Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Semaphore Time Out Period Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semaphore Time Out Period Error

I've been getting a "Semaphore Timeout Period has expired" error consistently (we run a collection of operations every night) for the past couple weeks.
    It happens randomly on operations to two tables - not always to the same table, and not always the same operation - posts, updates, and recalc field rules have all failed.
    It can happen regardless of who runs the operations (we are network optimized).
    It happens at various times of night/morning - we thought maybe it was network utilization vs. backup jobs, so I've even killed those before attempting.
    An operation will fail with the error once, and then if run again, it will succeed.
    The only commonality I see is that the number in the lower left part of the screen when I get the fail message is always in the 47000's.
    I've compacted the database, deleted temp files, and tried inserting Wait periods between the operations in the script. Maybe this is not an Alpha issue, but I wanted to check here before I rule it out, as I haven't gotten the error with any other applications.
    Last, we're running Windows 10 and are patched up through our most recent version (12.3 / build 2399). No changes to our environment that I can think of (other than a possible Windows update).
    Any ideas? Need any other info, let me know.
    Thanks very much. I'm going bonkers.
    Last edited by Briddba; 08-16-2016, 07:12 PM.

Re: Semaphore Time Out Period Error

Googling says it is a network timeout message. This link is for Win 7 but yours is likely similar.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help...s-expired.html
    There can be only one.

Comment

I'll check the fragmentation. Thanks Stan. Here's hoping.

Comment

The only commonality I see is that the number in the lower left part of the screen when I get the fail message is always in the 47000's.
        I wouldn't rely on the status bar record count too much. Alpha spends more time doing what you tell it to do than it does reporting to you that it is still doing it. That count can "freeze" for a variety of reasons unrelated to the actual process.
        There can be only one.

Comment

Good to know about the red herring, thanks!
          The drive in question is 11% fragmented (it's 1TB), so I'll post results after I've had a chance to defragment it and run the operations.

Comment

I am not an Alpha Desktop guy, and in that spirit this advice is not Alpha advice. Have you looked at any of the error logs in windows? If I had to guess, and this is a wild guess, I would check for either bad ram or a failing drive. For me a failing drive was causing some write issues, then it was a failing/overheating video card that was causing a display issue. All fixed now, that failing drive caused a windows issue randomly for a few years. My drives are in a Raid array and although I knew it was related I couldn't figure out which one in the array had the problem. Luckily, I am using an IBM server machine and it basically self diagnosed.
            A fragmented drive, could have the exact info your having an issue with in a bad sector - that could be solved by moving the fragments elsewhere.
            Is your database on the same drive as the application? If so maybe you could move it to an external drive...I don't know your setup so I am just throwing ideas out there...hope you solve it!
            NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Thanks a lot for the reply, Charles. I did defragment the drive successfully, but I'm still getting the semaphore error. Even if it's not specifically an Alpha problem, it's happening to me while using Alpha (and so far nothing else), so I'm hoping this thread will still be useful to someone sometime. I've passed your post along to our LAN admin guy, so we'll see what he can do with the event logs. Now the only similarities I'm seeing are that operations only fail when running against our two largest tables. Our application is on the same drive as the database, so I'll check into separating. Again, thanks!

Comment

I would scour the values in the tables for irregularities before committing to a move though. Just do a quick SORT on each of the not null columns and then the numeric columns. Look for values that do not belong and do not make sense, anything that would throw a flag when you have a known accepted value, like it should be numeric and there's a dollar sign in there, or it should be a Char and you see a blank value and its a NOT NULL field or there's a space in the column name (last name VS last_name)

If this application has been running smooth for quite some time and is only recently hiccuping, it may be invalid data that is being encountered - whether it is at the hardware level or the software it's worth a look at both ends!

Again, good luck!
                NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

I appreciate the additional troubleshooting ideas and will take a look for anomalous values in the suspect tables.

And for documentation's sake, I misspoke when I said we had the app and the data on the same drive. We're using the client-side network optimized app to access the tables on our server.

Comment

Working...
                  X