Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

My grids are so ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My grids are so ugly

Right now I'm so frustrated with grids.

Over the years I've played with grids and they end up being so ugly. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. There is too much white space between columns which I can't seem to eliminate. The grid I'm working on, I can't add a field to. I can add the field, but it doesn't show no matter what I do. And then if I delete that field, when I look at the grid, a different field is gone. Crazy.

Lastly, when I view the grid in working preview, it looks one way. Then when I view the same grid live on the web, it looks completely different. The WEB grid explodes and gets so large. And what's with the text boxes with drop downs. They look goofy.

Except for the missing field, they work, but I wish I had more control over how they look. There is suppose to be a TextArea next to the Description TextArea called Notes. I go to the Fields tab and it's there and it has been selected as a TextArea, but it doesn't show.

Grid1.PNG Grid2.PNG

I know I'm doing something wrong, but I just can't seem to figure out what. I've tried looking at videos, but I can't seem to find any that addresses my issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Alpha 5 Version 11
    AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
    DBF's and MySql
    Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Re: My grids are so ugly

whether i like the grid or not is irrelevant, yes these are not good looking. but that is not the way the grids look like nor the dropdown. there is something fundamentally wrong here. if i were you i would create a new grid from scratch something simple read only or updatable grid nothing fancy and publish and take a look. while the grids are easy to work with, you are in version 12. literally grids have gone out of the door in that version in favor of lists. the lists look like grids have gone to the beach. if i were you, again, i would start with lists, then viewboxes etc.,
    ronald i know you are moving from desktop to web world, believe me not before long you would be in the mobile world. grids are not going to cut it in that devices.
    thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
    mysql backend
    http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
    [email protected]
    1 914 924 5171

Comment

Grids, like everything else in Alpha Anywhere, have their place... they are far from out the door. But you really need to be using Version 12 to understand the continuing work going into the Grid.

I'm not sure if you're building with 2999 as your signature suggests, but using a build that is almost 2 years old... or not using Version 12 at all... doesn't really give you any kind of perspective.

My test grids looks the same Live Preview, Working Preview, and published.

You should confirm the build you're using and post a sample with specific references to items you'd like to review.

Comment

The reason your grids look different is that they are using different CSS settings. On possibility, if your grid is fired under a TabbedUI, it will use the css setting for the tabbed ui, not the one set for the grid. In that situation, your local preview might be different than your deployed version. The whole issue of fields existing, missing, etc. just sounds like you are missing something, like the Show/Hide is playing a role, or perhaps Security is set for that field. I would go to your published location REMOVE the grid file, ensure it is actually missing by trying to fire it up, then republish from your source. You can also go to Edit > Bulk Operations > Update Compiled files... that would help ensure you are getting a fresh copy of your component to publish.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Also, on grids, they are pretty ugly, none of the Alpha styles are that great for grid (or lists for that matter). But Grids are just fine for Mobile in terms of being "responsive", but to make them responsive you need to use Freeform and apply some CSS to make it work (not that this was part of your question).
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

re: 'I know I'm doing something wrong, but I just can't seem to figure out what. I've tried looking at videos, but I can't seem to find any that addresses my issues.'
            move to the UX List Control is my advice - there is nothing on your samples that could not be done quickly in the list.
            Cheers Pete
            Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
            Albert Einstein, (attributed)
            US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

A grid may be coersed into being responsive, with a lot of work, but grids are not touch enabled, which affect so many areas including scrolling. They may be ok on large devices running as a web application but they are not designed for mobile applications.

Comment

Everyone, thank you so much for your input.

1. Yes, I'm using build 2999. It's a money thing.
                2. For the current application, the Grid will be used in a browser run from the desktop, not mobile.
                3. One of my purposes for this exercise is I'm still developing for the desktop and I have an interest in building WEB components and using them both for the WEB and in a Desktop.
                4. I took Gandhi's advice and started over. There was some sort of corruption in the original grid.
                5. I'm using fixed column widths. With some fiddling between Column widths and TextBox Properties->In-line style, I seem to have been able to put together something much more acceptable than the previous examples. In fact, at this point, I only have three issues that maybe you can help me with.

