Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Parameters in Startup File

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parameters in Startup File

I am having a vexing problem with the startup file in Alpha Anywhere, Desktop version. I want to distribute an application with custom icons, title, and splash screen. My installer will allow a user to specify where he wants to install the application files, which is the problem. I can hard code the options in the startup file with the path to the icon and splash graphics, and that works just fine. Since my user will most likely have a different path, in that case it will not work. It seems that there is not a way to use Alpha functions in the startup, as I believe that the startup code runs during the initialization of the runtime, so Alpha functions and code are not available at that point.

For example:

This works:

-TITLE="RoadMAP CRM"
    -SPLASH="C:\Users\mpeir\Documents\RoadMAP\Graphics\RoadMAP_Logo.bmp"
    -ICON="C:\Users\mpeir\Documents\RoadMAP\Graphics\RoadMAP.ico"
    -MAXIMIZE

But this does not:

-TITLE="RoadMAP CRM"
    -SPLASH=A5.GET_PATH() + "\Graphics\RoadMAP_Logo.bmp"
    -ICON="A5.GET_PATH() + "\Graphics\RoadMAP.ico"
    -MAXIMIZE

If I have to, I can have the initial start of the application modify the startup file by using Alpha functions to get and write the correct path to the text file as needed. The only problem with that approach is that it still does not have the initial program run show the information that I want.

I also note that the Alpha Anywhere V12 developer actually names the startup file similar to "RoadMAP 0_RoadMAP CRM.startup", while it seems that the old naming of "startup.txt" still works.

Any thoughts on how to approach this?

Mack Peirson
    RoadMAP CRM LLC

Re: Parameters in Startup File

Malcom,
    I use astrum installer where you can have it create the startup on the desktop.

When this was installed on another computer:
    \\Dave1\c\davepwds\mypwds.exe
    start in:
    \\Dave1\c\davepwds

mypwds.exe is a .exe file compiled with all other startup options in it, but is located in the runtime folder.

This app has been downloaded many times and so far has installed perfectly.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave,

Thanks, I figured that I would have to resort to using one of the install programs to handle setting the parameters. Turns out that Astrum did just fine for me, all I needed to do was use the <Installdir> alias in the icon command line at the appropriate places, and it works. I couldn't hard code the command line, since I have a number of testers who chose "other than standard" places to install their copies of my RoadMAP application. One even has a sub-directory called "Programs" under his Documents directory that he likes to use! Needed to have the screen icon, name and splash screen work no matter what a user chooses to install to.

Even so, it is too bad that Alpha Anywhere Runtime cannot buffer the command lines from the Startup.txt file and then use them during its own startup. As it is, without the INCLUDE directive, you need to be careful of how long a command line is used or generated. Maybe if Alpha Software hadn't decided to basically move on from the desktop versions of the environment...

I do have quite a number of potential users for this CRM program that I have built that have no desire at all to have their data on the cloud, and many are one-person operations, so a desktop program that will run on a laptop or 2-in-1 machine is a desirable choice for them.

Mack Peirson
      RoadMAP CRM

Comment

Same here with the passwords app. I have it either for web use or for desktop. Almost all choose desktop.
        I have already distributed over 1500 apps using astrum.
        Some are free
        You can also make 2 installs and combine them into 1 overall install.
        Last edited by DaveM; 04-21-2017, 12:03 PM.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
        X