Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Connection between DB and Phone when deploying with phonegap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connection between DB and Phone when deploying with phonegap?

So I made a simple mobile app that pulls from an access DB (one of the example ones in the alpha install folder), and then deployed it to my personal phone using phone gap.

Now, I think its something on my end regarding how I'm using (or, lack-there-of) the alpha server after the app is deployed. How would I go about having my app connect to the DB on my computer?

Thanks

Re: Connection between DB and Phone when deploying with phonegap?

On your computer? Not easily done. You could open up ports, spend days mucking about with your router etc. and expose your PC to the nasty world... but this isn't normally how it's done.

If you're running an Alpha server, e.g. under ZebraHost, then you'd publish your app to your Alpha Server and specify your Ajax CallBack URL in the PhoneGap Build Builder. Your UX would then make a callback to your server, and your server communicates with your Access DB.

As well, if you can move off Access, you'd be better off. MySQL and SQL Server are both free and are well worth the time and tech.

Comment

Ah ok, thank you for the help. I have another test DB in MYSQL I was using earlier, i'll switch back to that one.

So what I should be doing then, is publish to Alpha server, and then specify the AJAX Callback to that server address when building the phone gap project?

Comment

Right... in the PhoneGap Build Builder, URL For All Ajax Callbacks... specify the full URL address... port, published folder. If you were publishing to a folder name "MyApp" (which you'd find under A5Webroot of your server) and your server is running on port 81 your URL would be...

Code:
        http://111.111.111.111:81/MyApp
        Using port 80, you don't need to specify the port. And it's either http or https depending on your setup.

If you're using Security, remember to set the security of your UX to Always Allowed... and then publish it to your server.

Have a look at the in-line doc found in the URL For All Ajax Callbacks dialog... "Help understand more about this property"... good stuff.

Comment

David,
          Question on the format. To go to web app that is running now I use this: https://ssl.companyname.com:5555/ which loads the index page. Are you saying I need to add a folder name to that as well?
          Mike
          Mike Reed
          Phoenix, AZ

Comment

I have a related question about to the database that I don't understand. I added a login section my phonegap app, but I can't seem to get it to login. Perhaps it is related to this url setting. I built the login as shown in wiki, but I can't get it to what. Can someone tell me what to look for or steps I can follow?

Thanks,
            Mike Reed
            Phoenix, AZ

Comment

So you're using the UX Integrated Login? And your UX security is set to Always Allowed? And your Security Table Type is set to SQL Database?

Comment

David, Thank you for your response.

Yes I am trying to the UX Integrated Login.
                I don't quite understand the other questions. Are you saying the UX component needs to have the security set Always Allowed even though it is wrapped in Phonegap? But to answer your question, not yet, but it soon will be.
                We are using MySQL for the security, but I don't know about the Security Table Type. Where do I find that setting?
                Mike Reed
                Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Yes... Security for the UX, and any Embedded Components, must be set to Always Allowed. The UX afterLogin event directs what happens after the user logs in... e.g. go to a specific PanelCard.

Because you're working with PGB, the rendered PGB Client-side UX communicates with the published Server UX. It must be able to communicate with the UX on the server and so security must be set to Always Allowed.

In the Web Projects Control Panel, click on Web Security in the Menu, and then Web Security Configuration. Security Table Type is in the Security Policy tab.

Comment

Ok, so if I understand you correctly. I need to publish the UX component which within an a5w page and that a5w page needs to have Always Allowed set. Am I correct? And yes the Security Table is SQL. I didn't understand, its been too long ago since I set that up, I didn't remember.
                    Mike Reed
                    Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Nope. You're working with PGB. So... there is no a5w page involved. Very simply ('cause there's a lot of other stuff going on) your UX is bundled up and sent off to PGB. Your app runs and your UX is rendered. Your Client-side UX communicates (via the URL For All AJAX Callbacks) with it's Server-side counterpart... the UX... only the UX... with security set to Always Allowed.

With PGB, we talk directly to the published UX... not through an a5w page.

Comment

David, again thank you.

Mike
                        Mike Reed
                        Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
                          Right... in the PhoneGap Build Builder, URL For All Ajax Callbacks... specify the full URL address... port, published folder. If you were publishing to a folder name "MyApp" (which you'd find under A5Webroot of your server) and your server is running on port 81 your URL would be...

Code:
                          http://111.111.111.111:81/MyApp
                          Using port 80, you don't need to specify the port. And it's either http or https depending on your setup.

If you're using Security, remember to set the security of your UX to Always Allowed... and then publish it to your server.

Have a look at the in-line doc found in the URL For All Ajax Callbacks dialog... "Help understand more about this property"... good stuff.
                          Hi David,

I've been trying to get this work today, and with no luck. I publish my UX component to a local directory in my C:/ drive, which connects to a named DB string. I then point the AJAX callback at my machines IP, the port, and then the folder its being published to, but I still get an internal database error whenever I load the .apk file. Am I missing something? The device I'm running on is connected to the same local network as my computer

Thanks,
                          Jan

Comment

I publish my UX component to a local directory in my C:/ drive is too vague. Is your UX published to c:\A5Webroot\[yourPublishingFolderName] ?

Where is your AlphaDAO Connection String pointing?
                            Last edited by Davidk; 06-01-2017, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Yes thats where the UX is published to, and the connection string is pointing to the northwind.mdb file in the alpha install folder.

Comment

Working...
                              X