Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Begin and End dates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Begin and End dates

Hi Gang and Alpha

I had to switch to v12 to get maps problem corrected. I now have come across this.

I have a schedule report which uses the following.

Sched->date >= Var->Begin_Date .AND. Sched->date <= Var->End_date

In v11, if I wanted to print the schedule for a specific day (say March 12/14), the begin date would be March 12/14 and the end date would be March 12/14.

In v11 this works fine.

in v12 it prints a blank report.

In order to print the March 12/14 report, I have to enter March 12/14 as the first date and March 13/14 as the second date.

Rick Sloan

Re: Begin and End dates

Rick,

I'm not seeing the behavior your describe.

Consider this snippet from the interactive window:

Code:
    dim begin_date as D = {02/02/2014}
    dim end_date as D = {02/02/2014}

dim srch_date as D = {02/02/2014}

?srch_date >= begin_date .and. srch_date <= end_date
    = .T.
    I'm running build 1856_4237.

-- tom

Comment

Hi Tom

Thanks for the response Tom.

I have a simple dialog prompting for begin date and end date.

Then run my schedule report using Sched->date >= Var->Begin_Date .AND. Sched->date <= Var->End_date as a filter.

This is a simple filter.

When I open my work v11 this filter works perfectly. When I open my work in v12 it does not. Go figure.

It has worked in all versions up to v12, and now you have to go 'one day beyond' in order for it to capture the last day you want in the report.

The problem has to be something simple if it works for you.

I just ran a hard wired date directly in the report and it still will not show a single date. I still have to go one day beyond the last day I want to show in the report.

It appears that it could be the report. I will re-design a new report from scratch and let you know.

Thanks Tom

Rick

Comment

Can't help further without a copy of the database to inspect. If you are reluctant to post it here, I understand. However, if you trust me with it you can email it to me and we can talk about it offline.

-- tom
        [email protected]

Comment

Hi Tom

I am sorry, Law Society would not allow that.

I'll send you a private email if that's ok with you.

Thanks

Rick

Comment

I understand. -- tom

Comment

We had the same issue and switched to using the between function instead and that worked fine.
              Bob Whitaker

Comment

Great, I'll try that Bob.

Thanks

Comment

I submitted an email Alpha yesterday. I have just called them as well. We should not have to change our reports and have to search for 'work-arounds' for things that should work in the first place.

At least I'm not the only one having this problem.

Hopefully they will fix this and it will reflect in the next build.

Thanks

Rick

Comment

Rick,

Has Alpha addressed this issue?

I was having the same issue with v11 release candidate 3788 4187. Looks like this bug was introduced with that release.
                    Works fine with v11 3381 4096 (last "official" patch). Unfortunately the release candidate addressed another bug I was experiencing. I guess I need to decide which bug I prefer to live with?

Rui

Comment

Hi Rui

I sent customer service an email detailing the problem. I then contacted James at customer service, and we verbally went over it. James wanted me to send a copy of my DBF, which I cannot do. I was told by James he would pass it on anyway.

I have stopped using V12 until the next build or 2 comes out when I will check it again. I am sure James has passed it on and a correction was/will be made.

As a sidebar note, it appears to me that Alpha has given up on the Desktop user. I hope this is not the case. However, I see no new revolutions/additions that would warrant a costly upgrade. I reluctantly purchased v12 to correct the Google Maps issue only to find this problem.

Cheers

Rick

Comment

Rick,

From a business decision, I can understand why Alpha is focusing on web-development. I don't like it but I understand.

I guess as desktop users, the least we can ask for is that they make sure the software runs with future versions of Windows and new technologies. I would gladly pay to upgrade if it is the only way to keep my application viable.

What bothers me in this case is that something worked fine in an earlier version of 11 that is now broken in the last candidate release. (and v12). I just do not think it is appropriate to ask users to upgrade so that bugs that was introduced by Alpha be fixed.

Rui

Comment

Rick, you might want to submit a formal bug report through proper channels. Use the Help menu in AA. Customer service is not the recommended avenue for submitting bug reports or getting technical assistance.

Comment

I think that your filter is your problem in that I don't think that it is what you think it is.

I think that you have:

Sched->date >= Var->Begin_Date .AND. Sched->date < Var->End_date

In your code! Instead of:

Sched->date >= Var->Begin_Date .AND. Sched->date <= Var->End_date

This is proofed out in that if you add an extra day it works.

Comment

Hi Allen. The formula I use does include <= and works fine in V11 and earlier.

Tom, thanks for your help. I have sent alpha a bug report as you instructed.

I hear ya, Rui. There are some companies out there that cannot/will not use the internet regularly, for security reasons. Major companies like Target and Adobe have recently been hacked and client data stolen. I am sure these billion dollar companies spend large internet security. The internet is simply not a safe place to work on an ongoing basis. I use the internet from time to time to access my data when necessary, but I use 'Log me in' or 'Go to my PC' and the like; some of these companies have apps for cell phones. But here's the kicker. The security and the responsibility for the security is shouldered by them.

I understand the internet is Alpha's next horizon. Its business wise. However, there are many desktop users out there still willing to pay for usable upgrades.

Cheers to all

Comment

Working...
                              X