Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to undo offline edits to a list that cannot be synchronized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to undo offline edits to a list that cannot be synchronized

Sometimes because of database constraints offline edits to a list cannot be synchronized.
    What would be the best practice to remove specific unsynchronized edits to a list or child list? (without loosing edits to a list that can be synchronized)?

Any help is welcome
    Ger Kurvers
    Alpha Anywhere / V4.6.1.9- Build 6488 (production) / V4.6.5.1 - 8722-5683(testing)
    Development: Mysql, windows 10 64 Applicationserver: standard on Windows server 2019

Re: How to undo offline edits to a list that cannot be synchronized

Many reads, no comments...
    So it seems I should provide more information.

Setting: Parent List and some child lists are update through formviews and editors. Customers and contacts of customers for example
    I would like to allow multiple edits before synchronizing the parent list with the server

One of the possibilities is deleting a record in the parent list. When synchronizing to the server a database constraint can forbid that because the customers have invoice records.
    I see that than also the other edits to list are not synchronized to the server.

How can I than remove the delete action from the list, without losing other edits to the list?

I can of course synchronize each and every edit to the list as soon as it happens, but by that you loose the advantage of working disconnected and is far less efficient.
    Ger Kurvers
    Alpha Anywhere / V4.6.1.9- Build 6488 (production) / V4.6.5.1 - 8722-5683(testing)
    Development: Mysql, windows 10 64 Applicationserver: standard on Windows server 2019

Comment

Originally posted by cptutrecht View Post
      Many reads, no comments...
      So it seems I should provide more information.

Setting: Parent List and some child lists are update through formviews and editors. Customers and contacts of customers for example
      I would like to allow multiple edits before synchronizing the parent list with the server

One of the possibilities is deleting a record in the parent list. When synchronizing to the server a database constraint can forbid that because the customers have invoice records.
      I see that than also the other edits to list are not synchronized to the server.

How can I than remove the delete action from the list, without losing other edits to the list?

I can of course synchronize each and every edit to the list as soon as it happens, but by that you loose the advantage of working disconnected and is far less efficient.
      First ask Selwyn how data is stored on the [ offline] client by example only memory or client db (slave) like pouchdb perhaps websql or indexeddb then u know more

Comment

Perhaps good to know that I use the local storage option in the component (not working with Phonegap).
        Ger Kurvers

Comment

I don't use AA for Web stuff, strictly Alpha DeskTop, however in the aplication I use, Web and Mobile would have the same update constraints.
          So, if you have a restriction under what conditions and when a field can be updated, I would add it to the mobile storage ( like sqlite or similar).
          If restrictions are in place, they should probably be Global.
          See our Hybrid Option here;
          https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
          You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, you are right, of course the restrictions are Global.

But I estimate that our application / data is too big to store all data with possible contraints also on the mobile device (without performance issues). Anyway it would make implementing real disconnected operation a lot more complicated than intended by AA I guess.

The 'mobile' part of the application is only a subset of the webapplication (which doesn't need to be working disconnected), but it can encounter most of the constraints.
            For CRU operations I don't see problems until now, javacript validation and working with the listcontrol editor can prevent problems. Maybe I should not implement Deletes (but it is a little bit silly not to allow a user deleting an entity which he just created (perhaps by mistake) on the mobile device.

Easy would be to be able, if a contraint prevents updating, to catch that at the client and take appropriate action (in this case just remove that specific edit from the list at the right time).
            Ger Kurvers

Comment

Perhaps good to know that I use the local storage option in the component (not working with Phonegap).
              Local storage with PhoneGap does work. Suggest you build a very simple test case and try it.

BTW: Alpha lets you address SQL-Lite on the device which allows much greater storage than local storage.
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

You might also only allow data which CAN be managed to show on the Mobile Device.
                Some records are cast in stone(ish) while on the road, while others - like appointments - are changeable.
                If a user enters a data item on the mobile device but does so in error, you are stuffed as you don't know if it really is an error.

In the Health Care sector this problem is evident, so we have "sweeper" programmes to identify inconsistencies and get the user to sort it out when on line.

I admit to being of the opinion that only the most limited processing should go on with mobile devices. Mainly lookups.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                  Local storage with PhoneGap does work. Suggest you build a very simple test case and try it.

BTW: Alpha lets you address SQL-Lite on the device which allows much greater storage than local storage.
                  Hi Peter, sorry my post was ambiguos: I ment: I am not using Phonegap, so I use local storage (and not the filesystem).
                  Ger Kurvers

Comment

Sorry Ger. I misunderstood.
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Local storage? Interesting!
                      Sim, Device or SD Card.
                      You test for these?

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
                        Local storage? Interesting!
                        Sim, Device or SD Card.
                        You test for these?
                        It is new realm for me too. But I understood that local storage means the storage space in the browsermemory itself.
                        Ger Kurvers

Comment

But I understood that local storage means the storage space in the browsermemory itself.
                          That's how I understand it as well.
                          Peter
                          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

You can programmatically remove individual flags. You can also programmatically do sync and step through records individually. You can also direct the user to only sync one parent at a time, which would sync sub records along with it.

Comment

Originally posted by WebDesignShop View Post
                              You can programmatically remove individual flags. You can also programmatically do sync and step through records individually. You can also direct the user to only sync one parent at a time, which would sync sub records along with it.
                              or combine is by example on a sqlserver as master and use sqllitw remote then Sync AA ca handle that

Comment

Working...
                              X