Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

UX Charts not displaying after Alpha Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UX Charts not displaying after Alpha Upgrade

My client is running an older version of Alpha (Still V12, but older).

They are installing to a new server and wanted to update to the latest and greatest. However, when they do so, their UX charts are no longer displaying.

After some testing, we discovered that the latest release of Alpha they can use is the 5/13/16 release. (I told you it was old!)

If they move to the 5/26/16 release (12.4.1 Build 3633.) the charts stop displaying. They tested other later versions also - none of them work. If they downgrade to their old version, all works fine.

The symptom is that the charts are completely blank. There are no errors displayed, there are no javascript errors showing up in the console. The image for the chart is where it is supposed to be, but the image is blank instead of having the chart in it.

These are standard UX charts being populated with a combination of xbasic and javascript.

I looked in the release notes for that version and don't see anything that relates to charts. It was just formview and phonegap fixes.

Everything else appears to work fine - even charts that are embedded in reports. It is only charts that are controls on a UX that seem to be affected.

Any suggestions where I should look to find the issue?

Re: UX Charts not displaying after Alpha Upgrade

Can you post a sample UX showing this issue?

At some point Alpha started loading google libraries as needed. Is it possible something is being doubled up?

What kind of charts are they?
    Last edited by Davidk; 11-30-2017, 05:05 PM.

Comment

The application uses Sybase SQL Anywhere for it's back-end database.

The charts are part of a larger UX displaying a variety of dashboard items.

If it comes down to it, I can break out just the chart into a separate UX, but that doesn't fix the back-end issue.

I can also try recreating the chart from scratch in the newer version to see if it's simply missing something.

Now that I think of it, I didn't try recalculating all controls on the component after doing the upgrade. Might be worth a try...

Comment

recalculating didn't help.

The client is sending me a full copy of the application. If I can come up with a small test UX that shows the issue, I'll put it up here. (Or I'll just send it to Selwyn ...)

Comment

New server maybe new Ip adress..... Does your client need an google api key and has he one? (existing applications on old ip adresses keep working even without key if needed if i recollect correct).
          Ger Kurvers
          Alpha Anywhere / V4.6.1.9- Build 6488 (production) / V4.6.5.1 - 8722-5683(testing)
          Development: Mysql, windows 10 64 Applicationserver: standard on Windows server 2019

Comment

This is a standard, built-in, UX chart control running off a data-series. We are not using Google and don't even have a Google api for anything in this system.

If we use the 5/13/16 release, it works. If we upgrade to anything after that, it doesn't work.

It doesn't have anything to do with the IP address. It fails the same in development mode and on the server.

Comment

I suppose a bug report might be in order?
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Working toward that, but when I send a bug report I like to send an example with it and I'm not to that point yet.

The customer sent me the most updated version of their code and db. I'm going to try recreating the charts from scratch in a separate UX over the weekend.

I'm also going to try setting the chart to static data. Right now it's running off Sybase, so it won't be easy for Selwyn to test.

I was really hoping someone else was using these charts and had the same issue (only a year ago!), but I guess not!

Comment

You're right. Bug reports with an example can be a bear.
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                  https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

When the client is setting up for their testing, they are installing 3633, for example, on their server and then re-publishing their components from Alpha Development Release 3633?

Comment

Note: I built an app for my customer a few years ago. They run the app I built on several servers for several of their clients. Each is licensed. Though they have licenses, they have not updated Alpha since the final release of the product (in 2016) and they have not made a lot of changes to the software. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? I have not even heard from them in over a year - so the product generally works well.

Jump to the present:

My customer got a new client that wants to run this software. They figured - as long as we are installing new, let's get the latest of everything!

So, they upgraded themselves to the latest release of Alpha, then installed that release on the server, just assuming all would be fine.

When they tested on the server, everything worked except those charts.

Then they tested them on their developer machine and it didn't work there either.

So I got a phone call ...

We tried a few things and I convinced them to try a downgrade. After the downgrade on the development machine and the server all worked fine again. At that point, getting the customer up and running was important, so we let they customer start working while we took testing local.

So they installed one update at a time on their developer machine until it broke. We were hoping there would be something in the release notes of that version to give us a hint as to what is wrong, but it didn't work out that way.

We also try the things discussed in posts above.

At this point they have given me back all of the code (my copy is 2 year's old) and a copy of the DB so I can continue testing to see if I can fix the issue for them so they can upgrade everybody to the same, current version.

I am going to try to setup a sample UX, but I'm also going to try out the latest Javascript Charts to see if I can just replace the old UX charts instead.

And that is the story to date.

Comment

Working...
                      X