Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

What file to be given to client instead of Source Code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What file to be given to client instead of Source Code?

Hi,

We are running web application on our localhost.
    To run the webapplication on client side, What file we need to provide the client instead of the entire source code of the project in AlphaFive V11.

Android -- we give .apk file to instal and run the application.
    MS.Net -- we give .dll to instal and run the application.

So, in Alpha Five V11 what can we have? Please do provide information.

Thanks & Regards,
    Suvarchala.

Re: What file to be given to client instead of Source Code?

1) You can publish to your localhost, then give them a copy of everything under the published location on localhost. Here, the grids and dialog2 are compiled, but other objects like A5W pages are not compiled. It is not a true compile, you can still get at most (but not all) of the code by browsing the files.

2) You can commit much of your xbasic to "AEX" files which are totally compiled. An AEX file is similar to a DLL and it contains your user defined functions. You would include the AEX file in your package, but remove the code from the source, leaving only a function call.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Steve Wood,
      Thanks Steve for the information.

How to give the database tables backup for the client with .AEX files.....
      Please do provide me information.

Thanks & Regards,
      Suvarchala.

Comment

An AEX file only is used on any xbasic code that you have written in your application. It does not help you compile grids, dialogs, pages, etc. Everything in an AEX file is a function. For instance, I have a function named errorout() I use to standardize how I log errors in an SQL script. So I write that function under the Code tab in Alpha Five's main Control Panel, then during publishing I check the box to "compile functions into an .AEX file". By doing so my errorout() function works within my code. If you want the code to be complied (not visible) you have to add a line with "OPTION ENCRYPTED_TOKENS" above your code.

Now, I know what you are trying to accomplish, but I don't think you will get very far with the AEX option. It does not allow you to encrypt or compile your code "in mass" so you can deliver it without a client viewing the code. You have to be selective when committing something to an AEX file, my errorout() function as an example.

If you just publish to localhost and then send your client the published files plus the database files, that is almost all they need to operate. They or you need to also tweak the file named a5_application.ai because that file contains pointers to where the data is and other important run time parameters. You would probably need to tweak this to point to their data if in a different location than you have on your localhost.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Steve Wood,
          Thanks for the information.
          So, to encrypt my code I need to add a line with "OPTION ENCRYPTED_TOKENS" above my code, right?
          I have .AEX files with me. Do I need to zip the .AEX file and give to client, so that can he able to install this code in his machine and run on his local host?
          To publish on my server, so that the client anywhere in the world able to see the web application and play with it.

In AlphaFive V11, it is asking to provide ISP/Remote Server Address, Server Name, User Name and password and the link of the application. If I provide all the details can I able to host/ publish my application on Server and access from anywhere in the world?

Please guide me and provide me your valuabale guidance.

Thanks & Regards,
          Suvarchala.

Comment

It is hard to give a complete answer because I don't know what you placed in your AEX or anything about your application. But yes if you publish to a server with public internet access, the world will have access to that web site. Your AEX file would be included along with the same files such as the A5W, A5WCMP and other miscellaneous files that are part of your project. The AEX can be zipped or not, it would not matter.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Steve Wood,
              Thanks for the information.
              So, the entire project which is on my desktop, can be publish using the path of the project in my desktop.
              either by using IPS/ Remote Address or by any other VPS.

I have gone through the link below:
              http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/tiki-i...20on%20a%20VPS

If it is not the way to implement, please provide your way of implementing....

Thanks & Regards,
              Suvarhala.

Comment

That video has most of what you need to publish your application. There are a couple things you should be aware of when watching that video:
                • It was written for Alpha Five V9 so will be outdated in a few cases.
                • Because the video is outdated, the server VPS is Windows 2003 whereas you will likely be on Windows 2008.
                • Dave (the moderator) suggests 512K RAM, but the minimum should be 1GB for version 11 (which consumes more RAM).
                • He instructs to install Alpha Five Developer on the server. This is NOT advisable*. You would install only the Web Application Server on the VPS. Instead view at 12:30 where he discusses developing your application on your desktop and publishing to the remote server.
                • Because he installed the Developer on the VPS, he publishes to Localhost. You will be publishing to your server using FTP settings, not localhost.
                • Also at 11:20 he mentions to "Disconnect" the remote session. I don't think anyone bothers to disconnect or exit the remote session other than simply closing he remote session without any disconnect or logout.
                • Finally, I personally use FileZilla on the server to manage FTP rather than IIS.

*This is my advice, although many do install the Developer on the server.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Steve Wood,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I have to use FileZilla on the server to manage FTP to publish my application, while I host/ publish my project on web,
                  if I get any problem, I will ask your guidance to do it.
                  I believe you will be helping out me to host/ publish my project on my server.

Thanks alot once again.

Thanks & Regards,
                  Suvarchala.

Comment

Hi Steve Wood,

One more request, as you work on AlphaFive V11, can you provide me guidance on publishing my web application.
                    I believe you will be guiding me and provide your valuable suggestion.

Thanks & Regards,
                    Suvarchala.

Comment

Suvarchala,

I appreciate your trust, but the on the forum, just ask the question to everyone. There are lots of developers on this forum with valuable advice. When you ask someone by name to answer a question, that is Mentoring and is normally comes with a charge and would not take place on the public forum.
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Steve Wood,

I will follow your advice. If any information on what file to be given to the client, how to publish my web application.

Thanks & Regards,
                        Suvarchala.

Comment

Hi All,

Can anyone provide the following information on:

1. What file to be given to client instead of Source Code?
                          2. How can I publish/ Host my web application on server to view the application from anywhere?

I need the above information using Alpha Five V11.
                          If any suggestions/ guidance / links will be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
                          Suvarchala.

Thanks & Regards,
                          Suvarchala.

Comment

Originally posted by Suvarchala View Post
                            Hi All,

Can anyone provide the following information on:

1. What file to be given to client instead of Source Code?
                            2. How can I publish/ Host my web application on server to view the application from anywhere?

I need the above information using Alpha Five V11.
                            If any suggestions/ guidance / links will be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
                            Suvarchala.

Thanks & Regards,
                            Suvarchala.
                            I think Steve gave you all the answers howto publish and what todo and more .....
                            There a lot of NEW developers with less BASIC questions and problems then you as I review your post on the board.
                            So what is your question?

Comment

Hi,
                              My question was, I have developed an web application on my desktop which is running on my local host.
                              What files do I need to the client, so that he can able to dump in his desktop and run on his local host.

Other than .AEX, wt else can be given?
                              Alone .AEX files are fine to support database tables too.?

Please provide information on that.

Thanks & Regards,
                              Suvarchala.

Comment

Working...
                              X