Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Setting up DBF sets: Editing link expressions problem when a variable is needed....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up DBF sets: Editing link expressions problem when a variable is needed....

Trying to use a variable in the link expression of a set (dbf).... Something appears to be wrong here.

First, I can't use any of the variables even if they are both "assigned" in the table, and also in the set definition.
    I've tried vc_VariableName, and also var->vc_VariableName. Looks OK, but either way I get the error "Field is not recognized" when I attempt to save. (Hence, I can't save the expression!)

Second: When I'm editing the link expression and I press the + key..... I get a list the table fields. At the top of the list I see a "Calc->" entry.
    Besides the oddity that the "Calc->" entry exists but not a "Var->" entry..... Even when I try to assign a global variable via a calculated field, I encounter the same problem as above.

I've already tried running the app to insure the global variable is set. It doesn't make a difference. I've also found that when trying to enter characters into a link expression, they don't always appear as they should.....

Ironically you can use variables (and even functions, there's a button for add a function in the link definition) when setting up other aspects of the set..... But variables are apparently not working properly in this one particular spot. ~ I really need to be able to do this. Any suggestions on embedding a variable or function within the link definition? I'm working with a Global variable which is set via script when the application is initialized.

~Going to try and create a global function. NOPE.... That won't take either. FWIW: This value is only assigned once when program initially launches.
    (Returns a similar error indicating my function is not recognized.)

All I'm trying to do is assign the parent link expression side to: "MASTERKEY + vc_GlobalVar" (where MASTERKEY is the parent field, and vc_GlobalVar = "000001")
    "Hardcoding" the following link expression: MASTERKEY + "000001" works fine. Just can't define via variable/function/calculated value.......

Function:
    Code:
    'Date Created: 17-Feb-2016 05:57:24 PM
    'Last Updated: 17-Feb-2016 05:59:12 PM
    'Created By  : Business
    'Updated By  : Business
    FUNCTION MerchantSuffix_fnc AS C ( )
    	dim global vc_Suffix as C 'global variable initialized via autoexec script
    	vc_Suffix = lookupc("C","MERCHLINK","parmfield0","setup_cfg","Prmd__")
    	select case
    		case vc_Suffix = "00000" 'suffix not needed
    			vc_Suffix = ""
    		case else
    			vc_Suffix = "_" + alltrim(vc_Suffix) 'append suffix
    		end select
    MerchantSuffix_fnc = alltrim(vc_Suffix)
    END FUNCTION

'==========================================================
    ui_msg_box("MerchantID",MerchantSuffix_fnc())
    end
    Last edited by SNusa; 02-17-2016, 07:29 PM.
    Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
    It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
    RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Re: Setting up DBF sets: Editing link expressions problem when a variable is needed....

One other thought here: I am able to use pre-defined functions, but what's the point if you can't use variables with them either?
    Example: dtoc(date()) and similar pre-defined functions work just fine. (So long as there are no variables used?)
    It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
    RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Re: Setting up DBF sets: Editing link expressions problem when a variable is needed....

I don't believe you can use a variable because the linking key for a set requires Alpha to build an index. Using a variable would require the index and the links to be fluid. Or at least the set builder seems to think that's what you want.
      There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Stan;
        Could have sworn this was possible in previous versions, likely V.10x (where I started this crazy app?) (It was part of my "plan" way back, but I needed to take care of 10,000 other things before adding back this flexibility.) I'm going to check. I still have v.10.5 installed on a prior version of windows residing on this system. Even so, since you can use built in functions (like string functions with field values and fixed numbers) seems odd..... Irrespective, in this scenario, fluidity is not what I am trying to accomplish. Value is set before set is used by layout. It's a "set link and forget" for each run of a5. ~ Might be able to accomplish the same thing with the right string functions etc. I may ask alpha about this.

Question on the index building: The index you're referring to.... When do you think these set dependent indexes are built? On set design, or on set usage? Also, what is the reasoning for providing the Calc field (and the variable definition) capabilities within sets? I can see the reasoning for this on tables so you have table field default values (to avoid table corruption while working with the tables alone)..... But on sets if they can't be used, why does the variable and calc value assignment capability exist?
        Last edited by SNusa; 02-18-2016, 12:18 PM.

Comment

I think when designing, to prepare for data entry. You can link on calc fields to allow multi field links. You can create set variables so that they are available whenever the set is used.
          There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks Stan...
            Question: Are you implying that it would not be a good idea (even if I'm successful) to use string functions (in the linking field definition) to conditionally strip away the suffix portion of the link? ie: "_000001" (Or optionally use a conditional calculated value as the link, and reference the global variable that way? (global variable assigned once, only at startup)

(And which method would you suggest, if any?)

