Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Software Updates - Any chance of adding the version to the file name? See attached.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software Updates - Any chance of adding the version to the file name? See attached.

Versions.PNG
    Carl ~ Dallas, TX
    I'm so old that pool balls came with Roman Numerals

Re: Software Updates - Any chance of adding the version to the file name? See attach

Good Idea. I always do that manually.

Comment

Re: Software Updates - Any chance of adding the version to the file name? See attach

Has my vote, I file the updates in named folders, but I sure would appreciate the named approach, particularly as the file properties dialog does not identify the file version.

Comment

That would get my vote also. I've been doing that manually as well.
        Wendy Welton
        Architect
        past & future Alphaholic - deliberately falling off the wagon!

http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Comment

A really great idea...I have a testy collection of update files going back to the early days of V10.

Comment

But all of the patches dating back to the first are available on the patch site. Why would you store any of them other than the latest just to distribute?
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

I store all of the patches for Alpha5 locally. A website may be unreachable for several reasons outside of my control. By storing them locally I eliminate this possibility.
              Andrew

Comment

....and Alpha, like most companies, will eventually not have them available....and is conceivable that various clients will have to use different builds dependent upon their needs and possible issues of each build.

There are also times where you have to go back in builds to find one which satisfies the need of a feature, but does not have a certain issue that comes up in a later build (or vice-versa). Having them stored is easier is all to do this.

Just another couple of reasons I think that justifies saving more than just the latest.
                Mike

Comment

This has been asked for over and over, but in 15 years of using Alpha Five, I've never needed it. Really now, what's the chance the internet will be down at the same time you need a prior build? If the internet is down, can you get to your server anywhay? If you are worried about the latest build having a problem, then don't download it for a week or so. Watch the board and if there's a problem, it will be listed there. That way you never have to go back to a prior build.

If you have a feature that used to work, and now it doesn't, it was probably a bug that you were exploiting. Don't expect Alpha to reintroduce the bug! Just find another way. In alpha there are at least 4 ways of doing anything.
                  Pat Bremkamp
                  MindKicks Consulting

Comment

I create a named folder for each release. I find it easier this way.

Comment

It's no big deal to add the version to your download. But I agree that it's not a bad idea to keep patches of any version you think that you may need to go back to. Nothing in this world is permanent - least of all the Internet. I'm especially concerned about those videos. The only reason I haven't downloaded them all (both v10 & v11) is due to space considerations. In this day of financial instability and massive national debt, where even huge conglomerates go down overnight, where the DOW gyrates wildly by hundreds of points any given day, a small company like Alpha could disappear in a flash! That's not a criticism of Alpha, it's just a reality of economic and business life today.
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                        It's no big deal to add the version to your download. But I agree that it's not a bad idea to keep patches of any version you think that you may need to go back to. Nothing in this world is permanent - least of all the Internet. I'm especially concerned about those videos. The only reason I haven't downloaded them all (both v10 & v11) is due to space considerations. In this day of financial instability and massive national debt, where even huge conglomerates go down overnight, where the DOW gyrates wildly by hundreds of points any given day, a small company like Alpha could disappear in a flash! That's not a criticism of Alpha, it's just a reality of economic and business life today.
                        I've often thought of this and totally agree! (But wouldn't there be chaos regardless, due to installs needing validation from the Alpha servers anyways?) Seriously: This is a huge concern for me at my place of business (for all critical software.) ~ Consequently, I have one rule of thumb I follow religiously when implementing software solutions:

If software needs remote server validations for installation, I won't use it, period. I find another solution.
                        Only exception to this is for MS products. Because, if they ever were to "go down" ~ well, it's all over...... end of line....

(It's all about risk management & minimizing potential problems.)

The deeper I delve int a5, the more I should pay attention to this. If Alpha servers were ever to go down, wouldn't it be all over for all of us the moment we replaced our aging hardware? I don't know why, when or how frequently Alpha installations actually check for validation. (Or whether they always "phone home" when restoring a windows image to new hardware using tools like Acronis, or Storagecraft ShadowProtect.) ~ via hardware independent / bare metal restore...... But even if this is not an issue on the desktop, what about the web server component and or unlimited desktop runtimes? They all "phone home", right?
                        Last edited by SNusa; 01-31-2012, 04:49 PM.
                        Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
                        It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
                        RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

If software needs remote server validations for installation, I won't use it, period. I find another solution.
                          Only exception to this is for MS products. Because, if they ever were to "go down" ~ well, it's all over...... end of line....
                          But you are an Alpha Five user? Their Developer and Web Server both require remote server validation. Developer must be remotely activated within 30 days and Web Server must be activated immediately upon install. If you want to move either to some new location, you need to remotedly de-activate and re-activate at the new location.
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Too funny... I can just hear the dinosaurs saying the same thing as they watched the meteor. Well... I guess for them it was all over. Still... here we are.

I have a feeling we'd all survive if MS went down. Crap... I'd have to go back to WordPerfect... yikes!

As for the versions, I just add the numbers to the end of the filename when I save... no big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                              But you are an Alpha Five user? Their Developer and Web Server both require remote server validation. Developer must be remotely activated within 30 days and Web Server must be activated immediately upon install. If you want to move either to some new location, you need to remotedly de-activate and re-activate at the new location.
                              Sort of.... But thus far, my involvement with Alpha has been mostly a "hobby" (as sick as it may seem to most.) I just recently built a point rewards online tool for my business patrons who used it all last season. (It's in place, and works fine, but isn't fully finished as I envision it.)

I'll tell you this though: If I wanted to build a custom POS system (mission critical) that I needed to "stand the test of time" ~ I'd be very hesitant to use Alpha. Albeit slower to develop with, I would be thinking Dev Studio. (which is a beast) ~I think this whole topic touches upon a serious potential threat that has very deep implications. ~ Nothing lasts forever. God forbid, what would happen to Alpha if they ever lost Richard &/or Selwyn? ~ I much prefer supporting small companies, BUT they don't have the "immortality" of companies like Microsoft / Apple / Oracle / Ford / Chevrolet etc........ Even people were concerned with Apple when we lost Steve Jobs......

And Peter G. is right. Even companies that I consider to be large go "kaboom." ~ They're just less likely to do so.
                              (And apparently unless you're GM, the government certainly isn't going to help you out.) ~ Which (IMHO) was wrong on so many different levels anyways, but now I'm way off topic.
                              Last edited by SNusa; 01-31-2012, 05:12 PM.
                              Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
                              It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
                              RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

Working...
                              X