First, I haven't been able to figure out the relationship between the column heading alignment and the column alignment. What seems to work for one column doesn't seem to work for another column. I don't now if it's trial and error or if I'm just going about it wrong.

Second, as I have two textareas which are 2 rows in height, I would like to have the textboxes vertical alignment to be top. I tried to do this and it didn't work. How would you do this.

Third, the designed style is being over-ridden in the WEB application. How do I retain the style that the Grid was designed with.

Grid3.PNG Grid4.PNG

Again, thanks for your input. It is truly appreciated.
                Alpha 5 Version 11
                DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Second, as I have two textareas which are 2 rows in height, I would like to have the textboxes vertical alignment to be top. I tried to do this and it didn't work. How would you do this.
                  go to label properties and select cell in-line property and add this line
                  vertical-align:top;
                  and review in working preview.
                  https://www.screencast.com/t/wNIOtJZxHrm

https://www.screencast.com/t/HeelhSqSPhjj
                  is this the way you want?
                  thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                  mysql backend
                  [email protected]
                  1 914 924 5171

Comment

Third, the designed style is being over-ridden in the WEB application. How do I retain the style that the Grid was designed with.
                    not sure what this means, how is that being over-ridden by what?
                    thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                    mysql backend
                    [email protected]
                    1 914 924 5171

Comment

First, I haven't been able to figure out the relationship between the column heading alignment and the column alignment. What seems to work for one column doesn't seem to work for another column. I don't now if it's trial and error or if I'm just going about it wrong.
                      you should be able to set this up with in-line css. if you show what you have and what you want to have, some one will definitely show you how.
                      thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                      mysql backend
                      [email protected]
                      1 914 924 5171

Comment

Align across the top: I was in the wrong place. Your screen shot straightened me out. Thanks.

"if you show what you have and what you want to have, some one will definitely show you how. " I don't even know what to show here.

"Third, the designed style is being over-ridden in the WEB application. How do I retain the style that the Grid was designed with.
                        not sure what this means, how is that being over-ridden by what? "

The left screen shot shown in development is what I want. The right screen shot is what I get on the WEB. I want the left screen shot to be what I see on the WEB.
                        Alpha 5 Version 11
                        DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

The left screen shot shown in development is what I want. The right screen shot is what I get on the WEB. I want the left screen shot to be what I see on the WEB.
                          how is the grid being shown in the web?
                          first and foremost to avoid confusion with different css, go to project properties on the top of the web control panel and select a css you like. (the one in e web looks like mobile blue, the one in the grid looks like gradient blue)
                          then in all the grids and whatever wyou have in the properties select project style than any individual style then all will looks the same none will be over-ridden. when you get tired of one style just change it in the project level.

https://www.screencast.com/t/V41lYEtDgK

https://www.screencast.com/t/mos3uk6SrXR8
                          thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                          mysql backend
                          [email protected]
                          1 914 924 5171

Comment

A trick to determine how the web (aka A5W page) is affecting your grid, is to open the Grid and select Save Page from the menu bar. Save the page as "TEST" or similar. Be sure to select "I want to set the background myself" from the save dialog. (IMO, NEVER choose the other option to set the A5W page body style to match the grid). Set the security to Always Allow for your new TEST.A5W page if needed. Publish and look at your grid in that A5W page. It should be reflective of whatever CSS you set for the grid.

If your grid looks different in your TEST vs the original page, then go to your original page, edit and look for the <body> tag. If it has something like <body class="xyz">, change it to just <body>. Republish and test your page. And, like I said earlier, if your grid is inside a TabbedUI, then the grid will adopt the css from the TabbedUI, overriding whatever you set for the grid.
                            Steve Wood
                            See my profile on IADN

Comment

OK, I already have the properties set as you suggest. What's different is that I'm opening the grid from a button in a UX component.

Grid5.PNG Grid6.PNG Grid7.PNG Grid8.PNG

The UX components are set to MobileBlue. How do I make the grid open up as the WEB default style?
                              Is there a setting or do I need to create a web page?

Sorry but I just don't know what to do here.
                              Alpha 5 Version 11
                              DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Working...
                              X