Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Set security in app full development vs runtime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set security in app full development vs runtime

At one time, a user (using runtime version) of our app could go in & change the security on a DBF, Form or report via the control panel. Thus they could customize the permissions on the various parts of our application based on user groups/users.

But now this is impossible. Is there is any workaround? If not, what do others do with an app with 55DBF's, + 100 forms & +100 reportse. Every user does not want the same generic permissions that we setup when the app went out?

Thanks.

Re: Set security in app full development vs runtime

You will probably have to create an Xdialog form to do this Dewayne.
    That's the way I did it in V11 so the users didn't get at the CP.
    See our Hybrid Option here;
    https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
    You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. We have no problem with them getting at the CP. But with the development version and CP, is an option to "set security" when you right click the dbf, form or report. This used to be there in the runtime.

Unsure of what you mean create a Xdialog form to do this. What wud the form look like? To be able to set security like the development version?

Comment

Yes, that's what I did. I'll try and send some details tomorrow. It's getting late this side of t'pond.

Comment

I created a seperate table for most permissions. Uses same users as alpha, buy has logicl fields for various permissions. These are loaded into global vars at startup. ONLY the admin can change or add to them.
          NOT perfect, but works
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

There is a method that I have used for years
            Each client's security using Alpha's is kept separately from the main app. Your app simply points to the security folder.
            Installed once and thereafter is the client's to use to control their own - that will never get overwritten by updates.
            Can be one db on the server for all OR each pc differently. Your app simply accesses that security db that has nothing in it but security info.

Comment

Could you please give a little more details on what your security db looks like. is it easy to see what permissions each group has on the various FORMS & DBF's? This used to be easy on the Control Panel in RUNTIME where the apps admin could change permissions for the group easy. This was removed on the runtime & now only on the development version. We did create a "generic" of groups with various permissions on forms & DBF's. The problem happens when a user wants to make a minor change to one groups permissions on one form. They do not want to buy the development version to do this.

Is there anyone out there who has a security group permission script for forms & DBF's that can be incorporated into an app using the runtime?

thanks for the help

Comment

The way I did it in v11 was to attach a Menu Option to a Button. In my case Settings/Security.
                Menu Options are selectable without the CP through an Operation - same way as you would select a report to run.
                Password protect the button and you should be good to go.
                Stan pointed out the ability to add menu options to a button many years ago as most people overlook or don't try it.
                All the options available can be selected even if not shown on the form.

Edit. Oops! I forgot all about sending a script. Apologies. I will put a note in my jobs file to do it.
                Last edited by Ted Giles; 07-21-2017, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. We do have something that works but it is very hard for a user to see what the permissions are vs what the developer can see for each group. Best explained in the 4 pics attached. As it is now a user needs to keep a spreadsheet or another file to tell what permissions is set on each group for the various FORMS & DBF's.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I think that you will need to explore either Dave's or Ray's option. Mine would only show the security setting options.

Comment

OK thanks......will have another look to see if Dave or Ray's options are any better than what I have now.

Comment

I will see if I can find the Alpha table which contains the settings for security. It might be possible to build a front end form, like you can with the Help system.
                        A5DOC accesses a lot of the tables you might have thought invisible, so it may be possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
                          I will see if I can find the Alpha table which contains the settings for security. It might be possible to build a front end form, like you can with the Help system.
                          A5DOC accesses a lot of the tables you might have thought invisible, so it may be possible.
                          Any help is appreciated. The only prob with our current security setup is the fact a user (admin) (using the runtime) finds it very hard to see what permissions are on what groups for forms & DBF's. If there was some way to print a report showing these, it would be fine.

Comment

Let's ask the question on the V11 Forum.

Comment

Email me and I may give you some other ideas with images to make it easier. I built my own security before alpha had one.
                              [email protected]
                              Possibly loan you an app just to see it for yourself. I still sell it online.
                              Car dealer application. multi-dealer and lots of locked users
                              Last edited by DaveM; 07-23-2017, 03:41 PM.
                              Dave Mason
                              [email protected]
                              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                              X