Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Image gallery component

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image gallery component

I'm missing something. When you create a new IG component it has a default directory called "Images" which somehow magically points to:

C:\Program Files\a5V11\3rdPartyWebComponentSupportFiles\imageGallery\Images

How does the IGC know where to look?
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Re: Image gallery component

Hhhmmm... so what's happening is that any folder located under C:\Program Files\a5V11\3rdPartyWebComponentSupportFiles\imageGallery\ automatically gets copied as a folder to live preview. That's why "Images" as a "directory" works since it is looking for the folder under the a5webroot\livepreview folder. That was obvious right? But it still doesn't work unless you have a subfolder called "thumbs". You can even copy the full size images directly into the thumbs folder and the IGC will automatically size them to thumbnail size correctly. Now that I spent two hours figuring that out, it would have been nice if the IGS jiffy help would have simply told us that.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Thanks Peter - I too have been experimenting with this. Did not realize it would re-size the Thumbs folder images automatically, thanks. I have issues with IE 8, it displays the images in a left justified column then freezes up. I am testing with about 20 images and they display on the bottom in Firefox 7.0.1 as shown in the video. Have anyone seen this?

Comment

The IGC was originally designed for a Mobile Webkit browser and adopted for use on desktop browsers. As such, it uses some CSS3 and HTML5 that requires, at a minimum, the current release of IE which is IE9. It runs best on the desktop with Safari or Chrome. When IE10 ships, it should be on par (according to everything I have read) with the Webkit browsers. That should be true on mobile as well.

While the IGC will display the images in the thumbs directory at 75 x 75 pixels, it is a complete waste of bandwidth and resources to load a full size image into the thumbs directory. You should size the thumbnails at 75 x 75 pixels for optimum load times. You will most likely crash a mobile browser if you don't.

The open source ImageMagick program can easily do bulk resizing of images.

The larger images (recommended sizing is 1024 x 768 px) must be placed within a directory accessible from the web root and that directory must have a sub folder called thumbs that has the 75 x 75px sized images with the exact same name as the parent.

For Live Preview, the images in the directory you specify for the default directory within the component properties will be copied into the Live Preview folder so that you will see a Live Preview of the component with your images. If you tie the IGC to a parent, say a grid component and have bound the directory as an argument to a field in the grid, then those images will not show up within Live Preview since that directory has most likely not been copied into the Live Preview folder. Of course you can do this on your own.
        Bob Moore

Comment

Thanks Bob. That's quite helpful. This is exactly the information that needs to be spelled out in the IGC itself.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

I cannot get any positive results using the image gallery component. Having all the trouble mentioned on this and other threads.

I would suggest you get rid of the feature that uses Alpha demo data as a default as it is self defeating.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

I've been playing quite a bit with the igc during the beta. It works rather nice for me now. What trouble do you have ? For Live preview I suggest you delete all files in your webroot folder of your developer machine. Then if you start out a new igc it immediately should work.
              Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Problems upon creating a brand new Image Gallery component:
                • Changing Default Image Directory to anything other than "Images" causes a javascript error.
                • It completely ignores that I have set up Data Binding, continues to show the demo images.
                • The biggest abuse is immediately upon creating the Image Gallery component it copies all of the demo images including thumbs to my live projects's images folder (my project, not just the LivePreview folder). If I delete them, it just re-copies them in next time I open the componet.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

I got this to work -- this information might help anyone getting started with the Image Gallery component. Use it in addition to other instructions and video.
                  • You must create a folder named �thumbs� under the folder that contains the images you wish to display.
                  • The name of each thumb image must be exactly the same as corresponding image in the parent folder.
                  • Create this image and thumbs folder structure BEFORE you create a new Image Gallery component. You cannot enter this folder in the Default Images Directory property unless this folder, including the thumbs subfolder, already exists in your project folder � otherwise it will generate a Javascript error.
                  • Whenever you create or re-open an existing Image Gallery component, Alpha will automatically copy in all of the A5 demo images into your project. (I hope Alpha stops this from happening.)
                  • The data binding is used only to provide a text Description to an image [at least for now]. If an image folder + image name is found in the table along with a description, the description will appear in the Info panel.
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

When you create a new IG component or open an existing one, it always copies more than a dozen A5 demo images into your project images folder. After you run the demo once and know how the IG component works, this is pretty unnecessary. If you want to stop it from doing this, you can purge all files at C:\Program Files\a5V11\3rdPartyWebComponentSupportFiles\imageGallery\Images. When you do this, the demo images will no longer be copied to your project. It also will stop LivePreview from displaying the demo images. This comes with some penalty -- if you create a IG component, you must ensure your project does in fact have a folder as named in the Default Image Directory property (typically "Images"), including a subfolder named thumbs. If you don't, the component will generate a Javascript error. Obviously I am not suggesting this to novice users, be sure you know what it means to purge these files.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

I had problem after problem trying to use the component. I finally got it to work (sort of) by placing the entire path in the Default Directory (C:\A5Webroot\PublicImages). Kind of lame that this is not remarked anywhere in the demos. One would be led to believe that just entering "PublicImages" in place of the "Images" in that line would suffice so long as the PublicImages folder resides in the webroot folder. Grr... Still having that same problem mentioned by others - in live preview I see my thumbnails in a single column, left aligned beneath the selected/full size image.

I verified my IE, Firefox and Chrome are all the most current versions, yet when I run the gallery component in any of these, I get the endless load icon with no images populating other than borders where thumbs should be and the thumb filename on hover. Anyone had this issue and resolved it???

Comment

Working...
                      X