Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Fusion Charts Page Display: LocalHost via Alpha Five

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fusion Charts Page Display: LocalHost via Alpha Five

Not sure how many out there are using Fusion but.....

I have just started looking at Fusion Charts for Free and am testing what I can do with it in Version 11.

So, I created an XML file using Crystal Reports (generating a text file with SQL data populating the appropriate sets and categories). I created a web page that contains the Fusion / Flash script (I'm using the JavaScript option) and placed it in the location occupied by my localhost test V11 environment. The charts are in their own Fusion Charts folder in the webroot.

If I double click the file, the page opens up correctly and displays the chart.

I added the page as an option in a TabbedUI and published it to the same location. When I click the item, the page opens BUT I get the dreaded Error in Loading Data message ie the chart/swf has been found but the function cannot locate the XML data when I launch it in the Alpha Five local host.

I have been experimenting by copying the XML data to every folder I can think of and changing the web page accordingly. Each time, the page loads successfully when I double-click it, but I always get the Error in Loading Data error when I launch it from Alpha Five.

I've searched the Fusion Charts forum but to no avail and read through their help pages, so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

I'm betting this has more to do with the localhost versus actual folder location than with Alpha Five itself but I'm stuck!

This is the html of the page:

<head>
    <script language="JavaScript" src="../FusionCharts/FusionCharts.js"></script>
    </head>
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <div id="chartdiv" align="center">The chart will appear within this DIV. This text will be replaced by the chart.</div>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var myChart = new FusionCharts("../FusionCharts/FCF_Column3D.swf", "myChartId", "600", "500");
    myChart.setDataURL("FusionTest01.xml");
    myChart.render("chartdiv");
    </script>
    </body>
    </html>

The chart is in:

C:\A5Webroot\A5Version11\FusionCharts

The data is, currently, in:

C:\A5Webroot\A5Version11

This URL works:

C:\A5Webroot\A5Version11\Chart01-FCF_Column3D.html

This, generated from the Alpha Five TabbedUI, does not:

http://localhost/A5Version11/Chart01-FCF_Column3D.html

Thanks in advance for any pointers and I apologise if this doesn't really belong in the Version 11 forum.

Regards

Bob

Re: Fusion Charts Page Display: LocalHost via Alpha Five

I just tried some charts on A5W pages in a tabbedUI, and they work fine in localhost.

Start simpler. Hard-code a chart on a page, put it in the tabbedUI and see if that works. Then gradually work you way out to the setup you want. Start with something like this:

Code:
       <div id="chartContainer">FusionCharts will load here!</div>          
        <script type="text/javascript"><!--         
    	var myChart = new FusionCharts("FusionCharts/Column3D.swf", 
    	"myChartId", "400", "300", "0", "1" );
    	myChart.setXMLData("<chart caption='Weekly Sales Summary' xAxisName='Week' " +
    		"yAxisName='Sales' numberPrefix='$'>" +
    		"<set label='Week 1' value='14400' />" +
    		"<set label='Week 2' value='19600' />" +
    		"<set label='Week 3' value='24000' />" +
    		"<set label='Week 4' value='15700' />" +
    		"</chart>");
          myChart.render("chartContainer");
        // -->     
        </script>

You'll also find that the newer FusionCharts javascript files don't do well if they're in a subfolder of the webroot. Move all your FusionCharts javascript files to the webroot.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for the response - I had already managed to process the in page charts in both direct page open and via a tabbed ui. It's the access to the xml data that seems to be causing the problem.

I stripped everything out this morning and basically placed everything in the root folder, changing the html and script accordingly and had the same result, ie I only had success opening by double-clicking the html page and not via the tabbed ui, getting the Error Loading Data message.

