Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

AA Desktop and EU GDPR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA Desktop and EU GDPR

I wonder what is the situation of DBF and GDPR Compliance. Because of the sanctions and liabilities (by GDPR) I think there are now new and big risks to use dbf when handling personal or sensitive data.

The problem here is that does a developer have resources to show that dbf fills GDPR requirements for secure database.

After May 25, 2018 this is a reality and developer has to be sure with this problem.

Re: AA Desktop and EU GDPR

GDPR is more about housekeeping than specific technologies.
    The ability to encrypt dbf tables exists within Alpha should a user/client feel it necessary.
    If encryption is used are dbf tables any less secure than SQL ?
    Bob Whitaker

Comment

I think this question is far from simple.

Microsoft has made a good document addressing GDPR requirements with the Microsoft SQL platform.

Comment

@kkfin: GDPR requires you to DO a bunch of stuff. As I see it now I see no limitations in AA as of now for you to comply with any of those.
        So, where exactly are your doubts? What do you doubt can be done with AA to comply to GDPR requirements?

Comment

These are the categories
          - Managing access and controlling how data is used and accessed
          - Protecting personal data against security threats
          - Reporting on data protecting policies and reviewing regularity

Of course I can do something in all these categories but to convince somebody that it is enough and done right is an other question. Do I even want to do something. Better to use something that has this all ready for use and is widely accepted.

The sanctions and liability is just too much for wondering something.

Comment

Yeah, it's not that I don't see your questions, quite on the contrary (I'm CISM myself) but all of those doubts are more or less platform independent. It's what you do with the software to be compliant, not in the tooling you use.
            And yes, the GDPR requirements are fierce, and so are the fines. You have to prove you are compliant in many cases. It's not about "doing something", it's about doing "everything". Privacy by design by default.
            That's not what most of us are brought up with. And that's part of the reason this is necessary to begin with: developers have dropped the ball for years completely disrespecting the privacy of customer data. And if you keep flexing and bending stuff long enough, it will break at some point.

I think you can do it with Alpha. But I agree with you that there is the question: "is it worth it". That's to be determined from case to case if you are the data processor, or data owner. If you are the developer and work for an employer or customer, questions are different. For many, GDPR is seen as business opportunity. A LOT of software needs to be adapted to GDPR BIG TIME.

I speak a lot of organisations that still are not compliant with GDPR. Some even say: "Well, we understood they won't be fining in the first 2 years anyways". They forget, that GDPR already came into affect in 2016. They had 2 years time to get the job done but choose to let it rest till the very last minute and are now looking at whether enforcement is going to be in place or not. You will always have those that bend it too long until it snaps.

If you process or own data from European citizens, you have been fairly warned. Years ago.

I don't think there is software that "takes care of everything" (if I understood you right). Privacy needs to be implemented in the design. In the thinking, in creating the solution. Not as a last minute addition. The awareness needs to be there even before starting the design phase.

Comment

We are now at a crossroads. EU and USA will go separate paths. Eu will have data privacy forced by GDPR. I do not think Alpha will have time and money to do anything regarding GDPR. (This is also true for the Alpha web part of course). So everything is up to EU Alpha developers. I doubt they have time and money.

Time and money do not have many current companies. They have stopped their service for EU customers because of GDPR. Lets see what happens in near future.

Here are just few examples. You can read from the link why:

brentozar.com --NOTE very good article
              whois(maybe)
              unroll.me

GDPR means lot of work and brings sanctions and liabilities...and data privacy but just for EU.

Comment

Well, there is the basic right to employ your civilization (as a country) as you want to (within limits of course). You can choose to make medical attention available to those who pay, and maybe throw some bones at those who can't. You can choose for full medical attention free of charge (Sweden, England). Choices. Life is full of them. Europeans are generally concerned about their privacy, and for good reason. History has taught us lessons about that. Not only history from decades ago but also very recent history. It keeps repeating itself UNTIL you address the problem, which is what the EU is doing. I wished they would be as forthcoming with addressing some other major issues on the table. Again: choices.

