Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Straw Poll - How many people have used the feature "Pre-rendered component at design-time"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straw Poll - How many people have used the feature "Pre-rendered component at design-time"

Hi All,

Back in June, I completely missed when the current Release (3670-4684 13-Jun-2016) came out that there was this new feature,

But now we tripped over it we have found some of the larger UX are sooooo much faster now it is amazing... the inability of using security is a real bugger but for many UXs this is amazing performance boost that we are aplyying it to every UX we can...

But... (there is always a but)
    We are finding it can do some funny things from time to time most of which we have not been able to completely put our finger on. But have had cases of UX going south and the only recourse is to restore from a backup and start again. Un-checking the option seemed to make it worse.

So I am wondering who has used this feature and what as your experiences been?

Here are the release notes
    A new option in the UX allows you to pre-render the component layout at design-time, thus speeding up the load time for the component at run-time.
    NOTE: Not all use cases are appropriate candidates for this option. In particular, if you have controls on your UX that are shown/hidden based on a user's security group, or based on session variables, then you should not use this option. The reason is that at design-time when the component is rendered, it is not know what the value of the session variables or group assignments are.
    TIP: You can easily check if a component uses security and/or server-side show hide expressions by click the Menu button and then selecting the 'Security and server-side show/hide settings in component...' menu choice.

To turn on this optimization feature go to the Properties pane in the UX builder and check the 'Pre-render component at design-time' property.

When you check this property you will see two additional properties:
    When to compute pre-rendered component - Options are 'Every time component is saved' and 'Prompt when component is saved'. In a large component, computing the pre-rendered component will take a noticeable amount of time and you might not want to compute the pre-rendered component every time the component is saved. If you select the 'Prompt at run-time' option, be sure to re-compute the layout the last time you save the component before exiting the UX builder.
    Allow style to be changed at run-time - You will get the most optimization if you do not allow the component style to be changed at run-time. For example consider a situation where you have a parent UX or Grid that opens a child UX. Assume that the parent component uses a style of MobBlue. If the child UX (the component that you are setting to pre-render at design-time) also uses MobBlue, then you can leave this property unchecked. However, if the child UX uses (say) MobRed, then you will need to check this option (and you will not get the maximum amount of optimization).
    Yes I use it and I have had no problems
    19.05%
    Yes i use it and I HAVE had problems
    33.33%
    Know about it but don't use it
    28.57%
    Never heard of it!!
    19.05%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by kiwibruce; 09-20-2016, 09:30 AM. Reason: type

Re: Straw Poll - How many people have used the feature "Pre-rendered component at design-time"

I have been using it for some time. For security, I used session variables to enable/disable controls. The issues I have in working preview. With this option checked, when I run in working preview I always get a javascript error. From my testing, you can only run in live preview with this option checked.

Comment

Re: Straw Poll - How many people have used the feature "Pre-rendered component at design-time"

I use this option a lot. Most of the time it works. The times it doesn't I just turn the option off. I haven't had any extra time to try and create a test case for Alpha or narrow down why this fails sometimes. When it does work it indeed speeds up the loading time.
      Mike Brown - Contact Me
      Programmatic Technologies, LLC
      Programmatic-Technologies.com
      Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

I started using it a couple months ago and love it. I started out with a very large UX that was loading too slowly, knocked the load time from 11 seconds to 3. I have another mobile app (not Phone Gap) I set for pre-render, and the load speed was cut in half.

Now, whenever I'm building, I try to use this, and when I'm editing any older components, I'll see if I can pre-render those as well.
        -Steve
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mikeallenbrown View Post
          I haven't had any extra time to try and create a test case for Alpha or narrow down why this fails sometimes.
          Yeah this is our problem, I suspect complex UXs with nested embedded UXs seem to be the cause but really need 1/2 a day to build a test example but we have had some UXs that break really badly when we turned this option on. But I LOVE the speed

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Workings View Post
            I started using it a couple months ago and love it. I started out with a very large UX that was loading too slowly, knocked the load time from 11 seconds to 3. I have another mobile app (not Phone Gap) I set for pre-render, and the load speed was cut in half.

Now, whenever I'm building, I try to use this, and when I'm editing any older components, I'll see if I can pre-render those as well.
            Hi Steve, Yeah this saved our bacon with a client that was very very unhappy with the speed and quite rightly so and we were out of ideas on what else we could do to speed it up, IIS included. But it sure has caused us some headaches as well but maybe it is complex 'OLD' UX with lots of stuff happening that get messed up We have now found that if we un-check it an immediate re-calc of controls is required otherwise all hell can break loose.

Comment

Yep, we also do it where possible and also change the architecture of new stuf, esspecially for mobile (not PhoneGap yet).

If possible we load all session variables en security settings when opening the home component and, pass them on in arguments when opening other components and do the show/hiding client side.

