Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to do "add record only" with upload button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to do "add record only" with upload button

I have a little grid for adding records, so I can put it on an "Add" button. The records have a file upload button. I want to use "add record only" so it shows only the record being added, but we have to save a record before uploading, and when we save in a grid with "add record only" it disappears (because it's "new record only", I assume it's submitting and popping up another new record).

So - what's a girl to do?

Is there a way to show only the new record row, without using "add record only" so it doesn't disappear upon save? I tried putting 0 for records, and that makes the grid read-only.

Or - to have it be "add record only", but have that new record stay available upon save?

clean_scree.png

expanded.png
    Last edited by WendyWelton; 10-04-2011, 10:12 AM. Reason: pics wrong order
    Wendy Welton
    Architect
    past & future Alphaholic - deliberately falling off the wagon!

http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Re: How to do "add record only" with upload button

You may be able to achieve this with a detail view.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...en-it-is-saved

Comment

Thanks. You've confirmed what I thought - that it's not easily done.

I've solved my problem by using containers with show/hide to control how much stuff is visible, and duplicates of fields via calculated expressions to let me show updateable fields as labels - let's the primary grid be updateable and still clean looking.
      Wendy Welton
      Architect

Comment

This "sounds" good but could you explain this just a little more. I get what you are doing from a show / hide standpoint but the rest is a little foggy.

Thanks!

Comment

or redirect to the upload page with the id - after the submit.
          Al Buchholz
          Bookwood Systems, LTD
          Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
          Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
          "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
          Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Originally posted by Al Buck View Post
            This "sounds" good but could you explain this just a little more. I get what you are doing from a show / hide standpoint but the rest is a little foggy.

Thanks!
            I don't remember exactly! I'll look later when my computer isn't busy raytracing a new home design.

I know I put a show/hide on the Image Upload button so it doesn't show until you can actually use it. The issue I was having was that you can't upload until you've saved the file. My clients and staff (ok, and me too) all found we'd forget, push the Image Upload button and get yelled at by the computer. You'd think we'd learn, but we don't. We're thinking about our actual work while we work, not which button to do first. So, my solution was to just not have it visible until it was appropriate to push it.
            Wendy Welton
            Architect

Comment

I think I get hiding the button. The trick is, as you know, keeping the grid from going to the next record after the row is saved (update-able grid).

I'm sure there is a "xbasic way" (write some code) to handle this. Just wondering if there is a way for those of us who are not fluent in xbasic to accomplish this...

Comment

Yes hide the button and...
                I will send a video shortly..
                Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

As this will be of assistance to many - I am going to use a new post the explain the solution. Look for How to Auto Save - Then image upload.
                  Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                  Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                  US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

OK - here's my little video - http://www.screencast.com/t/ZiUe6Cpn

It shows:
                    • Show/Hide on the Image Upload button, for the record not being dirty
                    • A copy record button with a built-in record save, so the Image Upload is then immediately available
                    • Full Page record update, so the newly created record doesn't run to the back of the list

And here's some screen shots as well:

Photo_upload_1.png
                    Photo_upload_2.png
                    Photo_upload_3.png
                    Photo_upload_4.png

btw - Ignore those Containers - they don't do a thing in a Tabular grid. I had it as a Form type but then decided I needed the ability to sort and never took them out. Ooops!

That on-blur in Pete's video is very cool. I didn't know what on-blur was! I may very well incorporate that at some point also. I have two required fields, so I'll have to look at how that might work to remove the need for a Save, and if it makes sense in a case like this where we have several information fields. It would certainly be my preference in a case without those fields.
                    Last edited by WendyWelton; 10-23-2011, 10:54 AM.
                    Wendy Welton
                    Architect

Comment

What happened to the "add only" portion of this?

Nice video, but it's not add only....
                      Al Buchholz
                      Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                      Albert Einstein

Comment

I never figured out Add Only. Because a New Record Only grid has the record disappear as soon as it's saved, I determined that I'd be old and grey before I slayed that dragon. I was looking for Add Only to deal with the new record disappearing out of view when saved, which was confusing the crap out of me, much less my clients. So, I slayed that dragon instead.

Sorry! Maybe Pete Conway has some clever tricks up his sleeve...
                        Wendy Welton
                        Architect

Comment

Originally posted by WendyWelton View Post
                          I never figured out Add Only.
                          This works for me...

Originally posted by Al Buchholz View Post
                          Al Buchholz
                          Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

I believe you! I guess I just moved on after I found something that met my needs in another way. I'd bet, however, that other folks would appreciate a little video or some screen shots showing more fully how you do that. I know I wouldn't necessarily get there from just that short description.
                            Wendy Welton
                            Architect

Comment

Hello Allan, can you please show how this is done. Thanks.
                              Originally posted by Al Buchholz View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X