Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Commercial bootstrap based admin templates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commercial bootstrap based admin templates

Referring f.ex. to this commercially available bootstrap based admin template:
    http://keenthemes.com/preview/metronic/

... What are the challenges/limitations that must be foreseen if one wanna use the latest version of Alpha Anywhere to build a mobile and browser based application, and with the UI -design, -structure and -functionality from one of the very nice and yet very cheap bootstrap based templates that exists out there...?

In order to provide all the UI functionality, incl. all the "responsiveness"-functionality, most of these bootstrap templates relies alot on CSS and on Javascript running client side. Perhaps they also reference JQuery libraries...?

I am still in the phase of deciding whether to use Alpha Anywhere and which approach/plan to follow, and hence new to everything... I do know that the Alpha Anywhere platform also uses alot of Javascript running client side, to handle the integrated communication between client and server and to make the Alpha components automate the "client side" to "server side" communication.

Will both the JavaScript from the UI template and the Javascript from the Alpha platform be able to function and run in a robust manner side by side?

How about incompatibilities between the CSS that comes with the template and the CSS used for the Alpha components ? What are the challenges here ?

Some of the things that should work are:
    • User authentication controlled by Alpha: This would involve a login/register link as part of the UI. And following after login, the UI should integrate the username/picture and a logout-link the upper corner. Hence doing all the "Alpha stuff" in iFrames wont be good enough. Alpha must control everything around the application, and present it based on integrated UI functionality from the template.
    • Lists/Tables/grids: Of course it would be nice to use native Alpha components for this. The template comes with designs for lists, tables and grids. Can the Alpha components be tailored to have the same look that comes from the template design ? Is this just a matter of using template CSS on the Alpha CSS ? Or can/should it be done the other way round - ie. Alpha functionality merged into the lists, tables and grids that comes with the template?
    • Offline functionality: Being also one of the Alpha platforms strengths, when dealing with data handling and manipulation, the offline functionality should be maintained even when the template design is used. Does this entail a specifik approach to merging template design with ALpha component functionality ?

Looking forward to hear about insights and experiences, and to an interesting discussion going forward. And then of course to get much deeper into using Alpha Anywhere.

Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by jakobankerhansen; 04-22-2017, 01:46 PM.

Re: Commercial bootstrap based admin templates

The trick is picking and choosing what you want to keep in the theme and what you can throw away. Then, carefully deleting what you don't want. And then, following the .a5w page example, placing your Alpha components inside the theme.

You'll need to "convert" the jQuery code used in the theme with the Alpha jQueryMakeSafe utility. This basically changes the "$" used in the jQuery libs to "jQuery" so that it doesn't interfere with Alpha.

CSS should behave itself... not run into issues there. But if you want Alpha components to look like your theme, then you'll need to pick a style in Alpha and make changes to it to match your theme.

You'll want to use Alpha components... that's where the power is. If you don't use Alpha components... then I'd have to ask why bother with Alpha at all.

Once you're working with an Alpha component, then it's functionality it outside of your theme. The component will do whatever it's meant to do... no interference from the theme.

It's all a bit of work, but can produce outstanding looking results.

Comment

Here is a template bought from wrapbootstrap.

I think it was $4 for 300 templates like this.

Layout_47.a5wcmp

Now although some of the templates require bootstrap this one does not.

I think it is #47 in this package. http://wrapbootstrap.com/preview/WB0DDL006

I am fairly sure it is available in this template too. http://wrapbootstrap.com/preview/WB0L06586

Michael

Comment

... Thank you David, this was exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for. Bootstrap based templates together with Alpha Anywhere looks like a winning combination then. I will continue my activities along this path - and look forward to it :-)

Most of the templates recommends to load the JavaScript references, necessary for the templates to work, at the bottom of the page, to not delay the "fast page load impression". From earlier threads on this forum, I have seen people explain, that it was necessary to move the JavaScript references to the top of the page, because they would otherwise not work. Is this still the case, and what is the experience you have about speed consequences to "page load impression"?

Michael: The template you point at look good. It is always good with a nice toolbox with components that can come in handy. Thanks!

Comment

It depends, at bit, on the template, what else you're loading... generally what's going on. Sometimes I've had to move some references. I usually leave them where the originally are, and if I get loading errors I'll start moving just those references to the top.

