Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Memo Fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memo Fields

Hello

This site going back many years has documented the problem of corrupt memo fields.

1: On the desktop, have Alpha fixed this issue?

2: Has anyone else used an alternative to overcome this issue?

In nearly all business applications there is a need to tell a story about who did what and when.
    Memo fields if they could be relied upon solve this, primarily because they allow unlimited wrap-around text that can be added to forms and reports.

Any input would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Alex

Database Software Solutions Limited
    www.dbasesolution.co.uk
    http://www.precise360.co.uk
    PRECISE360 -
    LYNCHPIN -

Originally posted by alexmuir View Post
    Hello

This site going back many years has documented the problem of corrupt memo fields.

1: On the desktop, have Alpha fixed this issue?

2: Has anyone else used an alternative to overcome this issue?

In nearly all business applications there is a need to tell a story about who did what and when.
    Memo fields if they could be relied upon solve this, primarily because they allow unlimited wrap-around text that can be added to forms and reports.

Any input would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Alex

1. It's fundamental problem of Dbase. There is not a return address in the memo field data, so if the link from the dbf to the fpt is lost, it is not rebuildable.
    This problem has been around since Dbase was designed and occurs in all system using Dbase. Ie FoxPro, et al.

a. use an audit trail to keep the 2 way linkage in Dbase.

b. use a relational database.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

The Audit Trail is a useful piece of processing as it can record all changes.
      The problem becomes apparent when the complexity of an application produces a lot of before and after information which can become unravellable without a lot of effort.
      I think I sent you details how to build a Hybrid app Alex, and using Al's suggestion, you could create an SQL Instance readily enough - SqlExprsss may be suitable - and you can have that at no cost of a server as it would be local.
      Another way is something I do with Local Government stuff. All documentation is either scanned or typed in using forms or keyboard.
      These data are saved in a Nuance PaperPort EDMS application, WITH a link to the document pertaining to the items in question in Alpha.

I have done a lot of work with Legal Admissibility of Electronic Evidence, so if you need any info, just mail me.
      See our Hybrid Option here;
      https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
      You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Some variation on this advice has been posted many times. As long as you are stuck with the DBF format then you need to avoid certain scenarios. And, if you do, while nothing is guaranteed, problems can be minimized.

1. Never, ever allow direct editing of a memo field in a form. Never ever allow a memo field on a form to be opened in enter mode and allowed to just sit there.
        2. Use the memo field for display only. Put buttons on the form to enter or change values, The buttons popup an xdialog either to add new text or edit the existing text. They can sit there forever without any problems, and the memo field is opened only when saving the text.
        3. Not withstanding the above, I would never use a Rich Text Memo field and have almost completely dispensed with image reference fields. IOW, consider very carefully before you add anything that will need to be stored in the FPT file.
        Finian

Comment

One other tip for memo fields in DBF tables:

Use a separate table for your memo field. Link it to your other tables in a set. The new table would have a link field and the memo field. No other data.

If you put a memo field in a table with other data fields and the memo field becomes corrupted, you can't open the table... so the the data in the other fields is inaccessible.

-- tom

Comment

Hi all,
            What Tom posted is a very long time tried and true principle I have followed forever. I believe Peter Wayne forwarded this concept of keeping memo fields in a 1:1 child table. That's my practice. RTF fields. Finian, I'm not sure how you can avoid using them for reports, I can't not use them for reports. But I do save three versions of raw RTF data in a separate table that I use as backups if a corruption issue happens. And they happen, and these backups have been life saving. It's a matter of learning what the rocks are and making provisions for the rocks.
            Mike W

Comment

Hi Mike:

Yes, I use Rich Text in reports but I've never needed to add a rich text memo field to a table. (I forgot about the stand-alone table for memos in my advice above.). When I need richly formatted text in a report I create it on the fly in the RT field using expressions based on fields from the tables. My reports are pretty straightforward so I've always been able to get what I need.
              Finian

Comment

Working...
              X