Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Automatic file re-indexing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic file re-indexing

Why is it that when making some changes or appends to a parent child set and have exclusive use of the file Alpha starts re-indexing the file? This slows down some operations. I am using Alpha 12. I never had this in Alpha 11

I'm not aware of anything that could explain the different behavior you're reporting (between v11 and AA). Perhaps an explanation might be forthcoming with a more detailed explanation of the sequences you're running.

Questions that occur to me:
    - Are you working with native (DBF) tables?
    - Sets don't have indexes, tables do. what do you mean when you say "Alpha starts re-indexing the file"? what file? The parent, the child, or both?
    - Are you trying to update parent table records at the same time you are updating child table records?
    - Are you running saved operations back to back, using a single script that calls each operation in turn?

Comment

Tom

I have a set that is a log app that the parent has a log number and the child table is related by this log number. I have an operation that changes that log number of the child. This allows the user to combine/merger logs items.

One of the indexes is on the log number for the child table. When I run the operation to update the log number when no one else is on the network is using that child table, Alpha rebuilds all the indexes. However, when someone else is in that child table at the time the operation is run then no rebuild occurs.

Comment

My spider sense is telling me there is something wrong with the design of this.

If Alpha is updating indexes only when you have exclusive control, then you're probably getting out of synch indexes when it doesn't.

Changing linking fields is problematic.

Consider having another field for linking that is not viewed by the user and doesn't change.

Then you simply change the parent log number and the parent/child set now relates the new parent log number to the child without having to change child records.

I do this with the linking field being 32 characters and its value is set at the parent by api_uuidcreate()

I cal the field SID or LINKING_FIELD depending on my mode of the day.

You'll find SID in many relational databases doing this.

In QuickBooks, it's name varies from LISTID to TRANSID depending on the type of table.
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD
        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

The situation is I have a log number 1 with 20 child records related by log # 1. I have another log number 2 with 10 child records related but the log #2. I run a procedure to change the log number on the 10 record in the child from log #2 to log #1. Resulting in 30 child records now appear in Log #1 and 0 records in log #2

How would using a hidden SID or Linking_field solve this problem?

Just some background. This is an application that I am migration from Alpha 4 v6. This same operation worked without issue in this DOS version.

Any insight is very much appreciated

Thanks
          Pat

Comment

That's more information to understand what is going on.

Something else is going on cuz it doesn't fit what I would expect to happen.

If you run the same system in Alpha v11 you get the same behavior?
            Al Buchholz
            Bookwood Systems, LTD
            Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
            Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
            Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
            When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
            "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
            Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Pat, I'll assume you're working with DBF tables, and that you're not running operations one after the other from a single script. It helps us help you if you answer questions we ask, even if you think they're pointless :)

I share Al's view that there's something else going on here. If you close all forms and run the operation from the control panel, while no one else is using Alpha does reindexing occur?

Is the link from parent to child a simple link based on a single field, or a complex expression?

Is the index "filtered" in any way?

-- tom

Comment

Going from 4 to 5 is not as simple as it's made out to be.
                There are huge differences, not least if which is the Set construction.

Alpha is doing what you have asked it to do, so maybe you need to ask it a different question - as in rethinking the design.
                See our Hybrid Option here;
                https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Here is a link to a video giving an example of Alpha automatically re-indexing a file (with 1.2 million records) during a post operation of 22 records. It updates all indexes on the file being posted against. It is not posting to an index field. This is in a multiuser network environment - Windows 2012 server with SSD's. It happens when other users are in the file with 1.2 mil records and also happens when only one user is in.

The strange thing is, it doesn't happen on all computers on the network . It's a mix of Windows 7 and Windows 10 workstations that it is happening on.

Any insight into a solution would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
                  Pat
                  Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!

Comment

Show us the index constructs please.
                    Are the different Windows versions using the EXACT same application?

Comment

Ted

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes they are using the same runtime application release on 7 and 10.

The index definitions are shown in th last 10-15 seconds of the video

Thank You

Pat

Comment

Ma�ana.
                        Late here.
                        Will look then.

Comment

Ted

Have a good night, Much appreciated

Pat

Comment

Pat,
                            Your Index table will be updated when a change is made to a field which you have defined in an Index component.
                            When you change multiple fields through an Update/Post/Append operation, you must be aware that a combination of these fields may trigger a Reindex as Alpha has no way of knowing what your intentions are, but it does know that there are relationships which are affected.

It could be as simple as whichever user changes the problem Set, that will launch the re-index. Could just be happenstance.

Suggest you check the Set construction for the Referential Integrity to see if that is set - some use it, others don't.
                            Field Names. If these are long - I try to restrict to 8 char - this may/will screw up indices and may cause Alpha to try and recreate them.

Without an example of the Form and Set causing the issue I am flying blind.
                            Can you zip an anonymized Set with the Tables and Operations here so we can look at it?

Comment

Ted

Here is the link. The file is about 163 MB

Admin and user password is password

Thanks for the look

Thanks
                              Pat
                              Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!

Comment

Working...
                              X