Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Embedding object collapses list control.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embedding object collapses list control.

I just built a component, (using for single record,) and it seems to be working fine. It will be embedded into another component, so I decided to embed it, and test it. Unfortunately the the object was replaced with a line, or it could be the box collapsed.

I check the component outside of the embedding, and it also now shows a line instead of the list. I then have to close out of Alpha completely for it to work again. But the second I open it up as an embedded component, it no longer works.

ListWorking.pngListEmbeded.pngListNotWorking.png

The first image is the working component, the second is how it looks embedded, and the third is how the original component looks after opening it embedded.

Re: Embedding object collapses list control.

I never used embedded components and I haven't used a grid in 3 years - from what I can see embedding was required in the early day as the dialog (now UX) was bound to the database - like a grid, so only one could exist UX could exist with lists etc at a time, NOW it's difficult to see why you would bother when you can now bind to the list control (in as many panels and navigators etc. to as many databases as you want) and have as much flexibility in the one UX as you could ever with using embedded components. So id suggest think what you are doing - also embedded components and mobile environments are not a good match. - Hope this helps.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

You've not mentioned what Alpha Version/Build you're working with.

I use embedded components a lot. As always, depending on what you're doing, they'll make sense for your project or not. They are excellent intermediary components for testing a section of your project. Properly built, you can embed them into your main project and test without having to rebuild all the time. Then, when ready, bring them into the main UX. Every tool has a use and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

Are you sure you're not setting some code somewhere to that would affect rendering your component? Since it works again after you restart Alpha, that may point to something you're setting... and the restart works because it's not messed up yet.

I've never had an issue with embedded components.

Comment

It is a UX, not a grid.

I only started using embedded components last year. I thought I saw a recent video on using them with a mobile device, and seemed like a good idea to compartmentalize my development. I would work on each piece at a time, and just embed it into the app.

I guess I will get to work pushing everything together. At least it's only 4 so far. I was planning on building about 17 more.

Thanks Pete.

Comment

David, I did search. Security was the first thing I looked at. What I thought was strange was I could open it up, and it works perfectly. Open it embedded, it is messed up. I look at the component again, and it is now messed up. I could see having it messed up when they were connected, but didn't understand how it was messing it up outside of that component, when I didn't make any changes to it.

The outer components were built in AA v3, (point what I don't know,but current in October and November,) but the current one was built in the current build. (12.4.2 build 3670 System Addins 4684)

I had a little unexpected break in development. That was something else I thought of, but wasn't sure if that recent of a change would have been enough to affect it.

Comment

17 embedded components? Everything in moderation. Whether using embedded components or bringing those controls in-line... how big is this app going to be?

You can also embed the components in different ways. That may help overall, at some point.

Are your component formats Binary or Formatted JSON? Are your AAv3 components working with anything that may have changed in V4?

What if you just start with a new empty UX and embed your troublesome UX... same results?

Are you referencing the embedded UX, to set your business logo and name, in any specific way that might cause an issue.

Overall, not a lot to go on here... maybe post a test sample if you can build something that will repeat the issue.

Comment

The List UX wouldn't even show when embedded into a Blank UX. So I built another UX list with static data, and it worked fine by itself, embedded into the Blank UX, and even into the Main UX. I've turned off security.

I copied the component, and pasted it into the panel, and it did the same thing.

I rebooted, recalculated, and began tearing apart my List UX piece by piece, and finally narrowed it down to the filter. For some reason if the list is filtered, it will not show in live preview, or in the browser if the Main UX has run first. But it does work in working preview. Even trying to build a whole new, simple list won't work if it is filtered. But again, only if my Main UX has run first.

I haven't used any JSON yet. So far the only things that exist are the login, signup, business signup, and a menu system, with a bunch of panels. A few session variables are set, and some arguments, a ton of buttons set in containers to show expanding and contracting buttons. I know I started with a pre-built component, but I disliked the menu, and replaced it with containers and buttons.

Comment

So there, you have good suggestions ( and views) from myself and David - all you need to do is make one of then work reliably in the field. Cheers, Pete
                Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Comment

A annoying as it is, I'm actually thinking of starting my app over...again. But using what I built as a guide to get me back to where I was before in a short time. Unfortunately I still don't know why the filter would be doing this, and why opening one component in live preview would affect another without them interacting.

But first I am restoring previous copies of my Main component, and seeing at what point the problem it starts to interfere with the other component.

Comment

Well, I traced my problem. My Main UX was dimensioning a session variable that my other UX was using to define an argument. What confuses me is that I was using an argument to filter my list, and it had a default value I was using to test it. I would have thought the default value wouldn't be affected by anything happening to the session variable. Especially since it was still empty at this point.

Comment

Now it's making sense. Session vars are a bit tenuous in mobile apps... and to be used very carefully, if at all. There are better solutions. It may be a timing issue between the main and embedded UX and the session var... it's all just a guess without seeing anything.

I'd prefer not setting a session var and instead, upon loading the embedded component test for, and grab the parent UX and the data in a control to be used as the filter in an embedded UX. Make sure your controls and Lists have what they need before they're run.

Comment

I had planned on removing it. I was only using it to supply filtered data for the component while it wasn't embedded.

Anyway, I am now going to quit using the embedded functions, and just move everything into a single app, following Pete's suggestion. And I realize I don't know how to do that. My menu system took a good month and a half to build. Obviously I could replicate it much more quickly than that, using the component as a template, but wouldn't mind saving all that work.

Comment

PM me and I will assist on fast tracking you.

Comment

Working...
                          X