Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

CurrentGridFilter() not working in v11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CurrentGridFilter() not working in v11

I am trying to filter a report based on search criteria of a grid.
    Both grid and report are using the same dataset and when I specify the filter as CurrentGridFilter() the report is generated ignoring the filter.

I have also tried this with opening a child grid and likewise the filter is ignored.

Has anyone else experienced this ?

I used this in v10.5 and had it working

Re: CurrentGridFilter() not working in v11

Yes, that has happened to me. I found the problem to be a setting I had made. Go through each of the components, any where you might have set a temporary filter. If it was working previously, think back to what you did and where you did it. This could be in a button as well, that's where I found my problem. Happy hunting.
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Sorry, CurrentGridFilter() just does not work in V11.
      Reed Brown
      ITOT Solutions, Inc.
      Alpha v12

Comment

My setup is a grid on the desktop (Client side) I filter the report by choosing a record in the grid and then print the report for that particular record. It can depend somewhat on how the report is set up. Using CurrentGridFilter() for both is probably what's throwing the wrench into the spokes. Do the filter on the grid and base the report on the record by creating a button which will open a Report, label or Letter component (Action Javascript). It's just a matter of connecting the dots, so to speak. That's how I do my reports.

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

I have no problem with currentgrid filter() in sql but it does not work for me with dbf.
          Reed Brown
          ITOT Solutions, Inc.
          Alpha v12

Comment

I actually went back and tried to troubleshoot the issue.

Eventually it started working again. I have no clue what had caused it to break in the first place. But now I have it working with a SQL connection.

Comment

I had no problem in SQL, works great. Doing the same thing with a DBF is what gives me problems. I gave up.
              Reed Brown
              ITOT Solutions, Inc.
              Alpha v12

Comment

Originally posted by reedallenbrown View Post
                I had no problem in SQL, works great. Doing the same thing with a DBF is what gives me problems. I gave up.
                So do I. No details, no suggestions. Sorry

Comment

I am now having a similar problem with CurrentGridFilter() but I found at least one case in which it works OK with V11, which I am using.

Here's what I found (also posted on this forum at http://tinyurl.com/78zlkcs ):

I have a Grid Button that launches (via the OnClick event) a Report based on a Set consisting of two real .dbf tables joinrd on a common field. The Master in the set has far fewer rows than the Child.

The "filter" is set in the Button's OnClick event to be CurrentGridFilter()

The Grid Button works as expected on all the rows (i.e., no active Search) but throws this error (similar to the one further above) when it's trying to crank out the .pdf pop-up window based on any kind of Search.

Report did not print. Error reported was:

Layout name: rpt_Phemail@C:\Alpha5\A5_BCRVS\set_supl_mstr.set
                  Layout type: report
                  Invalid report filter expression: '(((smatch(alltrim(Last_name),"*martin*"))))'.

A similar Button on another Grid, using a different but basically similar report , works just fine fine with any Search.

Note that a single, real table was used as the Report That Works source and not a set (virtual table).

Has anyone found a solution to this or have an idea where to look?

Thanks

Comment

How is the set configured? Say you have a report based on a set where the parent is Customers and the child is invoices and linked 1:M. If you're wanting the report to show invoice information, you should switch the tables so the Customer is the child and the Invoices table is the parent, linked 1:1. That is much easier for creating a report and filtering, etc. If you have more than two tables in the set, how the set is configured might be the problem.

Just a thought,

kenn

Comment

I partially found the answer for myself at least. You won't like it either:

CurrentGridFilter() FAILS on a Report in a Grid where:
                      (1) The Report (usually launched by a Button) is based on a Set of two tables, a Master and Child, and
                      (2) A Grid Search is active which includes one or more fields from the Child.

CurrentGridFilter() works OK on a Report in a Grid where:
                      (A) A Grid Search on one or more Master fields is active.
                      (B) A Report is used which looks at a single, real .dbf table.

Ugly, but now you know.

Comment

I doubt the button has anything to do with the problem. Like I said, it depends on how the set is configured. If I understand correctly, I would reverse the tables in the set so that the search part is searching the parent, not the child. Then, your report is based on the same set.

kenn

Comment

Originally posted by forskare View Post
                          I doubt the button has anything to do with the problem. Like I said, it depends on how the set is configured. If I understand correctly, I would reverse the tables in the set so that the search part is searching the parent, not the child. Then, your report is based on the same set.
                          kenn
                          Thanks - I'll try that a little later. My expectation is that, since there are Search Fields defined for columns from both Parent and Child Tables in the Set, that it will still be impossible for CurrentGridFilter() to work when a Search is active that has parameters from both Tables in the Set.

Dan

Comment

If I understand correctly, you are trying to search two tables with the same button click. Although I haven't seen your setup, my guess is Alpha is confused by the 2 table search. The best method here is the KISS method. Keep your search as simple as possible, hence, less mistakes and confusion.

kenn

Comment

Originally posted by forskare View Post
                              If I understand correctly, you are trying to search two tables with the same button click. Although I haven't seen your setup, my guess is Alpha is confused by the 2 table search. The best method here is the KISS method. Keep your search as simple as possible, hence, less mistakes and confusion.
                              kenn
                              I must have a very flawed concept of what a 'Set' really is in Alpha5. I always thought it was a virtual flat table whose data winked into existence, on the fly, whenever it's name was 'spoken' by some programmed event.

In MS-Access, any given Query seems to simultaneously exist as two entities: The SQL text of the Query and the result-set of data it produces. One can freely mix a Table and a Query within the FROM clause of an other Query, as if both were "real" tables.

I just figured that an Alpha5 Set was like the virtual data-face (table) of an Access Query.

My Report looks at a single Set, comprised of a One-to-Many relationship between two tables: a Parent and a Child.
                              My Grid looks at the same two real Tables as the Set. A Button on the Grid launches the Report.

It just seems reasonable to me that CurrentGridFilter() should be able to look at the rows in a post-Search Grid, translate it into whatever query-like process it needs, extract the appropriate rows from the Set, and finally to extrude the matching rows from the Set through the Report to yield the report-specified columns and sort.

So what is a 'Set' - actually - in the Alpha5 universe?

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X