Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Problem with classic dialog component

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with classic dialog component

I am having a problem in saving and therefore making any changes to any of my classic dialog components. Please see the attached image.

Yes, I could recreate these as UX components, but I have 100's of these classic dialogs. They have worked just fine until now.

I have noticed this just since updating to version 4.

Has anyone else noticed this?
    Attached Files
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Re: Problem with classic dialog component

Problems like this follow "Rudy's Rutabega Rule". It's not worth putting in the effort to fix one problem when you know that problem number two is waiting in the wings. The dialogs worked fine because they were living in their own environment. You hauled them out of the last dark decade and shoved them into the light where they blinked and fell over.

You'll spend buckets of time cobbling together this fix and that patch and end up with old components that will break on then next update.

There are a number of posts about "working components" breaking and then we find that these working components are over a year old, written and living in and environment that no longer exists. The environment was updated and there's surprise that problems arise. I'm shocked that anything in these systems work at all. A credit to Alpha that they do.

Re-create the components. You'll end up with something that's stable and can live through the next update.

Comment

Hi David,

Thanks so much for your input. Your knowledge and expertise is always welcomed!

Generally, I do appreciate your point, however, classic dialog is still a component that is offered on the web control panel, and this error occurs when creating a brand new dlg and then trying to save it.

Also, I am not in need off any new features for this particular application so it is difficult to accept that I would have to recreate components just because I want to make a minor edit.

That being said, I may need to do as you say or perhaps I need to roll back to a prior patch?
      Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Not sure which version you're working with, but in the current release Dialog (Classic) is listed under Legacy Components with a description of... "(Obsolete) ... This component is included for backward compatibility with V10. It is recommended that you use the new, AJAX enabled, Dialog component instead."

I think that detail applied when V11 was released. You're now 2 full version releases past the Dialog (Classic).

Comment

David,

I just rolled back to build 2689 and dlgs are editable and work perfectly. I will stick with that patch for now, and perhaps even just use it when I need to make edits to dlgs. To me, this suggests a bug has been introduced in the latest patch(es). I may be wrong, but I am thinking that this is the way I will go for now at least. Thanks for your input.
          Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Makes sense that a release from a year and a half ago would be ok. I doubt, very much, that it's a bug. Rather, that any current work is no longer taking into consideration an obsolete component. I would prefer this as supporting obsolete and replaced component types would make Alpha far too cumbersome and bloated. Staying with an old release is limiting, but necessary if you're going to continue with older component types.

Comment

when i looked at the first post i did not know that dialog existed till i unchecked hide classic dialog, however, that is not relevant.
              if you have a classic dialog to play with, then right click on that dialog and look for converting to the new dialog. it will convert most of the controls as the pop up says except for some code. you may be able to do most of the conversion then tune it to your satisfaction.
              good to try than abandon and stick with a dialog that has run its time.
              Last edited by GGandhi; 07-23-2016, 09:19 PM.
              thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
              mysql backend
              http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
              [email protected]
              1 914 924 5171

Comment

It turns out this is a bug introduced in build 3596 (May 10, 2016). Build 3583 (May 3, 2016) works fine.

Also, the release notes specify the following as a bug on May 10, 2016:

Bugs May 26, 2016

Security Framework - A recent change in a security function broke the security show /hide on legacy
                components built in early versions of Alpha Anywhere and previous Alpha versions. A workaround was
                to use the bulk update process to Update component security settings and republishing. It is now not
                necessary to use the workaround.

Obviously, Alpha's intention is to continue to support these legacy components which I am very happy about.

I have reported the bug this morning and have already received word back that the issue has been fixed in the pre-release build
                Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

That's very cool. I would, at leisure, starting converting.

Comment

Working...
                  X