If prerender give problems than sometimes the options 'compute panellayout at designtime' and 'compute databinding code at designtime' can stil be used and preserves a part if the speed increase.
              Ger Kurvers
              Alpha Anywhere / V4.6.1.9- Build 6488 (production) / V4.6.5.1 - 8722-5683(testing)
              Development: Mysql, windows 10 64 Applicationserver: standard on Windows server 2019

Comment

Originally posted by cptutrecht View Post
                Yep, we also do it where possible and also change the architecture of new stuf, esspecially for mobile (not PhoneGap yet).

If possible we load all session variables en security settings when opening the home component and, pass them on in arguments when opening other components and do the show/hiding client side.

If prerender give problems than sometimes the options 'compute panellayout at designtime' and 'compute databinding code at designtime' can still be used and preserves a part if the speed increase.
                Hi Ger,

So you mention session variables and passing them as arguments, So have you found session variables a problem when using ?Pre-rendered component at design-time"? it is something we have found to be a bit of an issue but not managed to nail down.
                Also you mentioned 'compute panellayout at designtime' and 'compute databinding code at designtime'
                I use 'compute databinding code at designtime' but have not tried 'compute panellayout at designtime' ... blooming heck, another feature I seemed to have missed! How do you find the performance Vs 'PreRender component' do you find that option causes any issues when you have used it.

BTW Love the discussion on these speed up options.

Bruce

Comment

Thats a bit sad, 169 views and only 12 people have filled out the poll,

Comment

Not session variables are the problem, but any serverside action based on them. And we did that a lot.
                    Passing them as arguments makes it just easier (for me, maybe a matter of taste) to use them clientside.

Originally posted by kiwibruce View Post
                    Hi Ger,

So you mention session variables and passing them as arguments, So have you found session variables a problem when using ?Pre-rendered component at design-time"? it is something we have found to be a bit of an issue but not managed to nail down.
                    Also you mentioned 'compute panellayout at designtime' and 'compute databinding code at designtime'
                    I use 'compute databinding code at designtime' but have not tried 'compute panellayout at designtime' ... blooming heck, another feature I seemed to have missed! How do you find the performance Vs 'PreRender component' do you find that option causes any issues when you have used it.

BTW Love the discussion on these speed up options.

Bruce
                    Ger Kurvers
                    Alpha Anywhere / V4.6.1.9- Build 6488 (production) / V4.6.5.1 - 8722-5683(testing)
                    Development: Mysql, windows 10 64 Applicationserver: standard on Windows server 2019

Comment

I remember trying this out briefly when the pre-release was first made available and I had all sorts of problems with it. I stopped using it at the time as I didn't have the time to invest in figuring out what was happening, 'if' I even could figure it out. I might revisit this option again when the opportunity arises, perhaps some of the original problems have been fixed in the latest releases?
                      Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Originally posted by iRadiate View Post
                        I remember trying this out briefly when the pre-release was first made available and I had all sorts of problems with it. I stopped using it at the time as I didn't have the time to invest in figuring out what was happening, 'if' I even could figure it out. I might revisit this option again when the opportunity arises, perhaps some of the original problems have been fixed in the latest releases?
                        Hi Stephen,
                        You should check it out again. As I said in my initial post, the speed increase is amazing.. but sometime not without issues but I suspect it is more to do with turning it on with exiting UX's that are complicated. Would love to get more people testing it out so so we can narrow down where the issues are as I love the speed improvement.

Comment

Hi, I am trying to use this feature and I have a couple of uxes that will not render when I select this option. Does anyone know what the usual problems are?

It generates a 500 internal server error.
                          This is from firebug

<!DOCTYPE html>
                          <html><head>
                          <title>500 Internal Server Error</title>
                          </head><body>
                          <h1>500 Internal Server Error</h1>
                          <b>Script Error</b><br />Error:Script:a5_ajax_Dialog2() line:11351<br/>
                          Property not found
                          <br/>
                          rtc.a_rs subelement not found.
                          <p>
                          <hr>
                          <address>Alpha Anywhere Application Server Application Server/12.0 Build/3670-4684</address>
                          </body></html>
                          Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Re: Straw Poll - How many people have used the feature &quot;Pre-rendered component at design-time&quot;

Most of my components use security on the controls so that precludes me from using this feature.
                            But I just tried this again on those components that don't use security and I get nothing but errors much like Frank posted above.
                            Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Re: Straw Poll - How many people have used the feature &quot;Pre-rendered component at design-time&quot;

Originally posted by iRadiate View Post
                              Most of my components use security on the controls so that precludes me from using this feature.
                              But I just tried this again on those components that don't use security and I get nothing but errors much like Frank posted above.
                              Do you see anything in Console? Are you using session variables?
                              This is what I was hoping to spur with this thread.
                              I think this is a really cool feature but I get the sense there are still a few kinks for Alpha to iorn out but becasue few people us it the kinks have remained hidden.
                              Have you done a "Recalculate all controls"? I find it is vital that this is run after you enable or disable this feature.

Comment

Working...
                              X