Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

TabbedUI and PageLayout without A5 server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,
    Would it be possible to create TabbedUI or PageLayout pages where all the included components were HTML pages (in other words, no .a5w pages or .a5wcmp components) and then make them work without using the A5 Server?

Best regards,
    Felix

Re: TabbedUI and PageLayout without A5 server?

In a word, no..... what is the objective? Can you set it up in an iframe? Probably, Ihaven't personally tried. That STILL requires an A5 server to server of the a5w related content. In the near future the WAS will likely be done as a plug-in/add on/etc to IIS - but it will STILL BE NECESSARY.

Perhaps I misunderstand what you are asking?

Comment

Hi Jeff,
      With TabbedUI or PageLayout you can easily build some nifty user interfaces, especialy if you start fiddling with the Web Style Builder. Occasionally, some client might be interested in having a static website, so I was wondering if I could make use of Alpha Five to build the "base" interface that would contain the other html pages. That would wring more of the time invested in learning Alpha Five, especially for people (like me) who are not well-versed with CSS, Javascript, JQuery and so on.

I had the idea that maybe copying the CSS and doing a bit of "this and that", one could somehow use Alpha Five to build static web pages that would not need Alpha Five Server.

Regards,
      Felix

Comment

OK - I see where you are going. Answer is currently "no". In the future - when tied to IIS instead of the WAS - still "no", since the WAS (component) would have to be licensed.

Comment

Hi Jeff,
          So much for my optimistic idea. It seems I'm going to have to learn CSS, Javascript, JQuery and the rest of the whatever. I guess it will end up being good for building better Alpha Five applications. Thanks for your help.

Regards,
          Felix

Comment

Why would you be interested in building static pages when there's so much opportunity for doing smart stuff that can help companies & people perform better. If we are to get out of this crisis it's going to be with smart stuff!
            Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

The way to determine what you can and cannot do here is to create whatever components / pages you want to render, bring it up in the browser, go to Source, and copy all to a text file, renamed to .HTM extension. Then put that HTM file in a properly published A5 project folder, turn off the A5 web app server and then select that HTM file. It will open in your browser, see what you get.

It won't work too well because so much of A5 is rendered at run time. It dynamically creates reference to javascript resources, etc. Try a tabbed ui, you will get the menu and it looks like it will function, but nothing works.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Steve,
                Yes, that's more or less what I did, except placing the htm file in a properly published Alpha Five project folder. The result was not pretty. So it seems that it is because Alpha Five dynamically creates reference to javascript resources. At least my knowledge has been improved. Thanks.

Regards,
                Felix

Comment

I dont know if putting it in the published folder helps (I didn't review that close) but I know it references javascript and css using relative links, so it would expect those folders to be relative to where you placed your HTM page.
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper87 View Post
                    Why would you be interested in building static pages when there's so much opportunity for doing smart stuff that can help companies & people perform better. If we are to get out of this crisis it's going to be with smart stuff!
                    Frank I would like to second what you just said.

Comment

Working...
                    X