Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Monday Morning Grumble - Alphapedia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Morning Grumble - Alphapedia

Maybe it's just me. Or maybe it's not. Back when I saw word of the Wiki-based Alphapedia, I thought, hey... finally I'll be able to locate answers to my questions without having to post to the forum.

Unfortunately, it's not (for me, anyway) turning out to be much of a resource for on-demand answers. As with the web-based online help system, I feel there are far too many results returned on any given query.

For example, this morning I needed to review the procedure for uploading files to the WAS via web page. The title of the page I hoped to find (having finally located it) is "Uploading Files to the Application Server". But the keywords in my head were (roughly) "upload" "file" "application server". That's fair, isn't it?

So, into Alphapedia I typed my keywords. The result? Over 300 entries returned. This, in my view, is not quite as helpful as it could be. I am increasingly frustrated when, upon seeing 5, 10, 15, or more screens of 25 "pages" returned, I waste my time browsing through 2/3rds of the pages to finally locate the information I seek.

There have been comments (complaints) before about A5 documentation. I don't see Alphapedia as an improvement for on-demand information (note that I do qualify that with "on-demand", for I think it is a perfectly suitable resource for staying up to date on a general basis).

So I grumble... maybe it's the decaf... Or am I perhaps missing something, and not utilizing the search functions as efficiently as I might?

Re: Monday Morning Grumble - Alphapedia

Originally posted by fsi View Post
    So I grumble... maybe it's the decaf... Or am I perhaps missing something, and not utilizing the search functions as efficiently as I might?
    Well, I drink real caffeine and it don't work no better for me. Add to that the fact that there are a half-dozen input boxes, so it's always a guess on to which to use to get the results you are looking for.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

"The info is there if you know where to look!"

And that to me is the fundamental problem. The number of times I have searched on the Alphapedia AND on here for that matter using search words I THINK should find what I need and come up empty. Eventually I might stumble on what I need.

The added problem for me is that I "think" in English rather than American. It must be just as hard for our antipodean friends!
      Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Yeah, Peter, that's given me pause to laugh once or twice... which box do I type into? Then, on top of that, there is the default selection of Exact Match! Are you kidding me? I mean, chances are pretty good that if I had that firm a grasp - to be able to determine exact match - I'd probably not need to do the search in the first place.

And, yes, Glen, I agree the information is there. Somewhere. Hiding in one corner or another. Or under the carpet. Or behind that bookcase. Unfortunately, it seems finding the information is often 99% of the battle.

Comment

I certainly lament the loss in the wiki of an index which I still use in the old Help file probably 80% of the time vs. the search capability. The index gives me a better chance of discovering similar terms that might have the real answer to my question.

That is one reason I still like physical technical books - since there is no search, they must go to the expense of providing an index.

Bill.

Comment

Drinking diet coke here so not sure where I fit in on the caf but all the other statements fit me to the 'T'.

Have had the same frustration and takes me a long time to find what I need as well.

If I think of Alphapedia as a local library;
            Search is more of a pointer to one "Quarter of the library" than the book, you still have to look for the book and then find the page yourself.
            I would be happy just to get it narrowed down to "the information you need is in a book within five feet of where you stand" type thing.

Comment

I agree, I have always say that the biggest problem with alpha documentation is not the quantity or quality of it, the problem is the search engine used to find an specific part of the documentation.

I would like to see some kind of Tagging mechanism where people could contribute with Key words and there could be a Key Word search, Take "Last FM" for example tagging/categorizing correctly all those different kinds of music could seem impossible but the contribution of the people has made it possible and very accurate in my opinion.
              Cheers
              Mauricio

Comment

We have free tags in the Wiki. Nobody was using them, so we turned off the tag cloud display. They are still there, however.

I made a video about how to search the wiki. It's near the bottom of the home page. Have you viewed it? Did it help?

I always search by the page name first. The drop-downs often get me where I'm going. If my first try gives me nothing, I'll open up the search.

If I need full-text search I usually use the find box at the top of the page. If that returns an overwhelming number of results and I don't see what I want in the first page, I sometimes try the Google search, and sometimes try adjusting my keywords.

We tried hiding the Google search to make it less confusing, but people complained that they preferred the Google search.

Comment

Antipodean. Damn, I got to use that in a sentence today!
                  Tommy Thompson
                  Thompson Consulting Services
                  Beautiful Kentucky Lake, Springville, TN 38256
                  [email protected]

Comment

Martin, How can I add a new Tag?

Thanks
                    Cheers
                    Mauricio

Comment

I just changed the permissions so that you (and any registered user) can add tags. You should now see a Freetags box in the right-hand column.

Comment

I just see an add comment button at the bottom that doesn't works but im not able to see the free tag label

Edit: I do see a section that says freetag editor but is just a label not a link or anything
                        Cheers
                        Mauricio

Comment

Go to a page other than the home page. Add comment should work, and you should see "Freetags editor" on the right under "Featured Articles".

If add comment doesn't work, go to your preferences (http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/tiki-user_preferences.php) and make sure that your Theme is "Site default".

If the right-hand column isn't showing, click on the <> symbol at the top right above "Email this page".

Comment

thanks Martin changing the theme did the job
                            Cheers
                            Mauricio

Comment

Working...
                            X