What I am attempting to create is the following process:

Data for the chart xml is stored in SQL Server tables, maintained by multiple Alpha Five applications
      Crystal Reports would read the tables and create a text file formatted to look like the xml input to the charts
      The Crystal Reports would then be scheduled to run at periodic times to update the xml data files, overwriting where necessary (they don't need to be real time)
      Web pages with chart components within the Alpha environemnt would then render the charts, using the latest xml data.

This process seems to work successfully except for the issue with the error in the tabbed ui or local host environment. I can't get it to work within my development Alpha Five space.

This is the html:

html>
      <head>
      <script language="JavaScript" src="FusionCharts.js"></script>
      </head>
      <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
      <div id="chartdiv" align="center">The chart will appear within this DIV. This text will be replaced by the chart.</div>
      <script type="text/javascript">
      var myChart = new FusionCharts("FCF_Column3D.swf", "myChartId", "600", "500");
      myChart.setDataURL("FusionTest01.xml");
      myChart.render("chartdiv");
      </script>
      </body>
      </html>

The chart, the script and the data are all in A5WebRoot.

I did notice that the script has this at the head so it's a special version for the free set:

* FusionCharts: Flash Player detection and Chart embedding.
      * Version 1.2.3F ( 22 November 2008) - Specialized for FusionChartsFREE
      * Checking Flash Version >=6 and added updateChartXML() for FREE Charts.

Anyway, it works successfully if I simply double click the file so it must be locating the chart and the xml data. It just doesn't if it is launched from the tabbed ui.

Could there be some settings in the local WAS that I need to look at or in the tabbed ui itself? I'm not sure where else to look as nothing I check seems to have any relevance.

Thanks again for your help, Steve.

Regards

Bob

Comment

I wish I had time to take this further with you, but I'm completely away from a computer for the next four days and under the gun today. All of what I've done, including my genies, uses the DataXML method, not the DataURL method so I don't have anything I can use for quick reference or testing. Bump this again early next week if you want if you still don't have an answer. And, of course, let us know any answer you find.
        -Steve
        sigpic

Comment

Well, I have actually managed to get this working.....it took an awful lot of trial and error and messing about with the WAS and the A5 security functions. Anyway, to cut the proverbial long story short, the problem was that .XML was not included in the Page Security, File Types allowed permissions list.

No matter where I placed the XML data, it would not load. This was nothing to do with the location but that the WAS was refusing permission to access the file.

I added .XML to the list and, lo and behold, the web page and its chart displayed and rendered correctly.

I'm always learning something new with Alpha Five!

Regards

Bob

BTW I should mention this forum thread from 2010 which pointed me in the right direction:

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...rity-framework

Comment

Steve - just noticed your reply as I was posting my answer - thanks again for keeping an eye on this. It was fun looking for thhis needle in the haystack!

Comment

Aha! Hadn't thought of that. Of course you'd already noted that you needed to allow the .swf file type -- one of the standard trouble-shooting steps I take with FusionCharts. But the .xml type did not occur to me. Good find! And now you can enjoy the terrific presentation of FusionCharts -- I wish I had more time to do more with them in my applications.
              -Steve
              sigpic

Comment

A few charts can really dress up an application. Thanks to Steve for helping me get going on these. Thought some of you would like to see a couple simple charts from a production application using Fusion Charts. These run in a tabbedUI. Learning to do the first one took 3 days, then I did 4 more in 1 day.
                screen1.jpgscreen2.jpg
                Pat Bremkamp
                MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Pat,

Nice job, they look rather special. Are you using the full version? If so, what do you make of the available charts/designs?

Regards

Bob

Comment

Bob,

These were made with FusionCharts XT. So far, I've only needed histograms and pie charts. More complex charts are available, but I prefer to make several simple charts rather than 1 or 2 complex ones.

I took the color selections out of the sample charts in the Fusion Charts documentation, but at some point I'm going to have to pick more color choices.

To create these, I generate the XML in the head section of the page and display it in the body. That way, they are always up to date.
                    Pat Bremkamp
                    MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Working...
                    X