Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

What is using heavy CPU ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is using heavy CPU ?

I monitor CPU usage. I have a WEB/SQL that has a lot of components. 70 remote users. 200 tablets.

SOMETHING is running for 1-2 minutes with really heavy CPU.

I get the log message below, but if I could find what Grid or UX is the source, I can find/fix the CPU punishment.

It is not (yet) hurting the users and it is relatively rare.

HOW CAN I DETECT WHAT COMPONENT IS BURNING CPU TIME? Jiving it with the Access.Log is inconclusive.

SQL time is low, but Alpha Server time pins the meter for about 2 minutes.

This it my XBasic.Txt from the Server (Current AppServer release as of today.)
    =================================================================
    Thu Feb 09 11:14:48 2017
    Thread priority reduced.
    Thread was busy 95% of the last 20 seconds.
    Raw Data: 326522180251717,89934576,326522305631490,91837787,2006076,1903211,20047877,19094522
    The script causing this behavior is using a lot of CPU time.
    You may want to review the page to make sure you have optimized any XBasic scripting.
    Long running and processor intensive scripts tend to tie up available threads and adversely affect the perceived performance for multiple users.

Execution Stack:
    0#1 evaluate_shared_private(
    0#37 OOhttpdServerClientMIME(ptemp,"AppServerMain")
    0#2 A5WCallResult = evaluate_a5w_to_response(page_contents,Response,quote(" " + eval_settings.global.Request.ScriptName),eval_settings,EVALUATE_A5W_TIMEOUT,RequestBundle.RequestInfo.Filename.Path)
    0#180 x_out = a5_ajax_dialog2(tmpl)
    ==========================================================
    Thu Feb 09 11:15:08 2017
    Thread priority restored to normal after being lowered for 20 seconds due to heavy usage.

Execution Stack:
    0#1 evaluate_shared_private(
    0#37 OOhttpdServerClientMIME(ptemp,"AppServerMain")
    0#2 A5WCallResult = evaluate_a5w_to_response(page_contents,Response,quote(" " + eval_settings.global.Request.ScriptName),eval_settings,EVALUATE_A5W_TIMEOUT,RequestBundle.RequestInfo.Filename.Path)
    0#180 x_out = a5_ajax_dialog2(tmpl)
    ==========================================================
    Carl ~ Dallas, TX
    I'm so old that pool balls came with Roman Numerals

Re: What is using heavy CPU ?

Certainly someone else has CPU challenges now and then.

What is a good way to determine what it so intense on CPU?

Again rare, but as I use AlwaysUp, I''d rather fix it than have AlwaysUp restart AppServer.
    Carl ~ Dallas, TX

Comment

In your build are you calling a child component from the parent to refresh a child List in a UX?
      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
      Albert Einstein, (attributed)
      US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

No, and I'm not sure if it is a grid or a UX.

I have 70 users and 200 tablets and something one or more of them are doing hits the CPU for about 20-25 seconds at 95%+.

All I'd love to see is a clue to the component that's having all the fun.

Instead of:
        The script causing this behavior is using a lot of CPU time.
        You may want to review the page to make sure you have optimized any XBasic scripting.

I'd love:
        A script executed by "grid_Transactions_guidguidguidguid" is causing this behavior is using a lot of CPU time.
        Carl ~ Dallas, TX

Comment

You can turn on the HTTP Raw log and match the time stamp in the xbasic error log to the timestamp in the raw log header and then get the name of the component from the query string in the body. The error indicated it is in a UX component, so look for the value in the query string for "__dialogFilename"

You have not indicated what build you are using. The latest release builds have changes to reduce the memory footprint and CPU load, particularly when using UX. If you have a lot of UX, you should consider pre-render. Not only is it significantly faster, it reduces processor load.

However, if the 70 users and 200 mobile users are moderate to heavy users, it is very likely the system is in overload. In overload, almost any request could push the CPU to 100%. If you have the access log on, you can get a rough measure of load using the function "a5w_analyzewebaccesslogs()". This will calculate and chart the number of requests and can be run from the server interactive window. Most systems will begin to slow in the 150 requests per minute range, although there can be significant differences between applications based on design.

Comment

I just turned on HTTP logging last evening in hope of just that!

Developer and AppServer builds are current as of today, but I have not republished all components.

I republished a few components and one of them acted very different even though I merely changed some styling. A little unnerving.

All of the users are light. A tablet does 3 to 5 transactions a day, and the Web users are light, too.

I watch the Resource Monitor and other than Mister HOG, who goes 20-30 seconds at 95-100%, the graph is mere blips here and there and generally floating along at 3-5%.

SPEAKING OF THE DEVIL, the graph is showing Mister HOG is at work, and so I ... never mind, false alarm.

If the HTTP log will ID the possible culprit, I can take it from there.
            Carl ~ Dallas, TX

Comment

You need to be careful using pre-release... I have had issues with the last 3.. so tread your own path, but there are is a risk as the download page warns... just saying..
              Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Comment

I don't use pre-release. I'm current at Build 4119 both Dev and AppServer.

My guess d' jour is that I have a PhoneGap app that will synchronize a large list.

From the HTTP log I saw one user send a 3-meg transaction which looks to be a full list.

I've Identified the tablet and will be looking for others that might be similarly inclined.

I damn well will improve my "who is doing what & when" logging data in the next release of the tablet software.

It looks like I will be reading HTTP logs for a few days. Sigh.
                Carl ~ Dallas, TX

Comment

Good ..

Comment

HTTP logs aren't telling me anything particularly useful.

XBasic log says essentially " .... something is using CPU, you might want to make the script run better." No S**t Sherlock!

AlwaysUp will restart the AppServer after 15 minutes of 95%+ CPU usage. There is NOTHING going on that should last over 2 or 3 seconds, and most should be a mere blip.

Frustrated to the max.
                    Carl ~ Dallas, TX

Comment

Ask Selwyn directly - if its possible for the message to name the process.

Comment

this line is specific, 'to make sure you have optimized any XBasic scripting' could be a clue, it may not be your xbasic, it may be the systems.

Comment

Will do. But I turned OFF HTTP logging and much of my CPU load faded away!
                          I'd consider jumping off a cliff, but there aren't many cliffs in Dallas.

I do think it is probable that it is system XBasic routines; I just can't identify who is sucking up all the suds.

One discovered culprit is an older PhoneGap app without any embedded (dynamically loaded) UX components and it seems to slam the CPU.

I promise I'll share anything definitive I encounter. I believe there is more than one thief.

G'day, mate to All Y'All!
                          Carl ~ Dallas, TX

Comment

It's well documented that the logging has a hefty load (may be the xbasic I was suggesting) and should only be used when necessary..

Comment

Working...
                            X