Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Validation error remains in detail, but shows correctly in list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Validation error remains in detail, but shows correctly in list

I have a ux with a list and detail view. One of the fields is phone.
    I have set up a validation rule in the detail properties for the phone field (client side and server side). I prevent duplicate phone numbers from being entered.
    When a user tries to enter a phone number that already exist and hits save, the field turns red and an error message is visible.
    The record will not save and the corners in the list light up yellow and red.

Now for my problem ....
    When the user corrects the duplicate phone number issue and hits save, the record saves, the list updates showing the corrected phone number, the detail phone field shows the corrected phone number, but the detail phone field flickers and the red error remains.

The user can make the error go away by clicking in any detail field, then tabbing out of that field or by clicking on any row in the list.

If I change the validation rule from occurring (change client side and server side) to (client side only) then there is no detail field errors of any kind, the record will not save and the corners in the list light up yellow and red.

I feel fairly confident I have a made a mistake with a setting.

I do have a UX that runs on an iPad with the same validation rules and runs correctly

Thanks
    Tony

Re: Validation error remains in detail, but shows correctly in list

This is a timing issue. You mentioned that you "Save" the List Detail... but I'm guessing that you're "Saving" and "Syncing" at the same time... is that right? That's why your List notifications are yellow and red... save and sync.

You hit your "save and sync" button... and the List Detail saves to the List... now a sync is trying to take place... but... you've got Server-side validation going on with a Validation Rule... your Cross-file Validation. Again... you've not specifically said you're doing this... so it's a guess.

So... an Ajax Callback is being made to validate data... and the List is trying to Sync... and... there's just too much going on. Part of the problem is that you're correcting the Phone number and clicking directly on the save and sync button. Tabbing out of the Phone field isn't getting enough time to run the validation before other stuff starts.

You should report this to Alpha so that it can be adjusted. For now, you can wrap your save and sync code is a setTimeout...

Code:
    setTimeout(function(){

var lObj = {dialog.object}.getControl('LISTCUST');
    	lObj.updateListFromUXControls();
    	{dialog.object}.saveListEdits('LISTCUST',{rows: 'allRows'});

},500);
    The Phone control tab out is a result of clicking on the save and sync button. Adding a bit of time delay to save and sync will give that resulting tab out enough time to complete.
    Last edited by Davidk; 09-20-2017, 09:56 PM.

Comment

David
      Yes, I do save and sync with one button.
      I will try the timeout
      Thanks!
      Tony

Comment

David
        I have tried the setTimeout idea and it works, but somewhat erratically. When I repeatedly enter existing and not existing numbers in the same record for testing, record will not save/sync and error remains
        Looks like it may still be a save/sync timing issue.
        It always works as it should the first time in a record, when an existing number is entered, save/sync and error appears, then correcting with non existing number - save/sync, error disappears.
        iPad still works perfectly ..... I'll will try to compare all settings and see what is different.
        Thanks
        Tony

Comment

setTimeouts are a bit like patches... you'd need to play with the timing to get things right... particularly since you're dealing with callbacks. You never know how much time a callback will take to complete and get back to the client. I'd set the time to 4000... 4 seconds... a very long time... and test it. It should always work. Then reduce the time until you're comfortable that it won't fail. You can always put up a message that data is being verified... and take that message down with the sync occurs.

I've been trying to work with some of the client-side events for validation, errors, etc... but can't quite find a good pattern.

I'm not happy with this, but it's the cleanest and closest I can get.

In client-side onRenderComplete...
          Code:
          {dialog.object}.stateInfo['hasErrors'] = false;
          In client-side afterValidate...
          Code:
          if(e.hasErrors){
          	{dialog.object}.stateInfo['hasErrors'] = true;
          }else{
          	{dialog.object}.stateInfo['hasErrors'] = false;
          }
          In your Save&Sync button...
          Code:
          setTimeout(function(){
          	if(	{dialog.object}.stateInfo['hasErrors']){
          		return;
          	}else{
          		var lObj = {dialog.object}.getControl('LISTCUST');
          		lObj.updateListFromUXControls();
          		{dialog.object}.saveListEdits('LISTCUST',{rows: 'allRows'});
          	}
          },1000);
          If there is validation going on... and there is an error... then the List update and sync code will not run.
          If there is validation going on... and there are no errors... then the List update and sync will take place.
          If there is no validation going on, then the List update and sync will take place.

This is not much different than using just a setTimeout in Save&Sync... except with just the setTimeout a Save&Sync always happens and you get both the field error and the List error showing.
          Last edited by Davidk; 09-21-2017, 01:15 PM.

Comment

David
            Great, I will definitely give this a try this weekend
            Thanks
            Tony

Comment

Working...
            X