Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Runtime Patches on Shadowed Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Runtime Patches on Shadowed Machines

I am having a problem installing Runtime Patches on machines that are shadowed. After upgrading the Runtime package and restarting the PCs they are no longer recognised as being a shadow i.e. a5.Get_Master_Name() and a5.Get_Master_Path() return a blank value.
    Is it necessary to regen the shadow after each patch update? I hope not as this will require a vast amount of manual updating. This occurred with the latest update 5028-5088 as well as the previous version.
    Perhaps there is something that I am missing.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Runtime Patches on Shadowd Machines

Do you mean installing a more recent (or different) version of Alpha Runtime on each workstation?
    Or are you referring to an actual patch for the workstation?

Normally, you update the database (not the runtime version) by applying changes to the main app on the server and incrementing the application version number. The next time they open the database, the workstation will automatically re-optimize the workstation.
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    [email protected]

Comment

Except that the runtime version must match the developer version. So if he has a patch for one, then there should be a patch for the other.
      Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

The problem is as follows:
        I have runtime users who are all accessing the database through the shadow mechanism and each workstation has the runtime version 12.0 Build 4770 Addin 5018 installed that functions correctly.
        I am now trying to install the new version 12.0 Build 5028 Addin 5088 but this is causing a problem with the shadowing as the function a5.Get_Master_Name() incorrectly returns a blank value which indicates that the database is not shadowed.
        After the installation I also regenerated the shadow using the network optimisation function but the shadow was still not being recognised.
        There appears to be an error in the runtime_patch for 4770-5018.

Comment

go back to an earlier build
          with desktop only databases, if you have a build that works, there is no reason to install a new build - there are no changes in the desktop
          Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
          972 524 8714
          [email protected]

Comment

But there is seemingly an error in the most recent build and as I have an integrated database setup whereby I have desktop and server access to the database I naturally wish to keep up to date with the latest build.
            I know that this is a forum for alpha users but is there a way of feeding such info back to the alpha development team? I would at least like to have confirmation that this is an error which will eventually be corrected.

Comment

From the control panel, select Help->Send a Bug Report
              Alpha 5 Version 11
              AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
              DBF's and MySql
              Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

A fix for this problem is in the next patch.

Comment

Any idea in which patch it broke?
                  Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Have found on V12/AA the version for dev and RT are not so critical as they were if using basics for the original design. It seems I can run v8 apps just fine with v12 runtime, but I do not use advanced methods in the apps. No WOD at all.
                    The issue above would seem the shadowing capability is being lost in newer builds. Suggest going back to an earlier build and see if that is truly the problem. Then send a bug report. I see updates where there is another one in a matter of a few days which I figure they caught an error they made and quickly came with another one. Just beware of the very latest.

Currently on build 3670 here and it is fine. If they ever relax their pricing just a little, I may move on up some.
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Re: Runtime Patches on Shadowed Machines

The error was in Patch 5028_5088. I reported this to alpha and they informed me that the error wil be corrected in the following patch which I believe is now available.

Comment

Does anyone know if this has been fixed? I have v4.5.2, Build 4770. My automatic shadow updates corrupts the shadow leaving the application unusable..
                        Alpha 5 Version 11
                        DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Hi Ronald.....I am on the same build as you and I am having the same problem. Quite maddening as I am spending a lot of time going to every workstation - manually refreshing the shadow to get my updates flowing at the customer. After seeing this thread, I am going to roll back a couple of versions and see if things begin to act normal again. I was just getting ready to roll out a batch file that would copy a "master shadow" to the local (overwriting the local) every time a user tried to start my program before I checked here and saw this thread. I will report back if I can make any progress that might be helpful to others.

Comment

Received this response for Alpha Software:

"please type the current pre-release build.
                            we have fixed a lot of bugs relating to shadow databases for the next release.
                            these bugs were introduced because we made massive changes internally to get rid of our dependence on MFC.

MFC is Microsoft Foundation Classes -- it is a very old Microsoft class library that was populate some time ago,
                            but it was holding us back from moving to new versions of Visual Studio that no longer supported MFC

the next release should be soon"
                            Alpha 5 Version 11
                            DBF's and MySql

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Thanks Ronald....I hope it is soon! :):)

Comment

Working...
                              X