Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Missing Toolbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing Toolbar

Hello,

On one of my runtime versions I am missing the toolbar as per the following picture

altered toolbar.png

On other PC's in my office it has the toolbar as shown in the following picture

normal toolbar.png

How do I get this toolbar back?

Thank you

Try reinstalling the RT on the affected machine.
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

I tried to uninstall the runtime version and I got an error "could not open Install.Log file". I manually deleted the local runtime directory and reinstalled but I am still missing the toolbar. I tried to remove the runtime version again and I still get "could not open Install.Log file"

Thanks

Comment

Q - workstation running shadow copy, or connecting directly to the workspace / database on the server over your network?

Q - in your example you show different pages of the tabbed control. Have you programmed the form to switch toolbars when users switch tabbed pages?

Comment

We are connecting directly to the database on the server over our network.

The form does not switch toolbars when switching tabbed pages. When I snipped the second picture from a working version of runtime the "People" tab happened to be active but the second picture is the way the toolbar looks on all tabs. The first picture shows the problem runtime with the missing or wrong toolbar and it is missing on all tabs.

Thank you

Comment

Then it looks like a machine specific issue.
            Have any updates been run on the machine in question?
            What OpSys are you working with?
            If you are running this directly on the database, you may have to remove the Alpha entry in the Registry on that machine before you can do a proper install.

BE VERY CAREFUL AND BACK UP THE REGISTRY BEFORE YOU TOUCH ANYTHING!

On the other hand, you could try Network Optimisation on that machine and see if that fixes it.
            There are many unknowns here, like where the RT version has been installed. If it is in the Programs folder you may not have access privileges for that folder under the new Windows rules.

Comment

This sounds crazy, but you might want to doublecheck "which" database you're connecting to with the misbehaving workstation. It's possible you have multiple copies in different folders and the RT is pointing to the wrong folder.

If not, more questions for you:

Q - how long has this been occurring?

Q - if the misbehaving workstation used to perform correctly what changed ?

Q - did this get noticed after you made changes to the design of the form or toolbar? If so, what changes?

Comment

I haven't posted a response in a long time since we have been avoiding the problem PC but now the problem started on a second machine.

Ted Giles:
                Windows updates have been run on both problem PC's.
                Both computers are running Windows 10 and we do work directly on the database which is located on our server which is running Win2012.
                When you say to remove the alpha entry in the registry before you can do a proper re-install I'm assuming that you mean the registry on the problem computer rather than the server but please confirm.
                Also how would I remove the entry because there seems to be many entries in the registry for Alpha5.

Network optimization did not fix the problem on that machine.
                The runtime version is installed here C:\Program Files (x86)\a5V12 Runtime and I have access to that folder.

Tom Cone:
                We have double-checked and the runtime version is pointing to the correct database.
                This started happening just before I made my initial post and as far as I know nothing has changed on the problem workstation.

New information:
                This just started happening on a second Workstation and that Workstation does not have the runtime version but it has the full version and now it is missing the toolbars as well. The full version was uninstalled and then reinstalled and the problem is still occurring but we didn't remove the alpha entry because we're not sure what Ted Giles was referring to.

We then installed the runtime version on a fresh PC that has never had Alpha 5 installed and that works fine and has the toolbars.

Any help to get the two broken PCS working again with the toolbars would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this! - Jim

Comment

Go to 'C:\ProgramData\Alpha Software\Alpha Five Version 12\Installations' and choose the folder that is where the alpha5.exe is installed mine is Ca5V11 (C for the 'C' drive 'a5v11' for the folder) and delete:

a_toolbars_customized.* this will remove all custom tool bars

if a_toolbars_customized.* is also in the folder where the alpha5.exe is located you might have to delete them there too.

custom menus are stored in:

C:\Users\username\Documents\Alpha Five V12\SystemMenus

At least this is where they are stored in V11
                  Last edited by Allen Klimeck; 02-10-2021, 05:05 PM.

Comment

"Network optimization did not fix the problem on that machine.
                    The runtime version is installed here C:\Program Files (x86)\a5V12 Runtime and I have access to that folder."

Some of us old timers put Alpha RT in a folder outside of the Program Files (X86) one. Windows does not always work nicely with the Prog Files folder.

More info requested.
                    I am unclear as to the configuration.
                    Is the RT version/build on the errant PC's exactly the same as the version on the server? If they are different that may cause issues.
                    Have you Refreshed the Shadow Copy on the machines affected - see Runtime Options for using version control.
                    If the Menu on the Server is set, then that should carry forward to the Shadow version unless there is some corruption going on.
                    As regards TABS. They can cause problems when being built or changed. So, suggest get everyone OFF the application, BACK UP the whole application and then run a Database Compact on the Server version. Open each RT workstation and refresh the Shadow copy.

See if that helps.

Comment

First, you do not mention so I have to assume all copies of the alpha 5 applications are the same version/build.

Looking at your original post, you talk about the toolbar. But if you look at the Menu bar, that is different also.

I opened up a copy of my runtime and ran Alpha Sports. Alpha Sports is a built in demo application supplied by Alpha. Alpha Sports is a very useful tool to be used when troubleshooting issues.

Alpha Sports has a number of custom toolbars and menus. The interesting thing I learned is that when I returned to the control panel, I have the same menu bar and tool bar as shown by you in your initial post, the first picture.

Next I have to ask, does this Menu Bar and Toolbar persist in all of the forms of your application or is this anomaly associated with this one form only.

Maybe you should install a copy of Alpha Sports on your server for testing the problem child runtime. If running Alpha Sports on the problem computer has issues, then I think it points to a probable corrupt installation of the runtime application on that computer.
                      Alpha 5 Version 11
                      AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
                      DBF's and MySql
                      Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald Anusiewicz View Post
                        I opened up a copy of my runtime and ran Alpha Sports. Alpha Sports is a built in demo application supplied by Alpha. Alpha Sports is a very useful tool to be used when troubleshooting issues.
                        Once opened, try opening form 'Customer Information' - this uses the default menu & toolbar.

Comment

Thank you very much for all the suggestions!! The problem has been resolved on both PC's

As I tried before I deleted the runtime version manually by deleting the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\a5V12 Runtime I did this manually because when I tried to uninstall thru windows the unwise.exe program gave an error "could not open Install.Log file"

I then used Allen Klimeck's suggestion which led me down the correct path. I didn't see exactly what Allen described but I deleted the following folders:
                          C:\My Documents\AlphaAnywhere V12 which also had a subfolder called SystemMenus
                          C:\ProgramData\Alpha Software

I then rebooted and re-installed the runtime version and a patch that we had.

I followed the old timer Ted Giles suggestion and avoided installing directly into the default C:\Program Files (x86)

The toolbar is back.

This worked similar on the PC that had the full version except that one automatically uninstalled using windows add/remove programs but the same two folders were manually deleted after the uninstall as described above.

Thanks again everyone for you time. - Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X