Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha V12 crash and dramatically slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha V12 crash and dramatically slow

I was busy formatting fields in a mother/child form based on a set when Alpha crashed forcing a restart of the application. On restart Alpha was dramatically slow taking literally minutes to start up and remained slow on accessing the database I was working on before the crash. Trying to open other databases made no difference.

I then opened the database I was working on prior to the crash with V11 and it opened in a flash.

I uninstalled Alpha V12, rebooted and reinstalled. Still the same problem!

Is there perhaps a file that remains after uninstalling that could cause the problem; or maybe a registry entry?

I would appreciate assistance from anyone that can help getting around this problem as my V12 is essentially unusable at the moment.

Regards

Re: Alpha V12 crash and dramatically slow

Not to be a nerd but you should probably report back here with your build number for both the server and the app as well as your os
    Also, I can see where if you are using an external hard drive on a powered usb hub and the powered hub loses power there can be all sorts of wierdness, at least on my system where I have several external hard drives on two different powered hubs.
    I am very particular about whats going on under the hood of my PC and look at my error logs like a blood hound until I figure out what process was hanging and why. Get into your event viewer and look at system logs. I find that often times (over the years) system hangs have little to do with the program that had the hang up or crash - they are just reacting to something else going on.

Last year it was one of my scsi drives in a raid array that was going bad. After the same crash happened 3 times (within a month or so of the time I installed an outdated usb driver) I finally figured out that it was not the driver it was the hard drive. I eliminated it from the array and have not had any problems since. Programs crashing and slow access seem more like a hardware issue (to me) and as I said I would suggest looking at your error logs to see what was actually involved with the crash. If you got one of those famous "Microsoft is looking for solutions" pop up windows - you can bet there's info on the crash in the log files...
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Thank you for responding, Charles. I hear what you say; sorry, I have only just joined the forum.

Thankfully I have managed to get Alpha Anywhere up to speed again.

Using Tune-Up Utilities 2014 I cleaned and defragged the registry, rebooted and wallah!

I am running off an internally powered hard drive.

Comment

Okay so if that fixed your problem, you should still look to see what caused it. It could be as simple as a memory issue, or a browser based issue - either way if a registry cleaner helped once you can almost be assured whatever caused the issue will repeat itself. Its also been my experience in the past ( I used to fix PC's) that most errors like that are browser related, ie something downloaded - and word to the wise don't let your kids use your PC to play minecraft or install mods to the same I have seen two other PC's in my household go wacko due to minecraft related use. Kids tend to click anything ya know. I also used to get guys who would bring me their computers and tell me they didnt know what was wrong and if I find anything objectionable on the computer it was because they let their crazy uncle "borrow" it, lol - ya OK!
        Funny but, stuff happens...

Regardless, I would still check your logs via the event viewer, and carefully review what Tune-Up did to resolve the issue. Glad to hear your good again!
        NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

check the code archive - there are three functions in there to clean the alpha registry at boot up - not sure when they started but they keep a lot of info in their registry about temporary files, and if it gets loaded, the only resort is to clean the registry, or use the three functions
          Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
          972 524 8714
          [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for adding that Martin - I did not know that!

Comment

I have not been to forum for a while, but now have Alpha Anywhere on a desktop with 16g f Ram using Windows 8. Only have windows defender AV. Performance of alpha is shocking. Hangs for long periods.

I am currently in a really poor place for connectivity to the web, and need this to work better as I did not bring my pc with Alpha 11. Any help or ideas would be appreciated
              -----------------------------------------------
              Regards
              Mark Pearson
              [email protected]
              Youtube channel
              Website

Comment

This is the reason I dont want to read this forum because of very frustrating experiences of veterans. But cannot do anything about it, it is the only resource of help, WIKI is yak, google it and you will wont find info except the forum. Hope it will be resolved coz I tried it and I get the same result.

Comment

I am running on Windows 7 Pro with Alpha Version 12.2 Build 4237. I am convinced the problem I experienced came from me renaming some objects in my database and as Martin said earlier, I think a lot of temporary file names were generated in the Alpha registry which resulted in Alpha hanging and slowing to a crawl.

A register clean-up utility will hopefully work for you as well as the utility looks for orphaned files and clears them out. Good luck!

Comment

Ok - I am tsill having issues, but have got some improvement when I turned off windows update. It literally was trying to download and install 600mb of files. If this was happening on all the machines here, it would have created a snail pace across the bandwidth. About 300 people using a satellite pipe.

I also removed unwanted startup files. It seems having I7 processor with 16GB of RAM makes no difference. I will now look at the registry issue
                    Regards
                    Mark Pearson
                    [email protected]
                    Youtube channel
                    Website

Comment

Program performs great now, so I am presuming it was internet speed with downloading windows updates in the background
                      Regards
                      Mark Pearson
                      [email protected]
                      Youtube channel
                      Website

Comment

Here are functions to keep Alpha temporary files clean, and the "Alpha" registry clean.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...n-the-registry
                        972 524 8714
                        [email protected]

Comment

Thank you Martin. Reading the post I am sure this is what I experienced that lead to the crash/slow-down.
                          I will see if it works with V12.

Nice to have Pro's like you helping us battlers!

Comment

Sorry to add to this post long after it was long ago originally started. I'm happy to start a fresh if it suits moderators.

We have just recently experienced this "crash and dramatically slow" on all of our programmers computers. So slow that you could make 10 coffees and come back and it'd still be loading a comp.
                            The Tune-Up Utilities 2014 suggested by Hennie made a world of difference
                            The "Alpha" registry clean suggested by Martinwcole didn't make much of a difference.

We are running Alpha Anywhere Version (Registered): 12 Compiler: Microsoft C Compiler version 1800
                            Build: 3109 (THIS IS A BETA RELEASE OF Alpha Anywhere)
                            Addins: 4542 (THIS IS A BETA RELEASE OF ADDINS)

We are sharing one project in Copy and ensuring one person opens a component at any one time. Not sure if this would make a difference or not.

We haven't experienced it in the past and of late the last couple of changes we have made are
                            -utilisng beta release in alpha (happened about 3-4 days ago)
                            -utilising copy to share project file (happened about 2 weeks ago)

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. My concern is that it may happen again in the future.

Thanks

Comment

I would never use a beta in a production environment. Try going to the most recent non beta release.
                              Are the programmers working on a local copy of the app? or a copy on the server/lan?
                              If something worked Monday, everywhere, and on Tuesday does not work everywhere - obviously, something changed.

If it is common to all users on the network that use Alpha, but not other software that use the server (like Word opening documents on the server) you can bet it is most likely a recent update in your anti-virus/protective software. It could also be a Windows update, but in that case there would be a LOT of users complaining.

If it is common to all users for ALL software that use server, then it is a server related issue.

I would first roll back to a non beta version and test.
                              972 524 8714
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X