Comment

Glad that it is not always necessary to move JavaScript references to the top... But do you know the reason behind why this can sometimes be necessary ? Is it because of syntax-errors in the code that prevents continued loading later in the page...? Or is it because of duplicate names...? If the template components then start to work, will this then prevent the Alpha framework to not work...?

This kind of thing makes me worried and makes me remember past experiences with weak technologies.

Comment

I think it's just a simple matter of code needing a library that's not yet loaded. If code runs in a page that requires a library... and that library isn't loaded until the end of a page... then you've got problems... so move that library to the top.

Comment

This makes sense. Thanks a lot again.

Comment

I use Bootstrap and similar to gain responsive pages and navigation. Can you point to a Bootstrap template you like.
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

I think the template I link to at the top, looks especially nice.

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                    I use Bootstrap and similar to gain responsive pages and navigation. Can you point to a Bootstrap template you like.

Comment

So back on this. I devised a reasonably simple method to apply any Bootstrap css template to Alpha apps, without modifying the Alpha style sheet.

But I have a question. You do know that 99.9% of the Bootstrap css does not apply to Grid or UX, but are general UI that you would manually apply to an A5W page. In those cases you would be doing the same work that any developer using PHP or would do, except you would use an A5W page and use xbasic to grab data from the database. The parts that apply to our data components are the relatively few controls like TextBox, TextArea, DropDownBox, CheckBox, etc.

Looking specifically at the metronic Admin templates (first post, see here), as one example, the nifty sidebar navigation - there is nothing in Alpha that would automatically build that navigation using static data or a database. So you would have to again manually add xbasic to where you wanted that navigation to appear, or create a user defined function that did so.

I could build out any of the Metronic templates in Alpha (except maybe the fancy graphs) because most of the template is going to come right out of the box, and I know how to use the Grid System and I could build the navigation based on something I have already built*.

Besides the UI, the next biggest feature of Bootstrap is the Grid System, which allows you to design a 'responsive' web application. You can apply that grid system to your A5W pages pretty easily, and you can apply it to the Alpha Grid with a bit of work using Freeform Layout. The Alpha UX has a feature called Responsive Layout Settings which you can use to make the UX responsive.

To use any of these Bootstrap templates will require a good knowledge of css, grid system, and html and so study how Bootstrap uses container classes, etc.

*If you want to see a responsive navigation in an Alpha application, that is also tied to a database, see here. Look at the main navigation it in a normal browser, and then in a mobile device. The navigation minimizes on a mobile device, upper right. The navigation nodes all come from a database, and it is applied using a user defined function. So on the A5W page it is just a function call like this: wt_menu([menu name"]). I never use the Alpha "Navigation Component" because it is impossible to use on a smaller device.

While at this site, notice that when you go from a normal browser to a smaller device, some images and whole sections disappear. This is also based on css using "media queries"; another thing you would need to understand if you were to build a website that works well on a larger and smaller screen.
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

To add to Steve's excellent answer.

I think the way go with Alpha is to split the CSS.

CSS.png

The input controls that are "joined" to the database do not style in the same way as Tables and input controls in "raw" Html. To gain the sort of flexibility that is shown in Bootstrap templates you will need multiple grid styles. Independent of that you also need multiple Tabbed UI's and then yet again multiple input controls that do not support sub themes. Having achieved all of this you will probably require multiple sub themes.

I enclose a picture of a semi-responsive layout.

Ashobiz template..png

Ashobiz smaller.png

These pictures show 4 simple templates displayed on an Alpha page. The templates were purchased from Wrapbootstrap but these 4 do not rely on Bootstrap CSS.

Comment

For those of you who are interested in the raw CSS and Html here, it is. Please go to Wrapbootstrap and buy a license if you want to use this guy's work. There are 200 components for $9

Selwyn.a5wcmp

https://wrapbootstrap.com/theme/asho...ents-WB0DDL006

Comment

Michael....I downloaded the components from Wrapbootstrap and they are easy to implement. But, do you know how to incorporate these in other controls.....such as a button.

Comment

Sorry I have not completely understood.

Comment

Working...
                              X