Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Intermittent Startup Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent Startup Error

One of my clients is having intermittent trouble with the application getting a startup error: "Error Loading C:\USERS\MYNAME\APPDATA\ROAMING\ALPHASOFTWARE VERSION 12\psc_control_file.DBF: the system cannot find the file specified." Basically, it's looking for the startup form in the wrong place, using this local path instead of the network path. When we restore from backup the .adb, .alx, .alb, and .alm files as suggested in another thread, it takes care of the problem for a little while, but it keeps cropping up again, sometimes multiple times a day, to the frustration of the users.

This is on a network with several users, but none of them are shadowed.

Any ideas?

Nathan
    Last edited by Nathan Zeiset; 09-13-2016, 11:20 AM.

Re: Intermittent Startup Error

What is the code that calls the form? Or are you using the startup form in the database properties?

Have you identified some thing that runs and then causes the issue at next startup?

What does the control panel tables/sets detail view show for that table when it works? and then when it does not work?

Can you make a small sample that shows the problem?

Sometimes I find making the sample focuses on the problem and allows me to id and solve it.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

We are using the startup form in the database properties.

So far we have not been able to identify anything that runs and causes the issue at next startup.

When it works, the control panel detail view shows the path for that table as a:\pscwf12\psc_control_file.dbf, which is the correct network path. At this point I don't know for sure what it shows when it doesn't work, but I'll try to take a look the next time it throws the error.

I don't think it would be practical to make a small sample of the database, since it is large and complex, and the error is intermittent, so I don't know how to reproduce it.

Nathan

Comment

I wonder if the issue is due to the network connection being lost and Alpha looking in the next likeliest place? Next time it happens you might have them see if they can access the Alpha network directory. If it is only a momentary network dropout then that might not help. Could be worthwhile having their network checked out.
        There can be only one.

Comment

I think it's highly unlikely that the network connection is being lost. It is a wired Ethernet connection with a gigabit switch. The users are able to browse to the alpha directory when the error is going on. Also, the database is password protected, and the password prompt comes up when the users try to open Alpha, which would indicate it found the database.

Nathan

Comment

When it works, the control panel detail view shows the path for that table as a:\pscwf12\psc_control_file.db
            was a: not alway6s designated for a floppy drive in older windows?

Might try mapping a drive using L, M or something.

The other way is \\myserver\apppath\something.adb instead of using a mapped drive at all.
            actually using this for one of mine: \\GS-APP01\globeempty\amgs.Adb

You also notice there are no spaces in anything, not that it is all your cause.
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks for your input, Dave. I think too that using drive A: is unusual, but I doubt that is creating the problem. However, your other suggestion is intriguing. How would you avoid using the mapped drive? Are you suggesting that we change the shortcut to the application to use the server path rather than the path that uses the mapped drive?

Nathan

Comment

Are you suggesting that we change the shortcut to the application to use the server path rather than the path that uses the mapped drive?
                Yes

" \\GS-APP01\globeempty\amgs.Adb" is an actual connection here. Similar in most of the applications I ship that have Shadowed table.

It is worth the try.

To further clarify. MY clients are not allowed to have spaces in anything inside the apps or in the paths. I mean NONE
                Last edited by DaveM; 09-15-2016, 01:43 PM.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

This issue has just reoccurred for my client, and I was able to get a couple more answers to your questions.

1. I bypassed the startup form, and found that the control panel was empty except for the Code tab, which had all of the scripts there, and the Operations tab, which had only the Import operations listed. I checked the size of the .adb file, and found it was very small, maybe 5KB. When I restored the .adb file from backup, it was 105KB. Somehow it's getting zapped, or something.

2. I tried accessing the database directly instead of using a mapped drive, as DaveM suggested, but the same error occurred. Obviously, it's not the path, but the .adb file itself that's the problem.

3. I don't know if this has anything to do with this problem, but there is something unusual about this database. When the database is functioning normally, under the code tab each script is listed four or five times, each with a different path, but each is actually the same script. Currently the paths are a:\pscwf12\pscwf.alb, a:\pscwf12\\pscwf.alb, a:\\pscwf.alb, and \\pscwfdc1\data\shared files\pscwf_alpha5db\pscwf12\\pscwf.alb. When I check the Libraries tab under the Workspace Properties, pscwf.alb is listed four times, each showing its respective path. I have tried deleting all of the libraries except for the one with the path a:\pscwf12\pscwf.alb (since this is the path that appears in Windows Explorer), but eventually the others get added back to the list of libraries. Interestingly enough, when I checked the Code tab during the time the error was occurring, only one instance of the scripts was showing (a:\pscwf12\pscwf.alb). Could this somehow be related to the error?

Nathan

Comment

I've seen this happen on an overloaded server with Alpha in a client server mode.

Using RDP or an alternate can minimize (or eliminate) the issue.

You should also keep a current copy of the database structure files with the table/set support files to rebuild on demand.

Do you have any indexing issues with this system? Ie corrupted indices?

Memo fields? Any issues with those?

As Stan stated, network drops are a primary concern. Can be a faulty network card in a PC, switch port, router port, bad connector, cable.....

Narrowing it down may take adding some log files to your system to note activities and machines when an issue is noticed.

Never easy or fun.
                    Al Buchholz
                    Bookwood Systems, LTD
                    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Nathan,

Is the customer running the database on a NAS device?

-- tom

Comment

Al: I'm not aware of any indexing issues, or problems with the memo fields, at least not on a regular basis.

Tom: No, the database is running on a server using Windows Server 2008 R2.

-Nathan

Comment

This error occurred again this morning. While I can fairly quickly retrieve the .adb file from backup and restore it, all users have to wait while that's done, which is frustrating to them. I really need to get to the bottom of this.

The only route I know to pursue is Al's suggestion of adding log files to the system to note activities and machines in use when the problem occurs. However, I feel at a loss to know where to begin. Any tips or suggestions?

Comment

Check the versions for the RT and Dev.
                            They must be the same release.
                            That's why any new Dev release needs to be used to recreate the RT you have deployed else changes will cause issues.
                            Either that, or stick with a favourite release.
                            See our Hybrid Option here;
                            https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                            You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Nathan,

I'm puzzled why you say "the correct network path" is to the A: drive. Is the database running on a floppy disk?

Does the "A: drive" you see refer to the A: drive on the user's workstation, or the A: drive on a server machine on your network?

Is this a new database?

Is this one that has been recently moved to a new directory?

Please take a few minutes to describe:

- Your network setup - describe in detail
                              - Are any users connecting to the network remotely? Describe how this occurs.
                              - The location of the database files on the machine acting as server
                              - The location where the runtime or developer program files are stored. i.e. the physical path on a typical workstation
                              - The windows explorer "Path" to the actual database files on the machine acting as server, as seen from a typical workstation

Spare no details

--tom

Comment

Working...
                              X