('{dialog.componentname}.V.R1.LIST1.CONTROL.CHEADER.GROUP', {width: '980px'});
      A couple times I found I needed to add it to another event or two to keep it in place.

Not ideal, doesn't address the cause, but does put things back where they belong.
      -Steve
      sigpic

Comment

I also had an issue with list controls on updating - what I found was sloppy list layout on my part that Alpha was over looking but now doesn't so for instance if I did this
        {field1}
        {field2}

It would render each on it's own line, however AFTER updating I had to put

{field1}<br>
        {field2}

To get field two moved to the second line.
        Now, I do not know if that is the case in your list control layout but you may want to take a look at it specifically to see where everything is falling out and to what length you have it set (flex1???) You may need to specify the list width...
        NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Thanks Steve,

That code worked me.

True that it doesn't address the cause, but because I didn't make any changes to my List designs as well as this affects 1 of 4 lists on the same UX is why I didn't think it was my code issue.

None the less, Thanks again :)

Comment

Doesn't adding a specific width to the heading and or column in the list control accomplish the same thing? I am just curious as I have had no such similar issue where I set a specific width and it was ignored.
            NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Hi Charles,

What happens is the values I set in the List builder are overwritten with a new value when it loads into the browser.

Just like what Peter describes in his original post, I set a width for the List but when it is published or previewed in the browser, in my case 1000px is added to the value.
              So the specific width of 791px is changed to 1791px in the browser.

Steve's code corrects the issue by changing the width value after the page has loaded.

It is a strange issue honestly, because I have 4 lists on my UX with the same width/height and number of columns, spacing etc. But only one list has this issue.

Comment

Ok, that is weird...thanks for clarifying that. Have you sent in a test case to Alpha?

Comment

Nah, I haven't yet but as soon as I get a chance I will.

I'll add an update here with what the response is so it can help others :)

Comment

Laura-Kae: Thanks for picking this up and moving it ahead some. I am still having the problem in 3962_4772 (4.3.1) and other than Steve's code above, I have not found a resolution. Where did you place Steve's code so it will update your list to the correct width?

Steve: Your code
                    $ss('{dialog.componentname}.V.R1.LIST1.CONTROL.CHEADER.GROUP', {width: '980px'});
                    works if I run it directly from a button but I cannot get it to work automatically

If I put the code behind a button directly on the panel where the list is, the list updates to the correct layout immediately upon clicking the button.

If I put the code behind a button on another panel to get the list formatted correctly before switching to the panel where the list exists, the list does not format properly on the first pass. If I then switch away from the list panel and then back again, the list headings will be formatted correctly (i.e. some sort of delayed refresh of the list).

Any suggestions?

Peter

Comment

Hi Peter,

Yes I experience same, the code only works from button click.

I have 2 panel cards on my UX, with the list being on the second card. When I click the button to switch focus to the second card (with the list) I have to add some code to delay the firing of $ss('{dialog.componentname}.V.R1.LIST1.CONTROL.CHEADER.GROUP', {width: '980px'}); until after the page has completed loading. I find that all other events cause the code to run too quickly which is then overwritten by the incorrect width loaded onto the page.

Here is what I put on my button that switches panelcards:

Code:
                      {dialog.object}.refreshListData('List1');
                      {dialog.object}.panelSetActive('CARD2');

function sleep(milliseconds) {
                        var start = new Date().getTime();
                        for (var i = 0; i < 1e7; i++) {
                          if ((new Date().getTime() - start) > milliseconds){
                            break;
                          }
                        }
                      }

sleep(1);

Comment

It generally works well for me on the client-side onInitializeComplete. But sometimes with really dynamic pages that's not enough so other events are fair game -- it's not a big resource consumer but you still don't want to just dump it all over the place.

- Steve
                        -Steve
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the input and code samples. I had a few minutes this morning to try implementing your code Laura-Kae. I'm afraid that no matter where I put it or how long a sleep time I applied, the list controls in question refused to abide by the width reset.

However, I also noticed that even though I had indicated that the overall label for the list should be above the list and left-aligned, the label was also being centered incorrectly.

So I applied a "Style" property of text-align: left; in the Field Label section on the list control page and an "in-line style" of text-align: left; on the list properties page and magically the list label and all of the columns and column headings aligned themselves as they should.

I'm not sure where Alpha was getting the crazy container width for the column titles of 2649px in my original post, but these two settings have restored the same column title container to the proper width of 1125px as specified. Perhaps leaving them blank in the latest versions somehow causes some inheritance issues.

At this point, the issue has been resolved and again, thanks for all of your contributions.

Peter

Comment

Working...
                          X