Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

licensing for desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

licensing for desktop

we've got an Alpha desktop application that we were considering moving to a server architecture, but have decided not to do it. We have been faithfully paying our license fee for several years but there has been pretty well no desktop upgrade activity for a while now. I assume if we stop paying the annual license we can continue to use the version we have just we won't get any updates. Has anyone done this and are there any issues?

I was about to ask the same question. A long time customer (20 years?) has an app in A5v8 that is still running on an XP computer. He'd like to upgrade the computer (and is afraid that old XP could die any day and put him out of business for a while) but can't afford $1,000 a year for a subscription. They need at least one full version of Alpha Anywhere. Will the DESKTOP app continue to work as long as they don't need an upgrade to Alpha?

Comment

On this page https://customerpricing.blogspot.com/ they mentioned about perpetual license and said that the developer/runtime can be used indefinitely. As I understand it, upgrade is optional and the software can be used indefinitely. Will somebody confirm this if it is correct?
      Create windows desktop applications using pure web components.

Visit https://a5wd.com and download our Alpha Anywhere Library.

Comment

This is a version 9, running in XP Mode on Windows 7 - which I use as a Development machine.
        I imagine that V8 works in a similar way, although I don't use it.
        Alpha2.PNG
        Best way is to get someone to test out the app in whatever version of Windows you want.
        I'm happy to try it in Win7 and Win10 if you can send a basic version.

Alpha 9,10,10.5, 11, 11.5(?) all seem to run on new windows versions and are perpetual, but don't expect any help from Alpha with older versions.
        See our Hybrid Option here;
        https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
        You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland View Post
          On this page https://customerpricing.blogspot.com/ they mentioned about perpetual license and said that the developer/runtime can be used indefinitely. As I understand it, upgrade is optional and the software can be used indefinitely. Will somebody confirm this if it is correct?
          Those prices are from 2013

Comment

Originally posted by armasoft View Post

Those prices are from 2013
            I know but I cannot find any new link stating about the perpetual licensing except that link. If the perpetual license sold at that time is still in effect, then it could mean that the software can be used indefinitely and upgrade is optional. That is what I want to confirm. I also want to know if a subscription license would fall back to a perpetual license when the subscription is stopped which may allow the use of the software indefinitely.
            Create windows desktop applications using pure web components.

Visit https://a5wd.com and download our Alpha Anywhere Library.

Comment

If you are referring to V12, it may be different to earlier versions.
              Search "licensing" and you will see some issues where RT apps have suddenly stopped.
              My old version of V12 - 2014 still works but there is no RT in it, but the changes between V11.5 and 12 for the DT were not worth the expense.

If you opt for AA Web, your apps will fail if your license is not renewed. At least that is what has been reported.
              My Web/Mobile toolkit is perpetual as I will never join a subscription licensing model as I would be under someone elses control.

You could always talk to Alpha Sales, Roland.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
                If you are referring to V12, it may be different to earlier versions.
                Search "licensing" and you will see some issues where RT apps have suddenly stopped.
                My old version of V12 - 2014 still works but there is no RT in it, but the changes between V11.5 and 12 for the DT were not worth the expense.

If you opt for AA Web, your apps will fail if your license is not renewed. At least that is what has been reported.
                My Web/Mobile toolkit is perpetual as I will never join a subscription licensing model as I would be under someone elses control.

You could always talk to Alpha Sales, Roland.
                In fact there is tons of features in AA compared to v11.5. But if one is just using dbf and forms as before then obviously no need for v12.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland View Post

I know but I cannot find any new link stating about the perpetual licensing except that link. If the perpetual license sold at that time is still in effect, then it could mean that the software can be used indefinitely and upgrade is optional. That is what I want to confirm. I also want to know if a subscription license would fall back to a perpetual license when the subscription is stopped which may allow the use of the software indefinitely.
                  Did you ever find an answer as to whether the "perpetual" license is in fact perpetual? I also fell for the "Charter Membership" with all future upgrades being free; and they were until they weren't.

As a user since 31/2 floppy DOS version; I have been very disappointed in their pricing schemes.

Comment

Funny you mention floppies, I'm clearing out stuff and have some old versions on 3.5 discs.

In my experience, only v12 onwards has any perpetuity issues. The changes in M/soft are more likely to create issues.
                    My last Alpha purchased version is V11. I have v12 as a giveaway some years back and it still works.

Due to the pricing, although it would be nice to use Alpha for Web, I'm not keen on being a hostage to someone else's fortune, so I bought a perpetual web development product. Still developing with Alpha Desktop though as there isn't a better platform anywhere.

Our RAD test group have mentioned that Access might be coming back with web features.

Comment

Working...
                    X