Alpha doesn't have to do much about GDPR. The tooling is already there to address the issues. If you want to, you can. For instance, you could have had an audit trail in your Alpha apps decades ago. If you wanted to.
                It's not up to Alpha to decide whether you should, or should not, use the tooling available to comply with GDPR.

You are an entrepreneur within a field of parameters, and you get to decide whether you want to venture within those parameters, or not. This happens all the time. Companies start and close, change markets on a daily basis. But if you want to address EU civilians/consumers as a company, you are bound by the GDPR. And if you accept to work inside that field of parameters, you CAN do so with the current Alpha products. Ask Microsoft what happens when you think you are above EU law. You simply have to make yet another choice as an entrepreneur: do I still want to venture there given what are the pros and cons in terms of cost, effort, revenues, etc ? Do you think a 500 million people market interesting enough for your product/service to engage in, given what it takes?

By the way, I doubt there are many EU Alpha Developers. A handful maybe. Alpha is not widely known here as far as my knowledge goes. If the job-market is a sign: there are exactly zero vacancies for Alpha Developers. That is telling.

Comment

Hi Fred

Where are you based?

Glen
                  Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

I am myself based in the European Union.

Of course, all of us developers are also consumers, and I (like many others) have been struggling with all of those concepts that "have the best in mind for us" related to defending our values, free products, social media, and what not on the one side and the horrendous consequences to our privacy on the other side. There's virtually nothing at this moment that is not stored somewhere, be it where we are, where we came from, whom we called, what we emailed, which pages we visited, and so on, and so on. Virtually everything of our lives is stored somewhere, and that data gets stolen and abused. Whether we have given consent (aware or unaware) or not. I mean: it's time to do something about that if we want that, if we value privacy.

The real question is, whether it will help. Some visionairs already say, that privacy is something that will cease to exist in the near future. Totally. I don't know where all of it is going.

Comment

Well in my direct experience GDPR has ALL of my clients engaged and preparing for the 25th. If nothing else the legislation has raised the profile and therefore awareness of individual privacy.
                      Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

I am myself based in the European Union.
                        Not to pick on you, but that's like me saying "I'm in the Americas".

By the way, I doubt there are many EU Alpha Developers. A handful maybe. Alpha is not widely known here as far as my knowledge goes. If the job-market is a sign: there are exactly zero vacancies for Alpha Developers. That is telling.
                        I guess that's true enough, but no different than lot's of RAD products. How many EU COT developers are there? How many EU Aware IM developers are there? How many EU Iron Speed developers are there? (Remember them? R.I.P.) How many EU Wakanda developers are there? (Remember them? R.I.P.) How many EU LiveCode developers are there? (Hint: I know for a fact that a year ago they had roughly 700 paid subscriptions only, which is a lot smaller than Alpha). How many EU RadZen developers are there? (Hint: 5 or 6 judging by their message board. Okay, maybe a few more than that but not very many). I could go on, but I'm beating a dead horse. You get the idea. Most RAD products have small user bases and most RAD products are unknown to people not using them.
                        Last edited by Peter.Greulich; 05-14-2018, 12:06 AM. Reason: Updated info
                        Peter
                        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

GDPR. I use two products for web sites. Both have issued options to gain acceptance of data usage.
                          There are lots of sites I connected with in the past, who now need my permission to keep sending me stuff. It's all about marketing.
                          My sites are as secure as they can be made given current technology, so on a "best efforts" basis, I suspect it's a lot of hype.
                          But then, we need to consider cyber attacks.
                          My web apps are managed by a very security concious company and I have the necessary firewalls. If it breaks, it breaks.
                          See our Hybrid Option here;
                          https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                          You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

This is a little out of context but GDPR anyway
                            Thanks to EU this is today possible check this. Lightning fast and secure site without any extra surveillance javascript or "important" videos...Good old times..

Comment

FYI:
                              That links is only to the general USA Today site.
                              Peter
                              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Working...
                              X