Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

v11 losing filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v11 losing filters

i have started using trial of v11 and have am working on my app which was built in v10.

none of the filters i have set in v10 are working in v11.

is there something i need to do?

thanks

richard

Re: v11 losing filters

you need to be more specific about what you mean.

v10 apps will generally run unchanged in v11 (except for a specific set of breaking changes that are documented in the wiki)

Comment

i have a link field in a grid which will open another page in the app which has a grid i want to filter.

the URL filters the grid in the called page.

hope i have explained this well enough. i can send you login details to access the site and see what imean if that helps.

Comment

can you show an example of the URL filter you are using?

if the URL is trying to set the value of a session variable that will not work in v11 because session variables can no longer by dynamically set in a query string.

this is documented in the breaking changes section of the wiki. the reason why the change was made is also documented.

Comment

that will be the reason. ill check the wiki.

thanks

Comment

ok, i had a look at the wiki, and found this

Session Variables cannot be created directly from a request query string or POST body. This negates the need to use "protected" session variables, as all session variables are now effectively "protected". In order to create a session variable, you must execute A5W code to read the request variable and create or set the session variable. A request for a URL such as http://localhost/index.a5w?session.name=John will not create a session variable session.name as it previously would have. Instead, it will create a request variable which may be accessed as Request.Variables.session.name during the lifetime of that request only.
            i generally had been setting variables through the url so this is new to me and i could do with a little help or an example of what i need to do here.

i used this in the main after completing a search for a customer, the clicking a button to open another page filtered to the selected customer. at the same time i created session variables to be used whilst working on this customer.

where i am now confused is how do i now set the session variables? and do i still access them as i currently do which is mainly through grid arguments?

Comment

Richard, I may be corrected by someone more in the know, but I believe local variables can still be passed and set using the URL, just not session variables. So you could still do http://localhost/index.a5w?name=John. Session variables can be set using Xbasic, in an a5w page, in server-side code in a grid or dialog, etc, just using something like session.Username = "John". And session variables remain useful throughout the life of the user's session, so you can set most of these shortly after a session is started and they're available until Xbasic set them to a different value or the user's session ends.

Comment

i could really do with some help, I have spent all morning trying to work this out. i understand that i cant set a sesison variable in the URL.

i have a grid of records
                a field in the grid 'case_parent_id' i made a link to open a new page (grid filtered to the session variable)
                i want to pass the value of the field 'case_parent_id' from the selected record to the session variable

i have tried to set it in the serverside events 'ongridexecute'

dim sesison.caseparent
                session.caseparent = e.rtc.case_parent_id

trust me, i have read lots of posts, searched the wiki, looked at videos and i cant find anything to help me complete what i think should be a really simple task.

thanks for looking

Comment

it works fine if i do this;

dim session.caseparent
                  session.caseparent = "123456"

so all i think i am missing is how to reference the field value

dim session.caseparent
                  session.caseparent = my field place holder

can anyone help, ive just spent $599. i had this working great in v10 but the session variables were being set through the URL

Comment

Originally posted by richard2007 View Post
                    it works fine if i do this;

dim session.caseparent
                    session.caseparent = "123456"

so all i think i am missing is how to reference the field value

dim session.caseparent
                    session.caseparent = my field place holder

can anyone help, ive just spent $599. i had this working great in v10 but the session variables were being set through the URL

the ongridexecute event fires before any part of the grid is rendered - so it would be impossible to use this event to get a value of field in this event.

typically when you want to set a session variable to the value of a field in the grid you use an ajax callback. when the callback executes values from the current grid row are available to the xbasic code, so it is then easy to set the session variable to a value of a field in the current grid row.

Comment

Have you tried page variables?
                      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                      Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                      US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                        Have you tried page variables?
                        i need the value to be available throughout many pages.

i havent done any ajax yet, but did try to get a value using the onclick event of a button. - session.caseparent = {javascript}function(rowNum) { return {grid.object}.getValue('G','CASE_PARENT_ID',rowNum); }(rowNum)

but was getting an error - Error expanding Grid Part template: Variable "javascript" not found.

Comment

you don't need to do this. the ajax callback will automatically make available all data from the current row.

i suggest you watch video number 66

http://news.alphasoftware.com/v11preview/videos_v11.htm

Comment

ive viewed all 4 videos from number 66 and i now understand that creating an ajax callback can make the values from the current row available.

i think that i can access these value by using e.CurrentRowDataNew.case_parent_id, so i would assume that to set the session variable i would put this somewhere

dim session.caseparent as c
                            session.caseparent = e.CurrentRowDataNew.case_parent_id
                            however i dont know where to place this.

My grid is read only. i did add debug(1) to the xbasic function but when the debug window opens no values are available - see attached imagedebug_screen.jpg

this is integral to my app, as there are many child tables and web pages once a record (customer) has been selected at this stage, so i need this session variable to be available throughout most of the app.

thanks for the help.

Comment

perhaps this will help you

http://screencast.com/t/WuOW4JQFTHF

Comment

Working...
                              X