Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Index Error and Restore Error - Separate or possibly connected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Index Error and Restore Error - Separate or possibly connected?

Hi,

You've all been incredibly helpful to the point that I usually don't even need to post my question or problem. This time I'm not finding much to help me work through the two issues I'm experiencing. They may be related, but may also be totally separate. I have no idea. I'm hoping you all can help me work through this. Please keep in mind that I'm no expert. Sorry in advance for such a long post.

First problem is related to the Restore feature of the database. I have an edit version of the program that I use to make all of my database updates and edits. When I'm ready to update the live version for everyone, I take a backup of the live data and restore only the data files into my edit version. There are times where I'll restore the data, but when I go back and look not all of the tables restored and not all of them are available to restore if I look for them on the list. If I take that file and put it on my desktop, all of the files are there and the database works fine. Any idea what could be going on with that? It's incredibly frustrating and sucking up a lot of time.

Next problem I discovered while trying to troubleshoot the first problem. If I check the indexes of all tables, I am getting errors on some of the mapped tables, not all. Hopefully uploaded below. It says "Script: UI_MODELESS_DLG_BOX:Check Indexes line:99 result = check_index_local(a_tables[indx].name) Variable "FIELD NAME" not found.

Sometimes there is no "FIELD NAME" and just says 'No such field' instead. I found a way to get it working so I went in and fixed the few maps with issues yesterday, but today, the error is showing up again in different maps. I have no idea what's going on. Do any of you have any ideas or information that can help?

error.jpg

Thank you for any help you can provide!
    Alicia

4:24 p.m. The more I look at it, the more it looks like the maps with issues were created in V10 or before. Could that be related?
    Last edited by delilahbean; 02-18-2016, 08:26 PM. Reason: Added Info

Re: Index Error and Restore Error - Separate or possibly connected?

Couple of things....
    If you have any dropped tables, they aren't included when you use the bult in backed up so they can't be restored. This is a dangerous situation that I reported a long time ago. Dropped tables and their objects only drop from the a5 control panel so you can't see them. They're still there and will continue to work if called via script, PROVIDING they are still in the sub-directory. (But the backups and their corresponding restores won't include these dropped items/objects.)

Mapped tables are strange. If you attempt to rebuild indexes on them via code, you get errors. They don't have their own indexes. Presumably, they use indexes from the tables they're generated from. (This could be why you're seeing the second error. I'm thinking that the built-in backup may not be taking this anomaly into consideration with indexes checked for mapped tables.)

Many people I have learned from suggested you don't rely on the built-in backup routines for various reasons. I wonder if the problem you are having is one of them?
    FWIW: Whenever I back up project, I use an external application like Tera Copy.

It's also a good idea to learn the data structures. That way you can selectively/manually transfer data along with the indexes etc. without relying on the internal backup/restore.
    The only time I use the built-in backup/restore, zip etc.... is when I want to get rid of all the extra stuff. (I think form history is also omitted from one of the backup features.) Regardless, I immediately test my backup afterwards to make sure nothing is missing.
    Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
    It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
    RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Robert, thank you for your feedback. I was using the "backup" feature, then switched to using the "Zip" feature within the database. Because of this problem I'm going to look at doing all of my backup and updates outside of the database so that I am in control of what gets updated. This is getting too stressful not to. I have seen some of your posts and will go back to see what has been said about the data structures in order to come up with a new routine.

I had to fix my maps so I could run the "Check indexes" tool, so I just added all of the fields that gave errors to each of the maps in order to get past them. I finally got a complete run through this weekend. Now I can fix those index errors and hopefully move on.

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Also, tables that have been "dropped" from the database/don't show in the control panel are NOT included when you create or refresh a shadow.
        Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
        972 524 8714
        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by martinwcole View Post
          Also, tables that have been "dropped" from the database/don't show in the control panel are NOT included when you create or refresh a shadow.
          Always thought the "dropping of tables" feature (a good thing but only hides the associated layouts etc. in the control panel) in combination with the way the built-in backup routines work creates a potentially very dangerous situation for numerous reasons. Drop the wrong one, you may never know (until it's too late/and or your user finds out before you do.) There are also some really "neat things" you can do with dropped sets and tables etc. (like backup revisions/duplication etc of the underlying layouts.) But you can also find that your code is still working with/referencing these "dropped objects" you can't see in the control panel/don't know they exist/are still needed. (So you find you're either looking for and/or "fixing the wrong layout", or even worse: After a restore, your restored application is broken beyond repair. (due to having dropped the wrong thing unknowingly/by mistake)

On that thought (sorry to get slightly side-tracked): Assuming the runtime doesn't have the capability to "un-drop" tables and sets.... I suppose you could drop all sorts of "not startup objects" to even further hide them from the user? (Another way of locking down/hiding an application. ~ Any thoughts on this?)
          Last edited by SNusa; 02-23-2016, 03:24 PM.
          Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
          It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
          RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Working...
          X