Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Philosophical Question: Panels or Containers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philosophical Question: Panels or Containers?

Just generically speaking, is there some reason not to use containers rather than panels in a mobile device? IOW's you might have one panel w. a bunch of containers and just use a hidden field to set the active container (programmatically).
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Re: Philosophical Question: Panels or Containers?

I just find panels have a lot more built in features/behaviors that you would have to code into containers.

I've been using panels more in desktop along with mobile.

Tom

Comment

Can you give me an example or two?
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Hi Peter,

I now build almost all my main UX components with panels, mostly three panels left to right with icons that pull out side panels.

The image ending in 21 shows a screen shot of an entry screen for time/project tracking.

It uses a combination of panels for left to right and top to bottom along with containers in the panels.

The tricky part on this UX was how to populate seven list controls from one callback. Otherwise it took way too long.

The icons on the left and right have pull-outs that when clicked open side panels, similar to windows, that allow for additional entry or features.

The other two examples are three panels side by side. In the one example that shows no data (couldn't show anything as it's all confidential) these are again three panels left to right. But here the panels have been designed so the UX works both on desktop, where you see the three panels, and on a mobile device where you see only one panel but you can navigate to the others to complete the actions. That is the image called "mobile", the same UX as the image name ending in 36.

Hope this is helpful.

Tom
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for your effort, Tom. It makes sense for what you are doing. I was just trying to think outside the box where in my case the app will only be used on a phone and thought that using containers might simplify things.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

If I didn't want to use Panels for some reason, then I'd use a ControlBar with Disclosures and Injectible Content Containers. It works and looks great.

Comment

Thanks David. My client is using an older version of A5 - just before the controlbars were introduced. Anyway, he has elected to go with panels. My interest in containers was highly motivated before I found the {dialog.object}.panelGetActive([ UXPanelName ]) method that Tom B. pointed out to me in another thread.
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Of course. You should probably include the target Alpha release version and build being used for these types of questions given that your version is at least 7 months old. Lotsa great stuff going into Alpha releases.

Comment

I suppose. But client is king and Alpha is expensive.
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Sorry... that wasn't actually what I meant. If you post your target version then suggestions can be made for that version.

Comment

One other advantage of panels is the ability to get height to 100% with little effort.

We mix both, both are available in the responsive layout settings.

Comment

Working...
                      X