Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Why you should NEVER use pre-release builds, that contain bug fixes in my view.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why you should NEVER use pre-release builds, that contain bug fixes in my view.

Lets read that again and let it soak in "Why you should NEVER use pre-release builds, that contain bug fixes in my view."

They require ongoing (possibly indefinite) subscriptions even if patched during your current subscription", to be clear lets read the text at the top of the Patch Download Page - I've seen it hundreds of times - but didn't really read it through.

Alpha Anywhere Updates
    The current Alpha Anywhere (Alpha Five Version 12) build is 3670_4684 (released on 13 JUN 2016 09:33 AM).
    Please note that Alpha Anywhere patches are only available to users with a current subscription. You can verify your subscription status from within Alpha Anywhere by going to Help, About, or by clicking this link.
    If you install an update for which your subscription is not entitled, you will need to uninstall the update and rollback to an older version that you are authorized to use in order to continue using Alpha Anywhere.
    The devil is in the last line. Here it is again.

If you install an update for which your subscription is not entitled, you will need to uninstall the update and rollback to an older version that you are authorized to use in order to continue using Alpha Anywhere.
    I'll break it down - what it is saying is something like this - if you purchased your AA licence say on September 30, 2015 - and it will expire on September 29 2016, last build you are entitled to use is the LAST OFFICIAL RELEASE of AA ( Or Official Patch) in this case the last Official Release build is build is 3670_4684 (released on 13 JUN 2016 09:33 AM) as stated above - and not the pre-release build (that contains bug fixes) you were on at the time.

This means the definition of subscription is based on the cycle of whatever Official Release you may encounter during your subscription period. It means the subscription is provided 'as is' and does not necessarily include bug any fixes for past issues that will work in the future should you not subscribe beyond the current subscription, in this case, the clients sub that expired on September 29 2016, will no longer have access to bug fixes provided since 13 JUN 2016 09:33 AM, as the client needs to return back to that build, even though his code contains the bug fix material provided, this is clearly disastrous as the code will no longer work.

The problem comes about mainly because bug fixes are mixed up with new pre_release builds, that is you can't have one without the other - the questions then is - if this is so - then what is the subscription for? What are you getting along the way during the period you didnt have at the start!

This is an issue of catastrophic proportions - the idea business access pre-release updates to fix issues that clearly needing fixing - will have non-functioning applications later - In this case October 1st unless they subscribe again to the same 13 JUN 2016 09:33 AM build in the hope at some time in the future a new Official Release is made available during the new subscription period.

I really don't know what to think about all this - but what I do know, is at the very least the Bug fixes released during the subscription period must remain available after the subscription expires.

In the 12 months Prior 13 JUN 2016 09:33 AM there were 11 Official Release Updates - since 13 JUN 2016 09:33 AM there have been none.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Re: Why you should NEVER use pre-release builds, that contain bug fixes in my view.

This is true but just for legacy licenses.
    But Alpha just sells now (from this year) licenses that totally stop working after subscription ends. So you can use prerelease builds without problems with current license policy.

Comment

Re: Why you should NEVER use pre-release builds, that contain bug fixes in my view.

Alpha needs to provide a regular schedule of releases. Quarterly might be ideal. No one wants to do new installs every few weeks. But similarly, no one wants to wait inordinate periods of time for a new stable release if you're on a subscription.

As far as the Alpha-stops-working-when-your-subscription-expires policy - if it is the actual "policy". Then they should say so loudly and clearly on their website. I fail to understand why the licensing policy is not clearly stated on their web site for everyone to see as do most other software companies.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
        Alpha needs to provide a regular schedule of releases. Quarterly might be ideal. No one wants to do new installs every few weeks. But similarly, no one wants to wait inordinate periods of time for a new stable release if you're on a subscription.

As far as the Alpha-stops-working-when-your-subscription-expires policy - if it is the actual "policy". Then they should say so loudly and clearly on their website. I fail to understand why the licensing policy is not clearly stated on their web site for everyone to see as do most other software companies.
        Please check this threat post #54. Post is from Lenny. It is loudly and clearly said.(but just for active messageboard users)

Comment

Again, that is the official un-official policy. Why won't they spell it out on their web site for everyone to see?
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Most vendors like telerik Synfusion set out/ deilver each Q that is normal behavior, so i can't explain but it raises questions, why A5 don't follow this marketing behavior

Comment

Ken - don't get the issues confused - what I am talking about is like a games of snakes and ladders when I was a kid, you would progress up the board as the game went on - you would reach milestones along the way and feel confident, but then you would land on the head of the snake (end of subscription) the milestones you achieved (with the benefit of bug fixes) are all lost as you slide back to where you were before progressing up the ladder. The issue is not whether IT will work, the issue is will your most recent component made before the end of the subscription will work, and I can tell you he answer to that is no.
              Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Comment

All components made with official or prelease version stops working when subscription ends. So does developer and servers. You can not use Alpha software anymore.
                No difference are you running official or prelease version. Everything stops. So what do I not understand?

Comment

It does not end - it will not work with any other build than the last Official Release or Update in the Subscription Cycle. As Alpha Put it:

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                    It does not end - it will not work with any other build than the last Official Release or Update in the Subscription Cycle. As Alpha Put it:
                    Yes it will end.

But not legacy license that you seem to have. Update license and you are in same boat next year. It is time to take head out of paperback.

Comment

could a legacy a subscription and new server lic work together perhaps that explains the difference vs developer and customer ? very odd situation so to say
                      Last edited by bea2701; 10-18-2016, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Ken - what does 'It is time to take head out of paperback.' mean?

Comment

It means open your eyes world has again changed

Comment

Well what can I say.. May be i'll just keep my observations to myself as those with eyes open already know everything.

Comment

For reason or other you did not read Lennys annoucment about changes in licenses starting from January 2016 as I pointed in my post #4.
                              So this threads subject has been already discussed at least in august. So nothing new in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X