FWIW, I did learn that if you have field rule (defaults) for a table: That removing a variable (upon which a field default is calculated) will corrupt (remove/strip) all of the indexes from the table. If you make this mistake (as I did lol): You're left with a table with all the user defined indexes missing/gone forever.

SOLUTION/WORKAROUND?
            Not sure about performance issues of doing it this way (given the index setup thing you explained) but it seems fine. (feedback certainly welcome).....
            I was able to create the following child link definition (one simple character extraction function) which accomplishes what I need while avoiding usage of the global variable: word(Masterkey,1,"_",1) Note: I might add an alltrim(), just for safety sake!
            Last edited by SNusa; 02-18-2016, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Sets are "best" built with table fields. No mods if possible. Those table fields should be indexed.

I almost never combine fields in a set like xyz+pet.

other
              dim t as c
              t = dtoc(mydate) will work fine where mydate is a field
              if var then
              t = dtoc(var->mydate) will work
              Use these in scripts, functions and other where accptible

Dates are generally NOT a good linking field

Suggest not trying to do a set as any type filter. Too many other ways to get there(if that is what you are trying)
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I totally agree Dave. I do very little with the table and field settings themselves. (and usually NOTHING with the sets) Most everything (validation, etc.) is done in the layout etc. (with the exception of uniqueness sometimes, setting indexes) I avoid using auto-increment as well (mostly for multi-user performance/record locking considerations.)

The only reason I am working with modifying the linking field in this set is:
                Upgrading to multi-merchant updates the linking fields. (all the sub tables) It appends the fields with an underscore and a "text number': aka: "_000001, _000002 etc." By default (before the upgrade) Without going "multi-merchant" (for future web/tablet integration) this "suffix" does not exis. Once upgraded to multi-merchant (changing the merchant id from "000000" to something else in a setup file field: I want to keep the customers all tied into multiple merchant data. (as opposed to having multiple customers ID's, one for each merchant)

I suppose I could restructure by adding/using a different linking field. (Probably a smart thing as I eventually anticipate the web side integrating this data in mySQL/mySL fork like MariaDB.

On a side note: Why can't I get this to go away (even after updates) in news and updates?:
                You do not have the most recent release of Alpha Anywhere.
                Click here to download and update to build 2999.

When I click on the subscription info link in a5, everything is OK: (It correctly indicates the subscription expires next year.)
                Last edited by SNusa; 02-19-2016, 11:59 AM.

Comment

I am going to mention the long field names that many use, but not most.
                  My field names are max of 10 characters.
                  Just hope you luck on those.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                    I am going to mention the long field names that many use, but not most.
                    My field names are max of 10 characters.
                    Just hope you luck on those.
                    I'm referring to the data within the field with the linking suffix "_00001" etc..... Not the field names. All my field names are 10 MAX, indexes are 8 max (2 underscores for #7 and 8) so I know they're mine even if one char is somehow "cut" from the index name. (Never seen it happen, only read about the possibility.) ~ One trick I have used to keep these index names short, is to use the field names while stripping all the vowels and then adding the two underscords. Keeps things logical & EASILY recognizable in the code. Almost always fits within the 8 chars without variation to my "vowel-free index naming convention." (And only if the first letter is a vowel in the field do I use it.)

Spent a ton of time trying to learn to live within the safety zone while using a5. All variables are localized as low as possible. (3 globals for the entire application which are absolutely necessary) Pretty much all the code I write is encapsulated within functions, not scripts etc. etc. etc. (With regards to everything I do in a5, I strive to live within the guidelines of CSDA1. If you're using a5, the info on Ira's site is worth it's weight in gold imo!)

PS Dave: Thank you! You just enlightened me as to how I am trying to use a5 to "obscure the lines" between field linking and field data for this set. Definitely not a normal practice. (And how a5 is so forgiving within the way it works with sets build on dbf's.) ~ Going to do this the right way. Add another field to this particular set. Pretty sure that everything else in the app is/was built to accommodate this relatively easy mod.
                    Last edited by SNusa; 02-19-2016, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Well, even though using word(Masterkey,1,"_",1) works flawlessly within the set to define the linking...... (which kind of blends the distinction between table fields as links with table data lol)
                      Still going to do it the right way for two reasons:
                      1.) SQL variant to be used when data uploaded to a server for multi-merchant.
                      2.) Also for a "common link" for all merchants (working autonomously) so customers can easily connect to all merchants via the same User Id.

Other than a SSN (which obviously isn't a smart/good idea), anyone have any suggestions other than an email address for global uniqueness? I'm looking for something that is easy to remember/use repeatedly by people at multiple merchants/locations. ~ Something that doesn't typically change (but can be changed if necessary by customer) which ties their ONE account to multiple merchants. (Phone number and lastname+ schemas are a "no-go" due to marriage, phone changes etc.) Looking for something persistent, unique and easy that customer will remember to use...
                      Last edited by SNusa; 02-20-2016, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X