Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Repeating Section WITHIN a Repeating Section... Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repeating Section WITHIN a Repeating Section... Is it possible?

This is interesting. Based on some needs by my customer for a project I'm working on, I would like to place a Repeating Section within a Repeating Section... And I'm not sure if it's doable. When I tried it, I got a strange result, so I can use some help (maybe a list control or viewbox or something else will be a better route). Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

I have developed an application where the user develops "quotations" for construction jobs. For that, I used a simple Repeating Section with a "Lookup Field" that populates a description field. The user can add a price. It works well. However, my customer wants to be able to add "disclaimers" and other Notes, specifically for that Item in the quote (which would also save with the quote, attached to that item). So, if the Lookup Item is "Pave Driveway" and the description is "Repair 500 sq ft Drive with premium asphalt", she wants to be able to add notes, just for that item, such as "Customer Responsible for cleaning and preparing area" and (next line in the Repeating Section) "Price Does Not Include Striping Parking Spaces", etc. Those are descriptions for that specific task. The next task might be "Concrete Blocks" with a description "Add concrete blocks to parking spaces, after pavement has settled" and there would be descriptions for that, as well.

When I tried to put a repeating section within the repeating section, I get an error message that "Repeating Sections cannot be nested) and it added a "rogue" field to the design (see image below).
    So, obviously, I can't do it the way I wanted.

Is there any way to accomplish what I want or do I have to completely rethink my customer's request?

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions.

Phil

Re: Repeating Section WITHIN a Repeating Section... Is it possible?

Several possibilities:

1) Put a button in your repeating section. The button allows you to open another UX (or a container, or a panel tab) which has a repeating section (or a list) filtered to the current row in the repeating section.

2) If you are not worried about mobile, use a grid instead. You can nest grids no problem.

3) Change the entire construct to a list structure. You can't nest lists, but you can have parent and child lists that would allow you to get to the same place.

Comment

when you have repeating section in a ux, the primary table is not saved yet and hence the repeating section does not have its id so there is no way to add another repeating section either in the same ux or popup filtered by the current row in the repeating section ( because it is not there yet).
      grid is definitely an option since you can save independantly, unlike ux/dialogs, as you go. the drawback with this is that the customer cannot discard the quote, since it is saved unlike ux/dialogs.
      or, you can just add an additional field/control to add comment disclaimer to the repeating section itself
      thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
      mysql backend
      http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
      [email protected]
      1 914 924 5171

Comment

In my application, I have a cost library (table) where people can write it once - pick from that and tweak it from there. So users can create any amount of choices with ones for Driveways with disclaimers and others without - they could still choose, depending on what they wanted so your back to write it once and just point to select.
        An alternate idea would be to create 2 additional tables, one for job types and one for additional verbiage - then use "types" as a dynamic filter in a lookup for the additional verbiage that again - they would write once and simply select during quotes.

Lastly, if your not using lists - you should start! While grids definitely are awesome, the UX control is outstanding when used with list controls. I have one UX with a repeating section for my invoicing component and at least once a month I consider re-writing it to get rid of the repeating section because customizing it's appearance is really difficult for me, and I want to do other things that a list control seems to me would make more sense and be easier to work with in terms of appearance and presentation, but that's all in my limitations and experience - I just don't like repeating sections!
        NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Hi Larry, Ghandi and Charles-

I hope you had a good holiday weekend. Sorry for the slow response. I've been working feverishly on this application.

Anyway, the way I solved my issue was to add 8 "description" fields to the SQL Server database record (8 was more than they'd ever need). Then, I used buttons and "show/hide" expressions to let the user add or delete the description lines (just as they would with a repeating section). OK, don't be mad at me! I know this adds/bloats the database size, but it actually addressed all of the things I was trying to accomplish (including making it easier to edit a quote if their customer has changes).

To show you (and anyone else who's trying to accomplish something similar) a created a short video that shows how it's working. You can view it here: https://www.screencast.com/t/xWkkb6s8.

I showed it to my customers and they were delighted, as it did everything they hoped it would do.

I can't thank you enough for your guidance and suggestions. You definitely enhanced my skills.

With appreciation,
          Phil

Comment

Repeating sections cannot be nested. But if you are trying to model parent-child-grandchild data (which is what a nested repeating section would be showing), you can use List controls with Detail views. You can define a parent-child relationship between the Lists. This will allow you to model parent-child-grandchild data structurres.

Comment

Thanks Selwyn! I'll have to try it. I'm very weak on List Controls and Viewboxes. I haven't figured out how to incorporate them into my applications and when to use them. I know they're very powerful, but, when I tried to use List Boxes instead of embedded grids, etc., I couldn't get it to work the way I wanted, so I took the "coward's way out" and went back to what I can do well. I have to make some time to learn more about List Boxes... is there a comprehensive video that shows off most of the features?

I appreciate all your help and the great work you and your team are doing.

Phil

Comment

there is an extensive collection of videos on the List control

if you go to help/video finder and search for 'list' you will find many video.

if you want to focus on lists with detail views, here is a good entry point to the documentation

https://www.alphasoftware.com/docume...20applications
                Last edited by Sarah Mitchell; 04-21-2017, 12:36 PM. Reason: fixed url to go to correct location

Comment

Working...
                X