Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

ADOBE READER "X" - Version 10.1.2 Problem (* Important Read*)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADOBE READER "X" - Version 10.1.2 Problem (* Important Read*)

I just wanted to give everyone a "heads up" on this.

Over the past week, I have been inundated with calls from my over 300 application users that many of them are suddenly unable to "print" reports. What they actually mean is that when they click on the "Print" button and the Adobe reader normally opens the report in PDF format on the screen for them to view and then actually print, all they are getting now is a black screen. (The adobe program does actually open, but it will not render the page.)

This was really a problem to diagnose, as some users had no problems, while others (mostly the ones using Windows 7) seemed to have just started having this issue. (At first we thought it was a Win7 issue, but as it turns out it is not limited to that OS)

To make matters worse, when this happens, there is virtually no way to view or print a report, as it does not give the user the option to download the file and then open it later.

Well after days of troubleshooting on different types of machines, we finally discovered that the problem is limited to the combination of the most recent version of Adobe X Reader (10.1.2) and Internet Explorer Version 8+. Apparently anyone running IE 8 and above along with the the latest update for Adobe Reader will have this problem.

It does not seem to be a problem if the browser is Google Chrome, but I have not had time to test it in other browsers such as Firefox or Opera. (Maybe someone can run a test on these two browsers.) Since the majority of my users are police departments and they almost all use Internet Explorer, this is a serious problem for me.

So far, the "fix" has been to uninstall Adobe Version 10.1.2, and replace it with an earlier Version such as 10.1.1, or even back to Version 9.

Of course the ongoing problem is that with some government agencies, getting them to revert to an "old" version of any software is often a "tough sell," and still in others, even if they do revert to an earlier version, sooner or later someone will allow Adobe to update itself, and then they will be back to "square one."

I'm not sure if this is an Alpha Five problem (Amyuni) or an Adobe problem, but it is definitely a problem!

I wanted everyone to be aware of this, and to ask if any others have encountered the same problem.

-- Rich
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rich Hartnett; 02-02-2012, 07:23 AM. Reason: Added screen shots.
    Sergeant Richard Hartnett
    Hyattsville City Police Department
    Maryland

Re: ADOBE READER "X" - Version 10.1.2 Problem (* Important Read*)

Rich, this sounds like something Selwyn would want to know about. Suggest you alert him.

-- tom

Comment

Re: ADOBE READER "X" - Version 10.1.2 Problem (* Important Read *)

Thanks Tom. I was just penning an email to him!

-- Rich
      Maryland

Comment

While I understand that you had this problem, I did not. I have just updated my copy of Acrobat Reader X to V10.1.2 and running in IE 9 and also in IE8, I do not have any problem.
        In any event, the issue is not something Alpha has any control over.

Comment

Thanks for checking Selwyn. Jerry Brightbill confirmed that he had the same problem, although he was able to work around it by changing an IE Add-On setting. That fix did not work for me however.

I figured it probably wasn't an A5 problem, but thought it was worth checking with you over.

We'll keep working on it to see if we can find a solution.

Thanks
          Maryland

Comment

I just updated to 10.1.2 and am experiencing no problem with Firefox. But I do have the same problem with IE 9. What are the add-on setting changes?
            Last edited by frankbicknell; 01-28-2012, 09:40 AM.
            Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Thanks Frank, good to know.

Yes it does seem to be limited to Internet Explorer, as it works for you in Firefox and for me in Chrome.

Jerry suggested that disabling the Adobe Link Helper Add-On might cure the problem, and it did for him *temporarily,* but after rebooting the problem returned. I tried it and it didn't do anything for me. Since then, he has had sporadic results.

BTW, Adobe does acknowledge on their support page that their reader will not work in IE browsers on 64 bit machines.

Again thanks for the test, and we'll keep plugging away trying to find a cure.
              Last edited by Rich Hartnett; 02-02-2012, 07:25 AM.
              Maryland

Comment

I had problems in Chrome printing PDF's: the pdf disappeared from my screen. Definitely an Adobe issue as they have changed their print interface quite dramatically
                Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Some success! :)

Jerry Brightbill just had me try a little trick that seems to have had an impact on this problem. He suggested that I "uncheck" HTTP Keep Alive" and "Compression Enable Gzip" under the Performance tab on the Application Server.

This combination made the PDF document open up in my Win XP IE8 browser as it was supposed to. (It would go back to failing if I turned either option back on.)

I haven't checked with any of my Win7 or Vista users yet to see if it solves the "PDF-in-Browser" problem on their machines, but I will be conducting more tests later today.

Meanwhile, others may wish to try this fix to see if it resolves the problem on your end.
                  Maryland

Comment

Hi,

Is there any progress on this issue, I am desperate for an answer.

Thanks a lot

Comment

Did you try the solution listed above?

So far it seems to be working for me.
                      Maryland

Comment

Hi Rich

Thanks for bringing this up and thanks to Jerry for the workaround which seems to have fixed the issue for me!
                        Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Excellent Glen, glad I could help.

I'm curious, what operating system(s) have you tested it on?

I've been so busy I haven't had time to try it on anything but an XP box, but I really want to know if it solves the problem on Windows 7 or Vista.
                          Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hartnett View Post
                            Excellent Glen, glad I could help.

I'm curious, what operating system(s) have you tested it on?

I've been so busy I haven't had time to try it on anything but an XP box, but I really want to know if it solves the problem on Windows 7 or Vista.
                            I spotted it yesterday using IE9 on a 64bit Windows 7 pc. The workaround has resolved the issue for now!
                            Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

That's just what I wanted to hear!

Thanks Glen.
                              Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X