Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Anywhere - Windows 8 and Windows8.1 Pro - Does it Work!!?? Import Records 4 mil plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha Anywhere - Windows 8 and Windows8.1 Pro - Does it Work!!?? Import Records 4 mil plus

Issue 1 - Windows 8.0 and Windows 8.1 Support

We are a new User of Alpha Anywhere Version 12 and to date cannot use the product - despite requests to Alpha.
    I seek some clarification as we forwarded the issue and been advised we have to pay for a Support Service. Whoopee!

Does Alpha Anywhere run and is it Supported on Windows 8.0 and/or on Windows 8.1
    - we did report the environment and information- initial research indicates it may not function

- this has been time consuming and is proving costly as we purchased new Computer Workstations

If it does not Support Windows 8 plus, when is this likely to be released??

We had also installed MS SQL and we deleted and reverted to an older version

Issue 2

Alpha Anywhere 12 - the latest Version - we had running on a Windows 7 Workstation but importing CSV files of over 4 or 5 Million Records performed the initial trial and test run. Then the process "Started" the import Records and then it crashed , we try numerous variations and two workstations and the process crashed.

Appreciate some support as it is now July and we purchased Alpha Anywhere in February and installed the products and lodged the Operating System Query and the Record Import issue in May. That is when new equipment was purchased.

It is a little frustrating and we started to try and make use of the Alpha Product in May 2014\

We have un installed, re- installed the Alpha Products, installed the Patches and then the full patches, updated the Operating system, Internet Explorer and Chrome. Updated SQL and then removed the latest version. Installed MS Visual Studio 2013 Express..

Appreciate practical, direct advice

Thanks Bruce

Re: Alpha Anywhere - Windows 8 and Windows8.1 Pro - Does it Work!!?? Import Records 4 mil plus

Exactly how are you importing the records?

Your slow import probably has nothing to do with Alpha. Doing a 'normal' import on 4Mil record might take 4-10 hours or more. You need to use MSSQL's BULK INSERT (or LOAD DATA in MySQl) which will import the records in a snap. You would have to write the script and execute it from Alpha (or direct from MSSQL). Alpha would be right to charge you support if you asked them to do this for you.

Also, if it is a CSV file, can you post one row of data here for us to review.

AlphaAnywhere runs fine on Win7, Win8, Win8.1
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Re: Alpha Anywhere - Windows 8 and Windows8.1 Pro - Does it Work!!?? Import Records 4 mil plus

We use AA on 11 workstations running win 8.1 with MS server 2008R2 as a file server with MS Sql server 2012 and report no problems. Perhaps if you exemplify exactly what happens when you try to run AA?

John Walsh

Comment

John:

Alpha is not the issue here. It's something in your data, or you are not waiting out the time it takes to import so many records.

Try importing just, say, 100 records....

Don't use an SQL table to import, use a native DBF, first. (Take all the other possible variables related to SQL off the table...)

If that fails, try one record at a time looking for an oddity in a field that may be causing Alpha to choke.

From my past experience, there may be some records or fields in your CSV that may need to be cleaned.

Also, import the records into a DBF table with NO FIELD RULES set.

Once the CSV is sterilized, you should be able to import it. Keep in mind that the import may take a LONG time for that many records.

Once the data is inside a DBF, you should be able to move it to the SQL table, barring any issues on that side.

Craig

Comment

I'm with Steve on this one.
          We need to see the data and the structure of the repository.
          Using the Import in Alpha with a CSV is usually a breeze unless there is corruption or unprintable characters in the CSV.
          Craig makes a good point, and you should import ALL and worry about duplicates after you have managed the import.
          See our Hybrid Option here;
          https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
          You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Bruce,
            What is the output source of your CSV file DBF,SQL other? does it include memo files and images.
            I understand your not happy with the current situation as you planed to start in May-2014, but is the function of the message board to place your questions.
            As Steve said in an earlier post put the structure in a post + any details that are needed to fix it. I know from migrations in the past that large CSV files Alpha can't handle that it get's stuck in memory.
            Also the sum of columns can be an issue i seen tables with more then 400 columns and a size over 10GB

Comment

Gentlemen;
              Many thanks for the feedback. Currently we are processing data and details. I will have one of the guys review the posts and start from Scratch. First is to have Alpha operating on Windows8.1.

Comment

Basics of an Alpha install.
                Don't put it in the Program Files folder.
                Run the Compatability check
                Run as Administrator first time
                See our Hybrid Option here;
                https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

I run windows 8 pro ver 6.2.9200 no problems here. 64bit 5gb of ram.
                  I agree with everyone else this has something to do with the records, not alpha. To be honest I have never tried to import that amount of records but I have been around the forums enough to see that the guys answering you here are EXTREMELY knowledgeable and their advice is usually spot on!
                  I am sure once you get over this hurdle you will find that there is a learning curve BUT after that - you will find Alpha a breeze. Good luck!
                  Charles
                  NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Working...
                  X